What the 4.0 could have been

What a 4.0l should be? @Wildman approved!😎
images (1).jpeg

• Face Palm
Reactions: Wildman
I glued 4 more cyl onto my 2.5.... Made it a 5.2 to start with but then I added some Miricle Grow to it and it became a 6.7....

And it's still not a Lame Shit engine.

Every dodge and ford guy is a closet chevy lover.let your light shine bro😆

Every dodge and ford guy is a closet chevy lover.let your light shine bro😆

OK you keep right on thinking that...

I never said I dislike Chevy. Heck I've owned a few and even had a few Jeeps with SBC's in them. Just not a huge fan of all the LS swap crap. It's been shoved into everything from a pair of roller skates to a damn Mini.
Under the right circumstances I might even swap one into a TJ. But I still stand with the magnum being the better swap for 2001 & older TJ's if you're looking for a budget swap.

If your pocketbook runs deep & your money tree is in full bloom then have at it and swap in a LS.

OK you keep right on thinking that...

I never said I dislike Chevy. Heck I've owned a few and even had a few Jeeps with SBC's in them. Just not a huge fan of all the LS swap crap. It's been shoved into everything from a pair of roller skates to a damn Mini.
Under the right circumstances I might even swap one into a TJ. But I still stand with the magnum being the better swap for 2001 & older TJ's if you're looking for a budget swap.

If your pocketbook runs deep & your money tree is in full bloom then have at it and swap in a LS.

Just teasing you man 🇺🇲

Reactions: Wildman
Just teasing you man 🇺🇲

I know....

If I was starting over with a brand new build I'd be looking at either a Hemi or LS for the swap instead of the Magnum. But it would also depend on what my budget was.

Heck there are times I wish I still had my little 4 popper. But I do LOVE the sound of the V-8.

Since this is about what the 4.0 could have been which ties into what the Wrangler could have been. Ask @Paparock1 what a TJ is like to drive with a GC 5.9 in it.

Imagine if Jeep had offered the TJ in 1997-98 with the 5.2 or 5.9 V-8...
Or in 1999-2004 with the 4.7 V-8 that could be had in the GC.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
I get some crazy swap ideas every now and then...like how about the 4.0 V6 from the Tacoma/ 4runner? I've done zero research but I feel like odds are decent there's a bell housing to put it on my AX15. The one in my wife's DD has 193k miles, sounds like new doesn't burn a drop of oil, and propels a ~800lb heavier 5th gen T4R well fast enough. The torque peak is at 4400rpm which isn't as appetizing on paper but looking at the curve it's reasonably flat for what it is and still has more torque than the TJ at the TJs torque peak. Swapping the whole thing might be nice but I feel like the case is passenger drop.

It's in the 270s-280s for both hp and torque. DOHC though, so the width might be an issue. I mostly seem to see inline or OHV swaps.

Last edited: