What the eff

It almost looks like your tie rod end somehow got pushed into the mount. Did you hit anything or take it wheeling?

I know, right? And have a look at that last pic and the head of the ball joint on the drag link tie rod. Looks all scratched up like it's been rubbing against the mount.

It really does look like I hit something but dayum, I would have noticed it. I mean, there was that guy on a recumbent trike, but that wasn't really all that hard.

I have a theory. Maybe a weak one. When I adjusted the steering, it's possible I somehow turned that section of the bar down just enough for it to cause trouble.

I need to get a helper to take some video. I'd like to see what happens lock-to-lock.

Or maybe Billiebob is right and I should just take the damn thing back to stock. Or at least back to my 2 1/2" OME lift.

But it drives me craze because this setup is not extreme. There is definitely something amiss.

• Haha
Reactions: Sj's TJ
I know, right? And have a look at that last pic and the head of the ball joint on the drag link tie rod. Looks all scratched up like it's been rubbing against the mount.

It really does look like I hit something but dayum, I would have noticed it. I mean, there was that guy on a recumbent trike, but that wasn't really all that hard.

I have a theory. Maybe a weak one. When I adjusted the steering, it's possible I somehow turned that section of the bar down just enough for it to cause trouble.

I need to get a helper to take some video. I'd like to see what happens lock-to-lock.

Or maybe Billiebob is right and I should just take the damn thing back to stock. Or at least back to my 2 1/2" OME lift.

But it drives me craze because this setup is not extreme. There is definitely something amiss.
Yeah, do the lock to lock and see if it hits. But I can't imagine that even if it does hit, I wouldn't bend the mount. Very strange indeed. At least you can run the old stabilizer until you can get yours straightened out. The sway bar mount is a little close as well. If you do end up having to replace the bracket, you could go with something like this:

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-TJ-LJ-MJ-XJ-and-ZJ-Front-Axle-Coil-Spring-Brackets_p_710.html

Of course you would have to find someone to cut your old stuff off to weld in the new stuff.

Reactions: Queticon
That's a great find! I'd been looking for something like that to cover my worst case scenario.

Thanks

It is the tribal way with forums. I’ve seen worse. There’s a lot of useful knowledge here. I’m not necessarily the best at getting everything in my head typed into the box so others might feel they aren’t getting all the info. I’m ok being asked for clarification.

I can help others help me 😉

Yeah, I didn't get some of these comments either. You had an issue and were seeking answers on how your bracket got bent.

Sorry for the crappy pics, but since I have a Fox damper, I figured I take some for you.
IMG_20191212_193621.jpg
IMG_20191212_193731.jpg
IMG_20191212_193956.jpg

• Wow
Mine was on the Jeep when I bought it, but nothing has bent in the 4 years I've had it, so dunno what to tell ya, lol.

I think with the lift and the angle of the linkage the body of the shock may have been binding on the steering linkage.

But the more I think about this, the more I'm thinking something else must have happened. If that binding was really a problem, it would have shown up much sooner. I've been driving this setup for about a month. It really seems like something hit it but damn, that's a pretty specific place to hit!

The bent bracket is against all odds. For something to hammer it hard enough to bend it and miss everything else. Plus I would think a hit hard enough to bend it would be hard to forget.

Has it ever been towed or trailered?

Anything which bent that bracket could easily have bent something else.

The bent bracket is against all odds. For something to hammer it hard enough to bend it and miss everything else. Plus I would think a hit hard enough to bend it would be hard to forget.

Has it ever been towed or trailered?

not towed or trailered. If you have a look at the pic I just posted, the bracket is not bent and that photo is maybe a week old. And I'm with you on being doubtful of something hitting it.

Maybe a pothole? But same thing, I would have remembered a jarring enough to bend the bracket. Something caused enough leverage in the dampener to bend that. Maybe I did something stupid like leave a wrench or extension bar or something in just the right place. Wouldn't put it past me.

But jeeze, how would it have sheered the bolt off? I'm assuming it sheered. Maybe it just stripped the nut right off.

On my trackbar it has the retaining nut inside the bracket. Not a hole that goes all the way through to the back side and then an external nut. Is it possible that by running that bolt all the way through all 3 pieces of the bracket that the simple matter of tightening the bolt could be pulling the bracket backwards? That would be collapsing the bracket in order to tighten the nut. If you stick a finger inside that bracket can you feel 2 separate pockets? The rear pocket is where mine has the nut located to tighten the link down.

Holy crap...did I install the damn thing backwards????
(pay no attention to the swaybar link, I already took care of that ;))

I followed the instructions on the XT site. They installed the barrel end on the linkage.”

I’m pretty sure you installed it the way it was meant to be installed. it doesn’t really come with any instructions, but I installed it the other way and it was a lot of work to make it fit. I had to do some grinding on the top of the axle mount to clear the stabilizer body. That metal insert in the bushing didn’t fit right either (I can’t remember exactly why) but I ended up pressing it out and using the one from my old OME stabilizer.

FB3C3F2A-4EDA-4030-BBAB-F1C5362439BF.jpeg

Holy crap...did I install the damn thing backwards????
(pay no attention to the swaybar link, I already took care of that ;))

I followed the instructions on the XT site. They installed the barrel end on the linkage.”

I’m pretty sure you installed it the way it was meant to be installed. it doesn’t really come with any instructions, but I installed it the other way and it was a lot of work to make it fit. I had to do some grinding on the top of the axle mount to clear the stabilizer body. That metal insert in the bushing didn’t fit right either (I can’t remember exactly why) but I ended up pressing it out and using the one from my old OME stabilizer.

View attachment 129161

Yeah, I had to grind that sleeve down to get it to fit in there.

I like that Currie setup. I'll be going to that at some point, I think.

Last edited: