What the 4.0 could have been

Yeah - don't tell Zorba, but due to the 2018 backup camera law, he'll be stuck with a screen in his next NEW vehicle, should he buy one!

And that is PRECISELY the reason I'm not planning on buying anything newer than 2017. If I'm lucky, maybe I won't have to buy another vehicle ever. I figure I have about 23 more years on this rock this time around, I'll hopefully be driving that old MBZ the entire time.

• USA Proud
Reactions: sab and BlueC
That's a curious domino effect from crash safety requirements leading to modern vehicles becoming increasingly thicc and blobby while reducing driver visibility out the windows and mirrors.
Yep - these high beltlines are FUGLY, you can't see out of the things, so now we're stuck with mandated technology to make up for the lack. Damn the cost!

She ain’t even got on a panty.

I bet those boys got a stern talking to before that started.

I’m gonna make another one of my random comments- It is one thing to be successful enough to become a celebrity- But for someone to have the longevity she’s had and make it in television and music and movies... That’s pretty remarkable.

My hat is off to her ....and I’d probably tell her to cover something up with it.

There was QUITE the stink at the Navy over that video, look it up.

Reactions: AndyG
Curious as well on what happens moving the compression ratio up- no other changes

The general consensus is you will gain a few %, like 2-3%, in power output per point of compression ratio gained. So a 200 hp engine moving from 8.5 to 9.5 might gain 5hp, nothing significant. You would never notice that. On a 500hp engine, that % change would become more noticeable.

An engine is a system, so if you were to bump the compression and increase the VE, then you start making noticeable power changes.

She ain’t even got on a panty.

I bet those boys got a stern talking to before that started.

I’m gonna make another one of my random comments- It is one thing to be successful enough to become a celebrity- But for someone to have the longevity she’s had and make it in television and music and movies... That’s pretty remarkable.

My hat is off to her ....and I’d probably tell her to cover something up with it.

I'm probably not in a large group on this but I hope that "something" would be her face. Heck maybe I'd just pull that hat down over my eyes because when she's not bending or twisting she looks kinda like a middle school boy from the neck down.
cher.jpg

Coming out of dodge, fiat or whoever own jeep when the 4.0 was killed I dont believe it had anything to do with emissions. It was simply a way for a corporation to build fewer engine platforms and shove it into as many vehicles as possible to cut costs and increase profits. A mini van engine in a jeep? yeppers.

That's a curious domino effect from crash safety requirements leading to modern vehicles becoming increasingly thicc and blobby while reducing driver visibility out the windows and mirrors.

The move away from leaded gasoline is interesting because it was becoming very clear in the 1960s that there was a strong correlation between endemic lead pollution from engine exhaust and widespread neurological impairment. The switch to unleaded fuel corresponds to a dramatic decrease in neurological disorders and a reduction in crime. Basically we were poisoning ourselves with lead in conjunction with the proliferation of the automobile. And the automotive and oil industries of the time fought these EPA regulations.

This is interesting. I’m only 51, and I am what my wife would call a “leave us alone” citizen.

But, I grew up a wild person. I had my CJ5 with the V8 in the air over a dirt levy, on two wheels multiple times.

I was in the back of a truck thag flipped doing 65 mph in the middle of now where East Texas. God had a plan, otherwise I would have been dead by my own “Send It” crazy attitude growing up.

The Saftey items forced, are actually in whole pretty good. The amount of people that die in cars is staggering. Since I was slammed to the ground at 65mph and a truck flew over me, I have Never, not once that I can think of, ridden in a car without a seat belt. That hurt, a lot, then inhad to run to a farm house to call help, ha.

still not been in an accident while I was driving at 51, but the Saftey stuff (even from a Gov that can be annoying) is still good.

I’m not sure having a TJ with a V8 with huge HP, would be a good thing running around the streets. And for all the tough stories, most Jeeps spend most of their miles on pavement.

Reactions: Dr. Internet
Coming out of dodge, fiat or whoever own jeep when the 4.0 was killed I dont believe it had anything to do with emissions. It was simply a way for a corporation to build fewer engine platforms and shove it into as many vehicles as possible to cut costs and increase profits. A mini van engine in a jeep? yeppers.

I have one, they are not great. 3.8 leaks and burns more oil, from more locations, than any vehicle I’ve ever owned.

I think it's fairly obvious the 4.0 was replaced for emission and CAFE reasons. The 3.8 was probably just the simplest, most cost-effective replacement.

1684246389211.png

Reactions: lBasket and JMT
I'm probably not in a large group on this but I hope that "something" would be her face. Heck maybe I'd just pull that hat down over my eyes because when she's not bending or twisting she looks kinda like a middle school boy from the neck down.
View attachment 425284
^^^THIS^^^
I've never thought her hatchet face was particularly attractive. Her body OTOH, looked fantastic in that video - and she knows how to display it! So gimme a paper grocery bag...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JEEPCJTJ and BlueC
The Safety items forced, are actually in whole pretty good. The amount of people that die in cars is staggering. Since I was slammed to the ground at 65mph and a truck flew over me, I have Never, not once that I can think of, ridden in a car without a seat belt. That hurt, a lot, then I had to run to a farm house to call help, ha.
Some are, some are just stupid. Collapsible steering columns, re-enforced door panels, high back seats, 3 point seat belts, and maybe even ABS I can get behind. The stupid "safety technology" which is nothing more than an expensive add-on to replace driving skills - not so much. Our Benevolent OverLords apparently think we can't even back up safely, so mandate fucking screens for the backup cameras they insist we have. My neck and mirrors work just fine! They can keep the various "driver assist" nonsense.

To me, safety is a choice, and should always be. After all, no one is going to consider my safety more so than I do. That said, when you actually put a price on it, where people make their own choices, they don't choose all the safety items that the government mandates. What does that say?

Reactions: P man and Zorba
To me, safety is a choice, and should always be. After all, no one is going to consider my safety more so than I do. That said, when you actually put a price on it, where people make their own choices, they don't choose all the safety items that the government mandates. What does that say?

It says we're tired of the Nanny State.

• USA Proud
Reactions: BlueC

Let the free market decide what is acceptably safe for us! 🤣

Reactions: Zorba and BlueC
Let the free market decide what is acceptably safe for us! 🤣

I agree. However, I suspect you're being sarcastic. The government deciding what's safe is worse than the free market. Political decisions are worse than board room decisions.

• USA Proud
Reactions: BlueC and Zorba
I agree. However, I suspect you're being sarcastic. The government deciding what's safe is worse than the free market. Political decisions are worse than board room decisions.

All I know is that it isn't an all or nothing answer. I suppose it's nice we can rest assured that when the alt-right racists are chugging milk to show their supremacy, they aren't drinking contaminated milk thanks to the FDA.

Reactions: Woodrow