What size tires will fit a stock Wrangler TJ?

Appreciate it!!! Any certain tire ya'll recommend?
The preferences are all over the map. A lot of TJ owners like the Goodyear Duratracs, and also the BF Goodrich KO2 all terrain. They are both great tires, and more aggressive than what generally come stock on a Wrangler. Just be sure whatever you get, it is a load range C. You'll hear from some TJ owners that they run load range E tires, and they are 'great', but the vast majority of owners feel the load range E tires are too stiff for a light TJ, and are more suited to be a heavier pickup truck tire.

You can fit 31x10.50-15 with little to no rubbing on a stock TJ

X2 to this. Anything larger than that and you're going to need a lift if you plan on doing any sort of off-roading or flexing.

I just did the bump stop check with my Falken Wildpeak A/T 31x10.5R15LT tires and found that the front tires contact the fender at full lock with a 1" gap between axle pad and bump stop cup.
IMAG0743.jpg
There's a little more space with the wheels straight ahead, but not enough to keep the wheels from hitting the fenders.

So, if you're going for full flex with 31s, you MAY have clearance issues and it might be a good idea to check before you push things too hard.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
The answer is simple: You can put a 31x10.50 - 15 tire on your stock Wrangler TJ with stock wheels. It may rub a little at full lock which is easily corrected with a couple of washers on the steering stops. A 31" tire will still perform just fine off road and won't encounter any major issues with rubbing under full tuck.

NOTE: Depending on your engine, transmission and gear ratios you may suffer disappointment in your performance after installation of larger tires.[/QUOTE]

I have the 4.0L I6 automatic. Not sure about the gear ratio. Came with 30x9.5R15s. Would you expect that I'd lose performance going to 31x10.50R15s? expect to do very little/light off-roading.

Would you expect that I'd lose performance going to 31x10.50R15s? expect to do very little/light off-roading.
I have 31x10.50R15s with the 4.0L, auto, 3.73 axle ratio. Performance is reasonably good. Jeep drives well on the highway, and even keeps pace driving up to the mountains if I push the right pedal a little harder.

I ran 33x9.50x15s BFG KOs on stock 5 spoke steel rim, 15x7, on my '87 YJ. And I had 255/80x17s on my TJR with the stock Moabs. Not every 33x10.50x15 is 33x10.50x15. Therefore lots options. Sometimes you might need to limit steering stops. The only guarantee is the factory size will fit.

Hi, I really like the look of your Jeep. If you don’t mind, what year, model, lift and and tire size do you have.

Hi All, new here and been reading the forum info and its great info. Thanks everyone. Sorry for repeat question sorta but I just want to be sure about tire replacements I want to make on my 2006 Rubicon. It is pure stock right now, no lift kit and with small stock 245/75/R16 tires. I'd like to switch to 265/75/R16 From the info in the forums I think this will be ok but the metric conversion is a bit confusing. I think the "stock" tires I have now are basically 30.5/9.5/16 and I want to replace with 31.5/10.5/16 ... Does anyone see a problem with this on my stock 2006 Rubicon?

Hi All, new here and been reading the forum info and its great info. Thanks everyone. Sorry for repeat question sorta but I just want to be sure about tire replacements I want to make on my 2006 Rubicon. It is pure stock right now, no lift kit and with small stock 245/75/R16 tires. I'd like to switch to 265/75/R16 From the info in the forums I think this will be ok but the metric conversion is a bit confusing. I think the "stock" tires I have now are basically 30.5/9.5/16 and I want to replace with 31.5/10.5/16 ... Does anyone see a problem with this on my stock 2006 Rubicon?

My experience with 31x10.5R15 tires on a totally stock Jeep is that the front tires hit the fenders about 1/2" before full flex/compression. They also hit the spring perch at anything close to full steering lock and full flex/compression.

You can compensate for this by adding just a little bit to the bump stops and adjusting the steering stops (or avoiding full lock while you're flexed out). Your tires might be a little bit bigger, so you might need a little more adjustment.

Reactions: jjvw
Having 31 on now , only issue is rubbing when steering too far, figured I can take care of that by going with new rims.
Most areas I go off road is in the Everglades for fishing and Ocala for hunting. If it effects how it drives, may reconsider the lift option.

Im not sure what lift kit or suspension is on my TJ X. It actually does not say anything and I don't see shocks just from looking under. Should this be exchanged? Im also interested in 33s, so not sure how to go about this. Looking for 33s, 3" total lift with Dana 30/35. Issues?

I think you have the basics correct for 33s. Depending on your end use, you should have no issues as a DD, part time off roader not doing anything extreme.

Pretty sure you must have shocks. It'll be undriveable without them.

I think you have the basics correct for 33s. Depending on your end use, you should have no issues as a DD, part time off roader not doing anything extreme.
Ok. Any recommendations for swapping out whatever lift is on the jeep already? Exchange for what kind of lift?

Yeah, I was going to chime in and mention that you probably could fit 33" tires if you wanted. However, if you even started to flex remotely you'd have some serious, serious issues.

So maybe this thread title is a bit deceiving. When I say you can fit 31" tires stock, I mean you can fit them typically without any steering issues or rubbing while flexing. Anything bigger than that on the stock suspension and you're likely going to run into issues if you plan on going off-road.

Along those lines, to fit 33, 11 on a 2000 wrangler, will a 2.5 inch lift be fine? Or is there more that I would need to do? Sorry if this is dumb question, Im new to this and jeep stuff..thanks.

Along those lines, to fit 33, 11 on a 2000 wrangler, will a 2.5 inch lift be fine? Or is there more that I would need to do? Sorry if this is dumb question, Im new to this and jeep stuff..thanks.

This is my old 2005 Rubicon with 33s (285/75R16) and a 2.5" lift:

IMG_4632.JPG

So will they fit? Yes, they will. However, 2.5" of lift isn't enough for 33" tires if you plan on doing any sort of serious off-roading. The amount of up-travel is severely reduced, which will affect both on-road and off-road ride quality, as well as articulation.

4" is really the minimum amount of lift you need for 33" tires. If you want to run a 2.5" lift, run 31s or 32s at most. @psrivats took a photo of his the other day with a 2.5" lift and 31.5" tires, and it looks perfect IMHO.

Maybe he'll chime in here.

I have beautiful ko2 15x10.5x33 on my 2.5 ome+1.25 bl. My long term plan is 31s and loose the bl. The clearance on my rubicon is great, but the 4.10 gearing suffers. It is just ok if you cut out the od. The gearing would be worse with 3.73. I know I can do Colorado jeep trails well on 31s. I have done imogene pass and black bear road on p225x15s. The 31s will also perform better and the jeep will be a bunch easier to get in to and out of. I believe they are your best choice.
B6DE3FC0-AC8F-4703-8A64-B66A6FC26461.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my old 2005 Rubicon with 33s (285/75R16) and a 2.5" lift:

View attachment 102620

So will they fit? Yes, they will. However, 2.5" of lift isn't enough for 33" tires if you plan on doing any sort of serious off-roading. The amount of up-travel is severely reduced, which will affect both on-road and off-road ride quality, as well as articulation.

4" is really the minimum amount of lift you need for 33" tires. If you want to run a 2.5" lift, run 31s or 32s at most. @psrivats took a photo of his the other day with a 2.5" lift and 31.5" tires, and it looks perfect IMHO.

Maybe he'll chime in here.

This is my TJR on 31.5s (265/75R16s) with a 2.5" lift. Technically closer to being a 31 honestly.

IMG_20190703_173622.jpg