STICKY What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

One more thing. If the front DS is not installed, check to make sure the front and rear ring and pinion ratios match, i.e. 4.10 fronts and 4.11 rear etc. This is not as common an issue as others you might encounter, however, we are talking about what issues to look for as to not get ripped off here.

The kid I bought my TJ from last week was waiting for the shop to reopen to get his U-joint replaced and to put the DS back in. Do I need to worry about this if the same DS is going back in?

Im just having a hard time clarifying what is acceptable rust. I live in NJ, and every single car, Jeep or not, has begun to rust once it hits around 12+ years. Just based on this image, is this "acceptable"? (Obviously needs more inspection)

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 8.59.22 PM.png

Im just having a hard time clarifying what is acceptable rust. I live in NJ, and every single car, Jeep or not, has begun to rust once it hits around 12+ years. Just based on this image, is this "acceptable"? (Obviously needs more inspection)

View attachment 159977

Nope, that looks really bad from what I can see. I'd stay far away from that thing.

thanks mate! then I haven't seen a single used acceptable car in the NJ / PA / DE area yet!!! Looks like I'm going to have to save up and just upgrade to low mileage JK or JL with perfect frame that I can epoxy over.

Last post, haha sorry. this is an '06 in NJ, one of the road salt capitals. After reading this post, I've grown very concerned with rust altogether. This is literally the best /least rust I've seen within the 80 miles radius under $10,000 (TJ model).... so if you are against this one (as I suspect you will be!!), I will likely sell my primary car, and upgrading to a jeep 2-5 years old and worshipping the living heck out of frame. This is a stock stock 2006 unlimited for 9K (122K miles) listed @ 9k.

Thanks for the help I love how receptive everyone is.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 12.55.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 12.55.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 12.55.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 12.55.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 12.56.05 PM.png

Last post, haha sorry. this is an '06 in NJ, one of the road salt capitals. After reading this post, I've grown very concerned with rust altogether. This is literally the best /least rust I've seen within the 80 miles radius under $10,000 (TJ model).... so if you are against this one (as I suspect you will be!!), I will likely sell my primary car, and upgrading to a jeep 2-5 years old and worshipping the living heck out of frame. This is a stock stock 2006 unlimited for 9K (122K miles) listed @ 9k.

View attachment 160455

View attachment 160456

View attachment 160457

View attachment 160458

View attachment 160459

I don’t like the type of rust I see. Have you taken an endoscope to the inside of the frame?

Why not buy a TJ from down south where they are completely rust free and less than 10k?

So I'm in the market and have been doing a LOT of research including spending hours and hours lurking here. I love this forum. Thank you to all who have provided your invaluable feedback and advice.

I've come across a '06 with 99K miles. It's spent most of it's time in the deep south and the last 6 years (and approx 50% of it's miles) in VA.

Unfortunately it's 3 hours away from me so I'm solely relying on this guys pics. I can't just roll up the road and check it out. This frame looks great....but I think it may look a little too great.

What do you guys think?

Engine bay 1.jpg

Engine bay 2.jpg

Frame 1.jpg

Frame 2.jpg

Frame 3.jpg

Frame 4.jpg

Frame 5.jpg

Reactions: TJ2 and Alex01
So I'm in the market and have been doing a LOT of research including spending hours and hours lurking here. I love this forum. Thank you to all who have provided your invaluable feedback and advice.

I've come across a '06 with 99K miles. It's spent most of it's time in the deep south and the last 6 years (and approx 50% of it's miles) in VA.

Unfortunately it's 3 hours away from me so I'm solely relying on this guys pics. I can't just roll up the road and check it out. This frame looks great....but I think it may look a little too great.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 160874

View attachment 160875

View attachment 160876

View attachment 160877

View attachment 160878

View attachment 160879

View attachment 160880
The frame looks like it was recently painted but it doesn't appear to be hiding anything.

Reactions: taylormade73
I concur, @Alex01. Thank you very much.

You have any concerns about the bubbling around the small holes (toward the left) in pic 3 or the bottom of the body panel in pic 5???

Doesn't look bad but it is painted. I'd stick my finger in the frame and feel for any flaking before buying. Was it originally orange? The grill supports aren't blue but look more like they were painted orange than the other way around...

Do you know the vin?

View attachment 160455

View attachment 160456

View attachment 160457

View attachment 160458

View attachment 160459
Doesn't look too hateful. The inside of frame is most important. It should feel smooth and not bumpy. Like Chris said though, you really need to inspect inside with a camera.

Hi all,

Newbie here looking for opinion! I learned ALOT from this post and I don't think this rust is worth it. Thoughts? Testing my knowledge at the very least.

Also, how do we feel about a rebuilt title? Seller explained it was due to a theft, not an accident.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ctd/d/temple-hills-2005-jeep-wrangler-lj-58k/7132866559.html
If you plan to sell it one day I'd stay away from a rebuilt title. If you do decide to go with one with a rebuilt title make sure to 1. call your insurance to see if they will cover it, 2. Have a shop look over the rig to see if it was repaired correctly.

At that price though it would be a hard pass from me.

Surface rust that could be wire wheeled and painted is no big deal. When all the bolts are seized and the metal is rotting it's going to be a costly project.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Are you exclusively looking for an auto LJ?

If you plan to sell it one day I'd stay away from a rebuilt title. If you do decide to go with one with a rebuilt title make sure to 1. call your insurance to see if they will cover it, 2. Have a shop look over the rig to see if it was repaired correctly.

Surface rust that could be wire wheeled and painted is no big deal. When all the bolts are seized and the metal is rotting it's going to be a costly project.

X2 to this. With a rebuilt title, it's not worth anywhere near what they are asking just based on resale value alone.

Reactions: Bill M.

Wow you guys really are quick to respond! What a great welcome. I'm 1/1 on my personal opinion from what I learned in this thread lol so thank you to all posters above and your advice.

My ultimate goal has been set on an LJ. This all stemmed from not wanting to pay more to install a roof rack on my sedan than I did for my kayak that I need to transport. Multiple week rabbit hole working from home in front of a computer all day and now a TJ/LJ is all I can think about lol.

I am starting to realize my expectations are a bit high and I am not sure what I want to spend, so I am open to any TJ if it is a good deal for me. Ultimately I want something that I know I can resell a few years down the line for a good return if I don't originally get an LJ and find one or if I simply want something new to look at or upgrade to.

Is there a number that makes it worth pulling the trigger on? I am looking for something as stock as possible.

6k. A rebuilt title essentially halves the value. If you ever go to sell that, you won’t get anywhere close to 12k, only a desperate fool would pay that.

Reactions: Bill M. and Alex01