What size is the nut for the door hinges?

TJintheTJ

How many beers will this mod take?
Supporting Member
I feel like an idiot since I don't know this answer, but here goes...

What size is the nut for the door hinges? I tried to take the doors off earlier and I couldn't find the right size. It seems like it's between a 13mm and a 14mm (iirc which wrenches I used). One was a bit big, the other too small.

I fell like such a n00b.

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
I use a 13mm box end wrench, but I use the open end of the wrench.
It's a good idea to wrap the end of the wrench with a cloth to prevent the wrench from gouging into the paint.
A gouge can still happen using the cloth so go slow and easy. :)

ohiopatriot

TJ Enthusiast
These socket inserts work good when your worried about paint or chrome damage.

0_15355974752377792994382783273440.jpg

https://store.snapon.com/Non-marRin...-10-mm-Non-Marring-Socket-Insert-P754072.aspx

Reactions: JMT

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I feel like an idiot since I don't know this answer, but here goes...

What size is the nut for the door hinges? I tried to take the doors off earlier and I couldn't find the right size. It seems like it's between a 13mm and a 14mm (iirc which wrenches I used). One was a bit big, the other too small.

I fell like such a n00b.
13mm, but if that’s not working due to the paint, wrap some masking tape around it a couple of times and use a 14mm. That will protect the beautiful paint on it. Then put them in a safe place and don’t use them again until you sell the Jeep

toximus

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
My suggestion is to tap the socket onto the nut, remove the door, replace the liner with a delrin insert, cut off the threads on the door pin, put door back together without the nut.

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
I picked up a set of these from Summit, they make taking off and installing the hinge nuts much easier. They install with a hex key, which I keep in the Tuffy under seat drawer:
img_1149-jpg.jpg

img_1150-jpg.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ and lowranger

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
I've seen those listed as a theft deterant as well.
That's pretty much the reason I got them. I didn't want to have someone easily walk off with my half doors. Not to say they are burglar-proof (is anything?), but somewhat harder to remove than a standard nut. These were for the half doors I got and painted, but lo and behold, those are already long gone...I decided to keep the stainless door hinge nuts regardless...

Jondeibel

I like 'em, too. They look fine with the silver TJ, not really sure what they would look like on a dark color, though. The biggest draw was not having to worry about scraping off the paint when removing/installing them.
Hey buddy, I cannot find these on Summit. Are you still happy with them and any suggestion on the part number or how I can find?

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
Hey buddy, I cannot find these on Summit. Are you still happy with them and any suggestion on the part number or how I can find?
I don't have the TJ anymore, but I was completely satisfied with those door nuts. Here's where I got them:

1603224232135.png

Jondeibel

I don't have the TJ anymore, but I was completely satisfied with those door nuts. Here's where I got them:

View attachment 197430
Not sure. Standard threads on original full size door