What springs for 4" lift on 5000 lb. LJ Rubicon?

RE 3.5" springs would get you very close seeing as they give about 5" of lift on a normal weight rig. Don't expect them to stay in the bucket if you outboard.

^^ This.

I know Rubicon Express is the brand everyone loves to hate, but RE springs on a relatively heavy LJR really are the ticket.

The published curb weight of a LJ Rubicon with factory hardtop is 4,012#. This LJR, as modified and with 35" tires, is 4,880# empty (2180/2700) and 5,340# fully loaded for a two-week trip as is shown here (2180/3360). Springs are Rubicon Express.

Jeep at PG&E Campground Butt Lake Reservoir.jpg

[Sadly, the PG&E campground where this photo was taken in August 2020 burned up in the Dixie Fire in August 2021.]

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: JMT and g.hayduke
So my Jeep is heavy, about 5,000 lbs with 2 people, hard top, back seat, tools, recovery gear, and a full tank of gas.

My current 2" OME lift is only giving me an actual inch or so. I want/need 4" of suspension lift for 35" tires. I already have 1.25" BL.

So does anyone have a good spring/shock combo that provides about 4" of lift and good performance on a heavy Jeep?

Thanks in advance
If you know which OME springs you have installed you should be able to calculate the sprung weight per corner as there are published free lengths and spring rates for OME springs. For other springs that give that information you should be able to calculate what lift ypu will get. Single source of useful info here...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tj-shock-spring-specification-resource-thread.47846/post-823645

^^ This.

I know Rubicon Express is the brand everyone loves to hate, but RE springs on a relatively heavy LJR really are the ticket.

The published curb weight of a LJ Rubicon with factory hardtop is 4,012#. This LJR, as modified and with 35" tires, is 4,880# empty (2180/2700) and 5,340# fully loaded for a two-week trip as is shown here (2180/3360). Springs are Rubicon Express.

View attachment 273451

[Sadly, the PG&E campground where this photo was taken in August 2020 burned up in the Dixie Fire in August 2021.]
Do you know which specific springs you are running and how much lift you are actually getting?

What shocks are you running. Happy with the ride?

The suspension was installed by the original owner of my LJR circa 2008.

It has been awhile since I looked at the part numbers, but I think they are RE1353 front (205#/inch) and RE1360 rear (225#/inch), although there are some handwritten notes on the install instructions that came in a box of documents with my jeep that suggest that they may actually be 4.5" lift springs in front (RE1353) coupled with ACOS adjustable spacers with 5.5" lift springs in the rear RE1353 (235#/inch). Net lift is 4.75" all around, no body lift.

Shocks are probably the RE shocks manufactured by Edelbrock (prior to when RE started sourcing many of its shocks from Bilstein). No issues with the ride. When these shocks wear out the replacement will likely be Skyjacker Black Max if they have fronts long enough.

The suspension was installed by the original owner of my LJR circa 2008.

It has been awhile since I looked at the part numbers, but I think they are RE1353 front (205#/inch) and RE1360 rear (225#/inch), although there are some handwritten notes on the install instructions that came in a box of documents with my jeep that suggest that they may actually be 4.5" lift springs in front (RE1353) coupled with ACOS adjustable spacers with 5.5" lift springs in the rear RE1353 (235#/inch). Net lift is 4.75" all around, no body lift.

Shocks are probably the RE shocks manufactured by Edelbrock (prior to when RE started sourcing many of its shocks from Bilstein). No issues with the ride. When these shocks wear out the replacement will likely be Skyjacker Black Max if they have fronts long enough.
Incredibly close to the suspension under my LJR as purchased. Installed 2016.
4.5" RE Front RM6008-52936 Rear RM60110-52936
ACOS adj. 3/4" up: net 19" (7" lift) Rear Bolt on relo brackets 15" (7" lift).
These measurements are with hardtop, no backseat, no cargo, no passengers.
I'll get around to weighing this when it's back on the road.

Bilstein 5100 F 24/14 R 25/16 so 10" shocks
1.25" Body lift, MML. Nth Degree TT.
35 x 12.5 x 16 (New 15s going on soon)
Currie front bumper
Warn PowerPlant winch.
Rear Currie tire carrier

Just finished removing the ACOS and the rear relo. Front is at 5" lift now and rear has not been measured yet but I expect close to the same 2" lowering.
So the 4.5" RE springs up front net 5" at ride height. I had initially thought I'd get rid of "the brand everyone loves to hate" Rubicon Express and go Currie springs, but then reconsidered how I pack my rig, which is much the same as the LJR in the photo. I like that the heavy springs (200# +) will maintain ride height with the load. Currie springs are 75# ish.

Shock travel magically moved from 80/20-ish to very near 50/50 after removing the added spring height.
But since the front Bilsteins are shot I'll be replacing all 4.

So, of course the dilemma of choosing shock brand. It will not be Bilsteins since what little I've driven the LJ on road I didn't like the feel. Toggling between the usual Rancho 5000x, BlackMax, and looking at KYB but not finding exactly the specs I think I need. On the other hand I don't KNOW what I need. If I have to move away from the exact parameters of the current shocks should I go a bit longer travel, longer extended, longer compressed, etc. Shockwarehouse says go shorter compressed, longer extended which doesn't seem to be a common offering.

Good news is, I'm confident I have the bumps dialed in.
Better news is, my ramble is over.
I intended to give real data to the OP @g.hayduke on how my RE 4.5" springs are on my rig for his reference.

Reactions: g.hayduke