What size is the nut for the door hinges?

TJintheTJ

How many beers will this mod take?
Supporting Member
I feel like an idiot since I don't know this answer, but here goes...

What size is the nut for the door hinges? I tried to take the doors off earlier and I couldn't find the right size. It seems like it's between a 13mm and a 14mm (iirc which wrenches I used). One was a bit big, the other too small.

I fell like such a n00b.

I use a 13mm box end wrench, but I use the open end of the wrench.
It's a good idea to wrap the end of the wrench with a cloth to prevent the wrench from gouging into the paint.
A gouge can still happen using the cloth so go slow and easy. :)

These socket inserts work good when your worried about paint or chrome damage.

0_15355974752377792994382783273440.jpg

https://store.snapon.com/Non-marRin...-10-mm-Non-Marring-Socket-Insert-P754072.aspx

Reactions: JMT

What size is the nut for the door hinges? I tried to take the doors off earlier and I couldn't find the right size. It seems like it's between a 13mm and a 14mm (iirc which wrenches I used). One was a bit big, the other too small.

I fell like such a n00b.
13mm, but if that’s not working due to the paint, wrap some masking tape around it a couple of times and use a 14mm. That will protect the beautiful paint on it. Then put them in a safe place and don’t use them again until you sell the Jeep

My suggestion is to tap the socket onto the nut, remove the door, replace the liner with a delrin insert, cut off the threads on the door pin, put door back together without the nut.

I picked up a set of these from Summit, they make taking off and installing the hinge nuts much easier. They install with a hex key, which I keep in the Tuffy under seat drawer:
img_1149-jpg.jpg

img_1150-jpg.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ and lowranger
I've seen those listed as a theft deterant as well.
That's pretty much the reason I got them. I didn't want to have someone easily walk off with my half doors. Not to say they are burglar-proof (is anything?), but somewhat harder to remove than a standard nut. These were for the half doors I got and painted, but lo and behold, those are already long gone...I decided to keep the stainless door hinge nuts regardless...

I like 'em, too. They look fine with the silver TJ, not really sure what they would look like on a dark color, though. The biggest draw was not having to worry about scraping off the paint when removing/installing them.
Hey buddy, I cannot find these on Summit. Are you still happy with them and any suggestion on the part number or how I can find?

I fell like such a n00b.

I know this is an old thread, but I just got my TJ the other day, so maybe someone else will need this answer.
The proper size wrench is SAE 1/2 inch.

A magnetic business card is great to slap on the body too- prevents errantly scratching the paint-

I know this is an old thread, but I just got my TJ the other day, so maybe someone else will need this answer.

Interesting...that's even smaller than 13mm which the OP said was too small.

I'm pretty sure the thread pitch is an M6, also, which usually implies a metric wrench size.

That being said, I haven't tried to put a wrench on mine yet because I just painted them and the doors are still going on and off while I get things sorted out.

13mm is what mine are. socket is rather tight due to paint on nut.