What size tires will fit a stock Wrangler TJ?

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
This thread is to serve as the be-all end-all answer to questions such as "What is the largest size tire I can fit on my stock Wrangler TJ?".

The answer is simple: You can put a 31x10.50 - 15 tire on your stock Wrangler TJ with stock wheels. It may rub a little at full lock which is easily corrected with a couple of washers on the steering stops. A 31" tire will still perform just fine off road and won't encounter any major issues with rubbing under full tuck.

If all you're after is looks and not functionality, you can often times fit a 32" or 33" tire on your stock TJ, but at that size you will more than likely do some serious damage if you take it off road. Anything larger than a 31" tire needs a lift (among other things) if you want to have a proper, functional setup.

NOTE: Depending on your engine, transmission and gear ratios you may suffer disappointment in your performance after installation of larger tires.

I ran 33x9.50x15s BFG KOs on stock 5 spoke steel rim, 15x7, on my '87 YJ. And I had 255/80x17s on my TJR with the stock Moabs. Not every 33x10.50x15 is 33x10.50x15. Therefore lots options. Sometimes you might need to limit steering stops. The only guarantee is the factory size will fit.

DSC_0015.jpg

Reactions: 97BLKTJ and Chris
I have seen people go up to 33x12.50R15 on Factory suspension without rubbing, just extend the steering stops. These people were also not wheeling it so rubbing while flexing was not a worry. I ran 31's on my Factory no issue, but I just installed a 4" lift.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I have seen people go up to 33x12.50R15 on Factory suspension without rubbing, just extend the steering stops. These people were also not wheeling it so rubbing while flexing was not a worry. I ran 31's on my Factory no issue, but I just installed a 4" lift.

Yeah, I was going to chime in and mention that you probably could fit 33" tires if you wanted. However, if you even started to flex remotely you'd have some serious, serious issues.

So maybe this thread title is a bit deceiving. When I say you can fit 31" tires stock, I mean you can fit them typically without any steering issues or rubbing while flexing. Anything bigger than that on the stock suspension and you're likely going to run into issues if you plan on going off-road.

True that. I made certain unspecified assumptions with the thread title. My bad. I keep forgetting that not everyone does a Jeep for going off road. ...and then there is off road, OFF ROAD and What Road!? lol

Reactions: Chris
Haha! Yep, if you have the mall crawler you can put 33" tires on stock ride height.

However, it will look stupid. I mean even my 31" tires on the stock ride height looked kind of stupid because there wasn't much wheel gap.

AEV Flares... which are no longer in production since AEV does not believe in after sales support... were 6" flares. Nicest thing about the AEV HighLine was reusing all the stock TJ parts. Lights, signals.... and the inner fenders were just modified stock units so all the underhood accessories fit perfect. No need to drill anything... But AEV has quit supporting the TJ.

Can't wait for the new JKU to come out. All those guys with $90K Brute Double Cabs will be pissed when they can no longer buy parts.

Heres my repair after cracking a flare on the trail... bit of 2part marine epoxy and a piece of plastic bedliner.

DSC_0017.jpg

Last edited:
Where is that? Looks nice!

That picture was taken in the Siuslaw National Forest east of Hebo Mt. and on an old skid road running south of the 1400 mainline. Oldest daughter and I were scouting for Elk, and hoping to catch up with a couple of bucks. If you look closely you can see that the small tires and high ground loading have disturbed the moss and grass on the trail. Up there, luckily, any slight damage will have corrected itself shortly after the next rain. We had driven over that trail twice (down and back) when the picture was taken.

That picture was taken in the Siuslaw National Forest east of Hebo Mt. and on an old skid road running south of the 1400 mainline. Oldest daughter and I were scouting for Elk, and hoping to catch up with a couple of bucks. If you look closely you can see that the small tires and high ground loading have disturbed the moss and grass on the trail. Up there, luckily, any slight damage will have corrected itself shortly after the next rain. We had driven over that trail twice (down and back) when the picture was taken.

Very nice! I've never actually been hunting but it sounds fun. I love elk and all those other types of meat!

'05 TJR, stock suspension
AEV HighLine with 33s

View attachment 244

Rookie question I know but what is the width of those tires? I have a stock 04 TJ and am looking to add something a little more aggresive on mine. I have 30x9.50r15lt on there now. What would you recommend? I don't have resources for a lift right yet but plan to in the next year. I want a more aggressive tire without rubbing and no I don't go off road in this alot. If I do it literally is on a dirt path not alot of flexing involved. Thanks!

Rookie question I know but what is the width of those tires? I have a stock 04 TJ and am looking to add something a little more aggresive on mine. I have 30x9.50r15lt on there now. What would you recommend? I don't have resources for a lift right yet but plan to in the next year. I want a more aggressive tire without rubbing and no I don't go off road in this alot. If I do it literally is on a dirt path not alot of flexing involved. Thanks!
You can fit 31x10.50-15 with little to no rubbing on a stock TJ