STICKY What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

Thanks Alex01. I hope to be back in town in time to check it out with her Tuesday afternoon. As long as the rest of the frame and the floorboards check out (actually as long as everything else checks out as well), the frame looks like it will be a good project for us to do together. Now I'm down a digital rabbit hole of Eastwood IFC, Fluid Film, POR-15 and drain holes. 😂 And that bracket... that piqued my curiosity as well. Quick question, where should she/we measure to check how high it is lifted?

Instead of a wire wheel try these out... they wont scuff the existing paint or go into the metal... that surface rust will come right off... and the flex extensions...IMO find a stock airbox also... good luck looks nice!!

Brushes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F527F0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Flex: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G575MV3/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Instead of a wire wheel try these out... they wont scuff the existing paint or go into the metal... that surface rust will come right off... and the flex extensions...IMO find a stock airbox also... good luck looks nice!!

Brushes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F527F0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Flex: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G575MV3/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks for the links. I should be able to check this out with my daughter tomorrow. Looking forward to it! With regards to price, if this was pre-2020 then I would think it's overpriced, but in today's market I think it's very competitive. Sure, we could wait another season or two for the prices to go down, but time is money. It's funny, I love watching TJ's sell for a king's ransom on BAT. Definitely more dollars than sense over there. 😵‍💫

The best thing about this one is that it's local, and we can simply drive 40 minutes to have a look. If it doesn't check out, then it's an easy pass and only 40 minutes home. Most of the other TJ's/LJ's that have raised our interest are always 1000+ miles away on the East Coast. There always seems to be a lot of listings in Florida and Texas. What's up with that? Also, I check the JEEPS FOR SALE and FOR SALE FINDS sections here several times a day. Lol. We very much appreciate all the help we've received on wranglerjtforum.com... Thank You!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
Sounds like it may take a little longer to check it out. They've got it in service for the following items to be completed before they release it for sale.

EA491972-0D3C-4958-ACB0-7067A47A24EC.jpeg

How easy, or how common is it to bend stock LCA's? Also, does anybody recognize the roof rack? I'm wondering how the rear mounts are attached, and if there's going to be any damage underneath the front and/or rear mounts.

Also... I feel like I may be over utilizing this thread. If I am, please let me know, and I will start a new one ASAP. 🙂

Thanks for the links. I should be able to check this out with my daughter tomorrow. Looking forward to it! With regards to price, if this was pre-2020 then I would think it's overpriced, but in today's market I think it's very competitive. Sure, we could wait another season or two for the prices to go down, but time is money. It's funny, I love watching TJ's sell for a king's ransom on BAT. Definitely more dollars than sense over there. 😵‍💫

The best thing about this one is that it's local, and we can simply drive 40 minutes to have a look. If it doesn't check out, then it's an easy pass and only 40 minutes home. Most of the other TJ's/LJ's that have raised our interest are always 1000+ miles away on the East Coast. There always seems to be a lot of listings in Florida and Texas. What's up with that? Also, I check the JEEPS FOR SALE and FOR SALE FINDS sections here several times a day. Lol. We very much appreciate all the help we've received on wranglerjtforum.com... Thank You!
If you like it and want it might want to find a way to secure it so you get first right of refusal if possible. I could see someone swinging in and buy, the dealer will likely sell to the first one there once listed.

If you like it and want it might want to find a way to secure it so you get first right of refusal if possible. I could see someone swinging in and buy, the dealer will likely sell to the first one there once listed.

Ha! We saw it within minutes of the online listing. I called to let them know that we'd like to put down a refundable deposit to be given right of first refusal… The guy had no idea what I was talking about. I had to rephrase, and say that we wanted to be given first option to buy. 🤣 Anyhow, they did accept a refundable deposit on credit card. now we are just waiting for it to get out of their service department. They won't let us take a look until it's done. Either way, I'm back earlier than expected so that we can both look at it together.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Depending on how handy you are and what your plans were for the rig you might offer to buy it BEFORE they do some of that work. Like if you planned on a lift and quality control arms. Same with the ball joints. If they are like many shops, they'll replace them with the cheaper brands where you would use a quality brand.

Most racks are removeable and will flip towards the rear for top removal & install. I'm not sure what the brand is.

Depending on how handy you are and what your plans were for the rig you might offer to buy it BEFORE they do some of that work. Like if you planned on a lift and quality control arms. Same with the ball joints. If they are like many shops, they'll replace them with the cheaper brands where you would use a quality brand.

Most racks are removeable and will flip towards the rear for top removal & install. I'm not sure what the brand is.

Thanks for the advice. We do work on our own vehicles. Honestly, the thought of somebody else touching my Jeep fills me with dread. Lol. I would much rather install components of our choice, including BJ's, CA's, and tires… But they won't let it roll off the lot without without addressing the service and repairs listed above.

Reactions: Wildman
The endoscope revealed that the frame was in very good condition. We could find no signs of deterioration on the inside. The remainder of the Jeep however... lots and lots of little things. It just wasn't the right one for her at this time. The search will continue. I've learned enough on this thread alone, that if we do happen to find anything in the future, I'll be sure to just start my own thread. Again, thank you so much.

The endoscope revealed that the frame was in very good condition. We could find no signs of deterioration on the inside. The remainder of the Jeep however... lots and lots of little things. It just wasn't the right one for her at this time. The search will continue. I've learned enough on this thread alone, that if we do happen to find anything in the future, I'll be sure to just start my own thread. Again, thank you so much.

it's a small world. Especially in Colorado. I'm headed to look at this LJ tomorrow at 2:00. Should I run?

-Scott
Longmont, Colorado

it's a small world. Especially in Colorado. I'm headed to look at this LJ tomorrow at 2:00. Should I run?

-Scott
Longmont, Colorado

You're in luck! The salesman assured me that it was owned by an elderly couple, and that they had never taken it off road. No shit... he really did say that. Lol.

You're going to find lots of missing paint, particularly along the door sills were people didn't lift their feet, as well as the rear gate and various other places. One odd paint defect is in the middle of the hood. The paint is lifting up in a crease-like fashion and splitting. I'm not sure what would've caused it, maybe excessive heat in the engine bay or poor bodywork? There are lots of spots like this. Imagine if you took a very sharp razor blade and put slits in the paint. I can see the paint on the the hood wearing away rather quickly. IMO the paint is in rough condition, and will require a full paint job if you want it done right. Not something we really wanted to get into at this point.

The bolts that hold the rear rack brackets do go right through the body… So there's that.

CC48EBC9-334A-46BC-AE0A-B90D6A3C7F8B.jpeg

One thing that bothered me was the cover for the passenger side airbag. The lines are not evenly spaced along the bottom edge. There is a significant gap on the left side… See attached picture and arrow. This is a different jeep, but that's where the gap is. I wish I would've snapped some pictures, but I just didn't think about it at the time.

FD2A9636-98C4-43AF-A4D6-DE1FDD17E641.jpeg

We were able to engage/disengage 4H + 4L with ease. Turning full passenger in a circle was uneventful. Full driver in a circle causes a shutter in the front end. Maybe something is rubbing? When backing up, you can feel the shutter mid to rear end, don't know what this was. Also when we got back, started getting a squeal, sounded like a belt, but I didn't investigate any further.

Took it out on residential roads, as well as highway. Drove straight as an arrow. Purposefully hit small potholes and manhole covers, no shimmy or DW. The brakes are very responsive. No cruise control, if that something you're interested in.

Frame appeared to be very solid. It actually looked better than it did in the pictures. The endoscope revealed no deterioration on the inside. Floorboards were good from underneath. We pulled up the carpet, front and rear, and found no deterioration.

New tires are Kumho Road Venture AT52 285/75r16. New ball joints… I don't know what brand they installed. New front LCAs. PO installed OME shocks. Don't know how tall the springs are. Forgot to check if there's a body left.

Also, the colored indicator on the AT shifter doesn't line up with the proper gear… Don't know if that's a common thing or not.

Last edited:
One funny thing... my daughter could not remove the key from the ignition. She's never been in a car where the key was pulled back for accessory mode. Therefore, it was still locked in the ignition when she pulled it all the way back. Oh, and she had never used manual windows prior to this. I look forward to the day she finds a high beam switch on the floor, or a column shift. 😂

• Haha
One funny thing... my daughter could not remove the key from the ignition. She's never been in a car where the key was pulled back for accessory mode. Therefore, it was still locked in the ignition when she pulled it all the way back. Oh, and she had never used manual windows prior to this. I look forward to the day she finds a high beam switch on the floor, or a column shift. 😂

Yeah the jeep was the first time my son saw/used manual windows too.

You're in luck! The salesman assured me that it was owned by an elderly couple, and that they had never taken it off road. No shit... he really did say that. Lol.

You're going to find lots of missing paint, particularly along the door sills were people didn't lift their feet, as well as the rear gate and various other places. One odd paint defect is in the middle of the hood. The paint is lifting up in a crease-like fashion and splitting. I'm not sure what would've caused it, maybe excessive heat in the engine bay or poor bodywork? There are lots of spots like this. Imagine if you took a very sharp razor blade and put slits in the paint. I can see the paint on the the hood wearing away rather quickly. IMO the paint is in rough condition, and will require a full paint job if you want it done right. Not something we really wanted to get into at this point.

The bolts that hold the rear rack brackets do go right through the body… So there's that.

View attachment 370934

One thing that bothered me was the cover for the passenger side airbag. The lines are not evenly spaced along the bottom edge. There is a significant gap on the left side… See attached picture and arrow. This is a different jeep, but that's where the gap is. I wish I would've snapped some pictures, but I just didn't think about it at the time.

View attachment 370933

We were able to engage/disengage 4H + 4L with ease. Turning full passenger in a circle was uneventful. Full driver in a circle causes a shutter in the front end. Maybe something is rubbing? When backing up, you can feel the shutter mid to rear end, don't know what this was. Also when we got back, started getting a squeal, sounded like a belt, but I didn't investigate any further.

Took it out on residential roads, as well as highway. Drove straight as an arrow. Purposefully hit small potholes and manhole covers, no shimmy or DW. The brakes are very responsive. No cruise control, if that something you're interested in.

Frame appeared to be very solid. It actually looked better than it did in the pictures. The endoscope revealed no deterioration on the inside. Floorboards were good from underneath. We pulled up the carpet, front and rear, and found no deterioration.

New tires are Kumho Road Venture AT52 285/75r16. New ball joints… I don't know what brand they installed. New front LCAs. PO installed OME shocks. Don't know how tall the springs are. Forgot to check if there's a body left.

Also, the colored indicator on the AT shifter doesn't line up with the proper gear… Don't know if that's a common thing or not.

Holy cow! Thanks for such a thorough reply. I owe you a beer or two. This is all great information.
Seems like it would be a good fit for me…at a different price.

Seems like we are looking for a similar vehicle and all across the country as well. There is a white (my preferred color) 2005 LJ that just popped up in Facebook today. It’s exactly what I am looking for but terrified to bid without a thorough inspection. It’s a no reserve auction. In Washington state.

Thanks again!

😂

Holy cow! Thanks for such a thorough reply. I owe you a beer or two. This is all great information.
Seems like it would be a good fit for me…at a different price.

Seems like we are looking for a similar vehicle and all across the country as well. There is a white (my preferred color) 2005 LJ that just popped up in Facebook today. It’s exactly what I am looking for but terrified to bid without a thorough inspection. It’s a no reserve auction. In Washington state.

Thanks again!
That jeep has 58k of rough miles. 🤩. Price should be closer to 17k

I am new here. I am looking at this 99 Sahara for sale. It has the 4L 6 cylinder engine with a manual transmission. It has a metal cloak lift (3.5” I think) with 33” tires. Here are some pics the owner sent of the frame and lift parts. The frame appears to be in good shape with some surface rust only. What do y’all think?

He is asking $15k. It has 94,808 miles. The body and interior are in really good shape. It comes with a hard top, soft top, and trail doors. Is this a fair price.

Thanks for any feedback.

IMG_7354.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

IMG_7352.jpeg

IMG_7350.jpeg

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7356.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

IMG_7358.jpeg

IMG_7359.jpeg

IMG_7360.jpeg

IMG_7361.jpeg

IMG_7362.jpeg

IMG_7363.jpeg

I am new here. I am looking at this 99 Sahara for sale. It has the 4L 6 cylinder engine with a manual transmission. It has a metal cloak lift (3.5” I think) with 33” tires. Here are some pics the owner sent of the frame and lift parts. The frame appears to be in good shape with some surface rust only. What do y’all think?

He is asking $15k. It has 94,808 miles. The body and interior are in really good shape. It comes with a hard top, soft top, and trail doors. Is this a fair price.

Thanks for any feedback.

View attachment 431098

View attachment 431099

View attachment 431100

View attachment 431101

View attachment 431102

View attachment 431103

View attachment 431104

View attachment 431105

View attachment 431106

View attachment 431107

View attachment 431108

View attachment 431109

View attachment 431110

Whatever the outside of the frame looks like, you can be certain the inside of the frame is at least 3X worse. For 15k I wouldn't buy it without taking an endoscope to the inside of the frame (this is something we commonly recommend when purchasing a used TJ), and I do mean that quite seriously.

The rust on the outside isn't terrible, but it really makes me want to see inside that frame just to be sure you're making a good purchase.

Thanks for any feedback.

View attachment 431098

View attachment 431099

View attachment 431100

View attachment 431101

View attachment 431102

View attachment 431103

View attachment 431104

View attachment 431105

View attachment 431106

View attachment 431107

View attachment 431108