STICKY What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

Hey everyone

I'm new here, but I tried to read the forum as much as possible before I came wandering in asking questions. I have reached out to a dealer about the TJ below, it seems incredibly inexpensive based on what I've seen. And yes I realize it's a 4 cylinder. I've asked for pictures of the frame to check for rust, and I realize this appears to be a buy here/pay here type of place, but I was wondering if this is suspiciously cheap for a TJ, even a 4 banger.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/14009453

Hey everyone

I'm new here, but I tried to read the forum as much as possible before I came wandering in asking questions. I have reached out to a dealer about the TJ below, it seems incredibly inexpensive based on what I've seen. And yes I realize it's a 4 cylinder. I've asked for pictures of the frame to check for rust, and I realize this appears to be a buy here/pay here type of place, but I was wondering if this is suspiciously cheap for a TJ, even a 4 banger.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/14009453

The rust on the rockers doesn't bode well for rust elsewhere on the Jeep.

The rust on the rockers doesn't bode well for rust elsewhere on the Jeep.

X2 to this. Not to mention the paint is sub-par, and the entire vehicle looks like it was neglected it's entire life, which the price reflects.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts the underside is rusted out.

I don't even think I need to see more photos to say stay away from this one.

You get what you pay for, and this is proof enough of that I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone. You're not joking about getting back to people in a few minutes. I figured it was too good to be true. I'll post pics if the dealer sends them, but this probably saved me a 150 mile or so round trip.

Also I did not even notice that bubble on the rocker until I read jodomcfrodo's message. So thanks again.

Hello!

I've just joined this forum, looking to buy my first Jeep, and in the market for a TJ 2.5L (it won't be offroad really so gas mileage is more important to me than engine size). I've been reading this thread obsessively, and am trying to educate myself as much as possible while hunting!

I live in the UK, so rust is obviously more of a concern here.... I've also seen a lot of Japanese imports listed for sale, which I think I'd prefer to avoid if poss (unless advice to the contrary).

This came up recently; I have asked the seller for pics of the underside, and also asked him if I could pay for an inspection at a local garage (as per @Moab's advice!). The seller sent the attached pics and said an inspection would be fine.

I think I know the answer but... too much rust?

It's listed at £6,000 and done 83,000 miles.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=392929570415

Appreciate any thoughts.

Sophie

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Hello!

I've just joined this forum, looking to buy my first Jeep, and in the market for a TJ 2.5L (it won't be offroad really so gas mileage is more important to me than engine size). I've been reading this thread obsessively, and am trying to educate myself as much as possible while hunting!

I live in the UK, so rust is obviously more of a concern here.... I've also seen a lot of Japanese imports listed for sale, which I think I'd prefer to avoid if poss (unless advice to the contrary).

This came up recently; I have asked the seller for pics of the underside, and also asked him if I could pay for an inspection at a local garage (as per @Moab's advice!). The seller sent the attached pics and said an inspection would be fine.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=392929570415

Appreciate any thoughts.

Sophie

View attachment 192173
View attachment 192174
View attachment 192175
View attachment 192176

I would avoid that thing like the plague. Given how bad they rust is in that area, I can guarantee you the inside of the frame is even worse.

They also conveniently forgot to take photos of the control arm brackets and the skid plate, the two most common areas for really bad rust.

Seriously, keep looking, that thing is a dud.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Hello!

Appreciate any thoughts.

Sophie

View attachment 192173
View attachment 192174
View attachment 192175
View attachment 192176
Tell us more about the japanese imports? Japanese import engines used to be a good deal. As they are only allowed to put so many miles on their cars. And they must be junked, parted or sold overseas. If that is still the case. I wouldnt mind a japanese import. As long as steering wheel is on the right side for u.

Tell us more about the japanese imports? Japanese import engines used to be a good deal. As they are only allowed to put so many miles on their cars. And they must be junked, parted or sold overseas. If that is still the case. I wouldnt mind a japanese import. As long as steering wheel is on the right side for u.

Hi @Moab,

That's interesting to know - I didn't know about the mileage limit, but that makes sense, loads of these Japanese imports have pretty low mileage (50-70k). Conveniently, in Japan they drive on the left - same as in the UK! One difference seems to be that the speedometer is in kmph instead of mph, but that's pretty minor.

This dealer for example seems to get new imports in every week, so I'm planning to go check them out when I have a free day. Their prices are a little higher than private sellers obviously, but maybe there's room to haggle. http://www.atlanmotors.co.uk/jeeps/#search/

-

On a different topic - I just called up this company about the below car, and asked for pictures of the underside, which they didn't have. There was a long story about how they've ordered a new roof for it (it's a soft top not hard top as listed), and the guy hadn't turned up to install it yada yada. I asked about rust and the guy said they'd had a professional welder do some work on the underside so that wouldn't be a problem in the future.

What does that mean? How can you weld it up to stop it ever rusting?

And, as an aside, how easy would it be to get some back seats put back in?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...tising-location=at_cars&model=WRANGLER&page=2

Hi @Moab,

That's interesting to know - I didn't know about the mileage limit, but that makes sense, loads of these Japanese imports have pretty low mileage (50-70k). Conveniently, in Japan they drive on the left - same as in the UK! One difference seems to be that the speedometer is in kmph instead of mph, but that's pretty minor.

This dealer for example seems to get new imports in every week, so I'm planning to go check them out when I have a free day. Their prices are a little higher than private sellers obviously, but maybe there's room to haggle. http://www.atlanmotors.co.uk/jeeps/#search/

-

On a different topic - I just called up this company about the below car, and asked for pictures of the underside, which they didn't have. There was a long story about how they've ordered a new roof for it (it's a soft top not hard top as listed), and the guy hadn't turned up to install it yada yada. I asked about rust and the guy said they'd had a professional welder do some work on the underside so that wouldn't be a problem in the future.

What does that mean? How can you weld it up to stop it ever rusting?

And, as an aside, how easy would it be to get some back seats put back in?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...tising-location=at_cars&model=WRANGLER&page=2

Putting back seats in that one would be easy. However, I don't see any photos of the frame, so I can't give you a good opinion on it.

You should be more inclined to buy a TJ without any rust repairs on the underside. I'm not saying they can't be done right, but I would suspect that more often than not they were cheap and only repaired small sections of the frame.

If a frame has enough rust to repair sections of it, you can almost be certain that there are other sections you can't see with lots of rust.

My best advice would be to look for one without ANY frame repairs and detailed frame pictures. You might end up waiting 6 months or more to find the right one, but if this is going to be a vehicle you keep for a long time, I would strongly suggest waiting for the right one.

Hey guys, new here. Recently got in the market for a TJ and found a decent looking 2004 Rubicon; unfortunately, it's in PA so its got some rust on the underside. Seller says it's surface rust but I'm not sure. Think I should pass on this one?

Attachments

• received_962332670931636.jpeg
    received_962332670931636.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 161
  • received_380855506635890.jpeg
    received_380855506635890.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 168
  • received_636033037067240.jpeg
    received_636033037067240.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 167
  • received_793985341402902.jpeg
    received_793985341402902.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 164
Hey guys, new here. Recently got in the market for a TJ and found a decent looking 2004 Rubicon; unfortunately, it's in PA so its got some rust on the underside. Seller says it's surface rust but I'm not sure. Think I should pass on this one?

That is NOT just surface rust. That thing is in bad shape. Walk away!