STICKY What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

Wow you guys really are quick to respond! What a great welcome. I'm 1/1 on my personal opinion from what I learned in this thread lol so thank you to all posters above and your advice.

My ultimate goal has been set on an LJ. This all stemmed from not wanting to pay more to install a roof rack on my sedan than I did for my kayak that I need to transport. Multiple week rabbit hole working from home in front of a computer all day and now a TJ/LJ is all I can think about lol.

I am starting to realize my expectations are a bit high and I am not sure what I want to spend, so I am open to any TJ if it is a good deal for me. Ultimately I want something that I know I can resell a few years down the line for a good return if I don't originally get an LJ and find one or if I simply want something new to look at or upgrade to.
You're aware that a tj or lj doesn't have a factory rack or anything to tie to other than the roll bar with the top off correct. But there are always ways to make it work.

10 years ago on the 4th.
41020_1508484636609_8248304_n.jpg

Reactions: sideproject
6k. A rebuilt title essentially halves the value. If you ever go to sell that, you won’t get anywhere close to 12k, only a desperate fool would pay that.

Even a desperate fool like myself? Lol. I dont mind paying $6k for something that may be hard to resell. I think it is interesting that it is rebuilt due to it being stolen and it not being from an accident... unless thats a lie

You're aware that a tj or lj doesn't have a factory rack or anything to tie to other than the roll bar with the top off correct. But there are always ways to make it work.

10 years ago on the 4th.
View attachment 169048
Ha thats great! And yes. That is the reason I actually started looking into an LJ solely for more cargo room. My idea is just tossing the yak in the back with the 2nd row down and putting a red flag on the end

Reactions: Alex01
Hi all,

Newbie here looking for opinion! I learned ALOT from this post and I don't think this rust is worth it. Thoughts? Testing my knowledge at the very least.

Also, how do we feel about a rebuilt title? Seller explained it was due to a theft, not an accident.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ctd/d/temple-hills-2005-jeep-wrangler-lj-58k/7132866559.html
I believe anyone can order the CARFAX report with just the VIN. It should show any accidents (that were reported) and I think it would list the theft/recovery in some way that was obvious.

Also on that rebuilt one, the guy has a weird definition of "No Rust"

rust.jpg

Last edited:
I believe anyone can order the CARFAX report with just the VIN. It should show any accidents and I think it would list the theft/recovery in some way that was obvious.

Also on that rebuilt one, the guy has a weird definition of "No Rust"

View attachment 169064

lmao I've quickly learned "no rust" = 6 characters of space taken up in a listing that are pointless to read

Even a desperate fool like myself? Lol. I dont mind paying $6k for something that may be hard to resell. I think it is interesting that it is rebuilt due to it being stolen and it not being from an accident... unless thats a lie

The problem is that it doesn't matter what the reason is for the branded title, if it has a branded title and you buy it for 12k, you'll only ever be able to sell it for 6-8k tops, unless you get lucky and some dummy who doesn't know any better pays 12k for it.

For that reason, I wouldn't pay anything over 8k for it tops, but even then I'd rather find something better.

There's no reason to be desperate. Do you know how many clean TJs are out there for around this same price (with clean titles too)? Plenty, I assure you :)

Don't be hasty when buying. This is one of the biggest (and stupidest mistakes you can make).

The problem is that it doesn't matter what the reason is for the branded title, if it has a branded title and you buy it for 12k, you'll only ever be able to sell it for 6-8k tops, unless you get lucky and some dummy who doesn't know any better pays 12k for it.

For that reason, I wouldn't pay anything over 8k for it tops, but even then I'd rather find something better.

There's no reason to be desperate. Do you know how many clean TJs are out there for around this same price (with clean titles too)? Plenty, I assure you :)

Don't be hasty when buying. This is one of the biggest (and stupidest mistakes you can make).

Haha I was joking. I am on the opposite end and it will take a lot for me to pull the trigger actually. Stars will have to align, the weather will have to be just right, there will need to be a cure for COVID, etc. lol.

I am starting my rental property investing so I am nervous spending too much on a depreciating asset like a vehicle right now, BUT I have a one track mind and I NEED one haha.

Reactions: Chris
Haha I was joking. I am on the opposite end and it will take a lot for me to pull the trigger actually. Stars will have to align, the weather will have to be just right, there will need to be a cure for COVID, etc. lol.

I am starting my rental property investing so I am nervous spending too much on a depreciating asset like a vehicle right now, BUT I have a one track mind and I NEED one haha.

I hear you. If you're okay with looking out of state, there are some VERY clean TJs to be had down south in places like Alabama, Florida, the west coast, and the south west as well. Basically anywhere where they don't use salt on the roads.

I hear you. If you're okay with looking out of state, there are some VERY clean TJs to be had down south in places like Alabama, Florida, the west coast, and the south west as well. Basically anywhere where they don't use salt on the roads.

Yep that is what I gathered from this thread. I am going to stalk the "for sale" forums here and hope I find something. I feel much more comfortable going after something someone has posted on this site. Do you think going for a high mileage LJ to fit my $8k cash budget in great body condition is a better investment when it comes to resale value than a newer TJ with lower miles that I can finance at a higher price?

Lat time I check most TJs are still not a good investment in many ways because you keep on fixing stuffs that are not even broken :)

Last edited:
Yep that is what I gathered from this thread. I am going to stalk the "for sale" forums here and hope I find something. I feel much more comfortable going after something someone has posted on this site. Do you think going for a high mileage LJ to fit my $8k cash budget in great body condition is a better investment when it comes to resale value than a newer TJ with lower miles that I can finance at a higher price?
The nice thing about TJs is they have really gotten as low as they are going to go in terms of resale value. I don't see them going any lower than they already are. That being said, while it will never be an "investment", you should always be able to sell the vehicle at least for what you paid for it, assuming it doesn't become rusted out or beat up.

Given the choice between a TJ and a TJ Unlimited (sometimes referred to as LJ), I would pick the one with the lower miles and in better condition, as that is going to be the one that holds it's value better.

As far as mods go, if you use top shelf parts and tastefully modify it, you may be able to get some money back out of the mods when you sell it, depending on what you use.

For instance, selling a TJ with a Currie / Savvy lift in the same shape as a TJ with a Rough Country lift, I can tell you that the former is going to command more money to the educated buyer.

The nice thing about TJs is they have really gotten as low as they are going to go in terms of resale value. I don't see them going any lower than they already are. That being said, while it will never be an "investment", you should always be able to sell the vehicle at least for what you paid for it, assuming it doesn't become rusted out or beat up.

Given the choice between a TJ and a TJ Unlimited (sometimes referred to as LJ), I would pick the one with the lower miles and in better condition, as that is going to be the one that holds it's value better.

As far as mods go, if you use top shelf parts and tastefully modify it, you may be able to get some money back out of the mods when you sell it, depending on what you use.

For instance, selling a TJ with a Currie / Savvy lift in the same shape as a TJ with a Rough Country lift, I can tell you that the former is going to command more money to the educated buyer.

Thats all really good to know! I need to stop using the word "investment" when talking about vehicles lol. I know they won't make me money, but I just want to spend a minimum amount for the time I own it. I honestly just want something stock.

I have to start reading about different brands and cheap vs performance/professional grade. Thanks so much Chris! I can undoubtedly say this is the most help I've ever gotten from a forum upon immediately signing up.

Can't wait to be apart of the fam

Thats all really good to know! I need to stop using the word "investment" when talking about vehicles lol. I know they won't make me money, but I just want to spend a minimum amount for the time I own it. I honestly just want something stock.

I have to start reading about different brands and cheap vs performance/professional grade. Thanks so much Chris! I can undoubtedly say this is the most help I've ever gotten from a forum upon immediately signing up.

Can't wait to be apart of the fam

You're welcome!

You'll find everyone here to be very helpful (albeit a bit sarcastic sometimes), so I'm glad it shows.

The nice thing about TJs like I said is that they are done depreciating for the most part. Go buy a brand new JL and within 5 years you'll have lost a lot of money on depreciation.

With a TJ, you should at least be able to recover most of your money, should you ever need to.

You're welcome!

You'll find everyone here to be very helpful (albeit a bit sarcastic sometimes), so I'm glad it shows.

The nice thing about TJs like I said is that they are done depreciating for the most part. Go buy a brand new JL and within 5 years you'll have lost a lot of money on depreciation.

With a TJ, you should at least be able to recover most of your money, should you ever need to.

That is comforting to hear! My cousin is a used car dealer and buys wholesale so maybe I can get lucky through him. Can't wait to be the one contributing and helping the newbies! Please keep my in mind if you come acrss anything good under $10k!! Thanks again

Hey Gombajuice, if you are ready to buy one just post some photos here before you sign the papers :)

Oh for sure dude!! I really appreciate your help and everyone elses. Since I am expanding my search outside of an LJ, time to learn about the nuances of the TJ's!