STICKY What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information.

I thought the price was a little high as well and I intend to negotiate before making any commitments. I've been surprised at how fast the clean Jeep's are selling in the PNW, especially if you can find a one owner with no rust. I have also been shocked at what some people are asking for stuff that's pretty beat up. It never ceases to amaze me on the amount of black spray paint being added to the underside of these things before they hit the market.

I'm considering a couple others as I would prefer to find one with a hard top and/or both tops if possible. I am only looking on the west coast as I would like to look it over in person before making the deal.

Obviously the lower the mileage the better... What are the thoughts on the higher mileage options (90K+) out there if they have maintenance history available?

Obviously the lower the mileage the better... What are the thoughts on the higher mileage options (90K+) out there if they have maintenance history available?
I wouldn't trust any history given by a previous owner. I would consider a Jeep that old with under 60k just as risky as one with over 200k, the high mileage Jeep probably has more new rubber seals than the low mileage one. I'd personally still consider Jeeps well beyond 200k but at that point I'd start to factor in engine/trans rebuild costs. For me 60k and 150k are risk wise very similar, they are broken in but not worn out.

Reactions: hardtopper
I want to lift my jeep 2” since I have 31” tires and not a lot of clearance, I was just going to do a rough country until I can get a bigger lift down the road, do I just need the lift or do I need other stuff too?

under 60k just as risky as one with over 200k,
Mechanically maybe. But you have all the extra wear and tear on everything else.
My Jeep was 48k when we bought it last year and I’d bet thousands you can’t show me a 200k or even 100k miles in as good a shape inside and out.
It also helps when the PO installs all new suspension components 😎

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Thanks Nightmare9! I would completely agree. Sometimes it's nice to be done with the search and just move on with the intended adventures. Ironically, I own a boat I bought new in 2005 under similar circumstances because it was Summer and the family was ready to go to the lake. That's a nice looking LJ in the photo!

Thank you Pagrey, great advice! I will definitely consider your information in my search. I have found it interesting in the difference between the level of attention given by each of the current/previous owners on the first three LJ's I looked at so far...

Anyone interested in buying a boat? 🍻

Anyone interested in buying a boat? 🍻
We have used our boat a bunch this summer.

2 Full days at Lake Elsinore (aka SmellSomeMore)
3 Full days on Bass Lake
5 Days on Shaver Lake
4 Full days at Long Beach Marina (including 18 miles down to Newport)

If I can find at least one other person, I want to make the 28 mile trip over to Catalina.

Definitely happy with the purchase. Also on a related note, this 2011 boat had 15 hours on the motors when we bought it in June. We now have 45 hours on them :)
2.jpg

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
If I can find at least one other person, I want to make the 28 mile trip over to Catalina.
It's about 20 miles from Channel Islands harbor to the East end of Santa Cruz and Smugglers Cove. If you have a good anchor you can spend the night. It is so much nicer than Catalina out there. I've done it in a 28 foot Skipjack but there are always smaller boats anchored as well. You can dive in the water and not get garbage stuck in your teeth. Worth a day trip at a minimum if you don't want to go all in. Obviously check the swells.

That is a beautiful boat AND I'm envious of your time on the water this summer. Nice work!

I hate to admit we haven't had our boat out since the summer of 2018. Our priorities seemed to have changed a little after we got our boy through college. Don't get me wrong, we still play a lot. However, I've come to the realization I have too many hobbies and not enough damn time (and/or money) to keep up with all of them.

Here's our boat behind the truck camper set up which we've been enjoying since 2019. I also have a v-nosed enclosed trailer which I tow to haul our dual sport motorcycles.
Truck Camper  Boat.jpg

Included is a photo of my wife and Caddis the Adventure Doddle from our two week trip to Eastern Oregon in July with the truck camper and bikes. Unfortunately it was too hot to ride most days after about Noon. I made sure we were camped close to water so we always had a place to cool off in the afternoons.
Caddis The Adventure Doodle 007 070521.jpg

I think a Jeep would make a nice addition and should tow pretty easy behind the truck.

Hello,

Im
About to pull the trigger on a 2004 JL fully built. I miss Jeeps, come from a long line of JKs but since my family grew I have to give them up. This LJ will be my weekend toy maybe a daily driver. The wife is concern about the asking price. Here are the specifications, some pictures and the sale price:

143,000 miles
Clayton 4.5” long arm
Adams drive shaft
Trail gear 17” beadlocks
37x12.50 r17 nitto ridge grapplers
4.56 gears front and rear
Novak transfercase cable shifter
teraflex balljoints
Savvy aluminum gas tank skid
Anti rock sway bar in the front
Metal cloak front fenders and rear fenders
Poison spyder rock sliders
Poison spyder aluminum corner armor
Posion spyder aluminum hood louver
Max bilt led tail lights
Led front head lights and turn signals
MONSTALINED tan body and in tub.
Bartact seat covers
Artec coil brackets in rear
Fox shocks with adjustable reservoir

Truck was pulled apart for a few months. Chassis was primed and top coated to prevent rust. Body was painted in monstaliner tan.

Engine and trans in great shape. Took that 7 New radiator, throttle body spacer, timing cover, timing chain and gears, oil changes every 3,000. New valve cover gasket, SYE, adams driveshaft, all new rod ends for the currie steering, brand new teraflex ball joints

$16K

1C04E4F2-59FA-49B6-BDEC-5E59E5ECCEDE.jpeg

50DB9C98-E456-4935-B39A-AF4641279B47.jpeg

Hello,

Im
About to pull the trigger on a 2004 JL fully built. I miss Jeeps, come from a long line of JKs but since my family grew I have to give them up. This LJ will be my weekend toy maybe a daily driver. The wife is concern about the asking price. Here are the specifications, some pictures and the sale price:

143,000 miles
Clayton 4.5” long arm
Adams drive shaft
Trail gear 17” beadlocks
37x12.50 r17 nitto ridge grapplers
4.56 gears front and rear
Novak transfercase cable shifter
teraflex balljoints
Savvy aluminum gas tank skid
Anti rock sway bar in the front
Metal cloak front fenders and rear fenders
Poison spyder rock sliders
Poison spyder aluminum corner armor
Posion spyder aluminum hood louver
Max bilt led tail lights
Led front head lights and turn signals
MONSTALINED tan body and in tub.
Bartact seat covers
Artec coil brackets in rear
Fox shocks with adjustable reservoir

Truck was pulled apart for a few months. Chassis was primed and top coated to prevent rust. Body was painted in monstaliner tan.

Engine and trans in great shape. Took that 7 New radiator, throttle body spacer, timing cover, timing chain and gears, oil changes every 3,000. New valve cover gasket, SYE, adams driveshaft, all new rod ends for the currie steering, brand new teraflex ball joints

$16k
First of all…got pics?

If everything is as you say it is, then it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Thanks. It looks sick. Trying to convince the wife but she’s not to happy about it…

16k is giving it away.

Of course until I see that frame I would say be weary. DO NOT BUY IT unless you see photos of the frame and underside in detail. I can’t stress this enough! If it’s rusted out then it’s not worth even close to 16k.

Oh shit, I just saw that some moron lined the frame. Stay away if you ask me. People who do that are almost always hiding rust.

16k is giving it away.

Of course until I see that frame I would say be weary. DO NOT BUY IT unless you see photos of the frame and underside in detail. I can’t stress this enough! If it’s rusted out then it’s not worth even close to 16k.
Let me know what you think about those frame pictures I posted before. Thanks for your feedback

Let me know what you think about those frame pictures I posted before. Thanks for your feedback
Wow, that frame looks clean. I would buy that thing ASAP. He’s basically giving it away at that price. I’m guessing it won’t be for sale long.

I’d pass personally. There’s much cleaner ones out there and I’m guessing the inside of that frame is bad.
I had a feeling, thank you for quick response. Was told the frame had no rust and then they send these pics. The jeep is 4.5 hours away from me, so I’m relying heavily on pics and opinions.