What size tires will fit a stock Wrangler TJ?

Here are 245/75R17 on what I believe to be 2017 or 2018 17” rims.

I do have the 1.25” adapters on to get the right wheel pattern.

This was on stock 1999 TJ before I added a 1” BL.

I got lucky on the wheels and tires as well. Got the wheels a little over a year ago from a dealership that was cleaning out storage and about to throw them away. Cost - $0. Got the tires from a dealership that took them off a stock Gladiator with less than 4K miles to put on bigger ones and were going to send them to the recycler. Cost - $0 (+ $80 to mount and balance.) I bought a matching used tire for about $35 for the spare and got the matching spare wheel from LKQ for $35 as well. So I guess I have about $150 in my set.

View attachment 197666
Question, would you think, without the 1" BL, the tires will rub?

I'm reading a lot of posts confirming that a 31" tire on stock wheels on a stock TJ will work with minor rubbing at full lock (fixable with washers). However, all the pictures have the aluminum 15x8 wheels. Does the same apply when using the factory steel 15x7 wheels?

I'm reading a lot of posts confirming that a 31" tire on stock wheels on a stock TJ will work with minor rubbing at full lock (fixable with washers). However, all the pictures have the aluminum 15x8 wheels. Does the same apply when using the factory steel 15x7 wheels?

Yes, width is more important than height but 31s are an easy fit.

I fit BFGs old 33x9.50R15s on a stock Rubicon on the stock 15x7 rim.

Sorry it was a sort experiment with an old set of YJ tires, no pics. I wish they still made those tires.

DSC_0043.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
If i was to swap from the stock wheels on 225/75/R15 tyres, and added 265/75/R15 tyres. Does anyone know how much the tyres would stick out of the fender flares?

Here in Spain the tyres can't expand beyond the body, so i'm trying to work out which size flares i need to cover the tyres, but without going too wide and looking lost.

If i was to swap from the stock wheels on 225/75/R15 tyres, and added 265/75/R15 tyres. Does anyone know how much the tyres would stick out of the fender flares?

Here in Spain the tyres can't expand beyond the body, so i'm trying to work out which size flares i need to cover the tyres, but without going too wide and looking lost.

It will also depend on the backspacing and width of your wheels. So what stock wheels are you running?

They're these

Sorry, I misunderstood. You are keeping the wheels and just swapping the tires.

So your current tires are 8.86" (225mm) and the new ones will be 10.43" (265mm). So 10.43" – 8.86" = 1.57", and 1.57 / 2 = 0.785. So take your current setup and imagine the tires sticking out 0.785" inches further.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, that works great. Wasn't sure if there were any weird offsets etc to consider. The dream would be to get new wheels, but i'm thinking i can save some cash initially.

Would like slightly wider flares, but i believe the stock ones are 9cm, so maybe if i got the 12cm versions then it keeps the same balance, or see if i can find some Rubicon ones.