What the heck is this thing?

GorillaBiscuit

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, I've been on the interweb looking at tjs for sale, and I came across this one. It's got a bunch of after market crap installed ( lift kit, wheels and tires, steering stabilizer... etc ) and I see this thing on the shifter
. I have no clue what it is, it's the first time I've seen a picture of whatever it is.
What is it? I see the locker mods are done, so I'm guessing it has something to do with off-roading.

That Jeep's a later year 6 speed Rubicon . Hmmm

This is pretty cool. Didn’t know something like this existed. Crawling on a trail with a manual can suck with everything described above.

You got to tell us what it is and where to get it

It’s a Vernier knob, they use them on fire engine pump panels to throttle up. The red button is sort of a panic shut down the knob has fine adjustment. Got this one on Amazon had to make the throttle attachment But it’s pretty easy to do

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
If that's used while driving on a rough trail it'd be very hard to keep a steady hand while holding an arm in the air to adjust it. If it's just used for raising the rpms while parked for winch use or OBA that would work fine.

I installed my hand throttle on the gear shift hand strictly for use as a throttle control on rough trails that would otherwise cause me to bounce my foot on the gas pedal which can cause drivetrain breakage from shock loading. Placing it on the handle gives the hand a place to rest on to hold it steady when things get bumpy for smooth throttle control.

I had one on both my 5-speed and then new automatic after converting to it. For me and my non-talented right foot it made a world of difference where smooth throttle control on an extremely bumpy trail was concerned. :)

Reactions: Daryl
If that's used while driving on a rough trail it'd be very hard to keep a steady hand while holding an arm in the air to adjust it. If it's just used for raising the rpms while parked for winch use or OBA that would work fine.

I installed my hand throttle on the gear shift hand strictly for use as a throttle control on rough trails that would otherwise cause me to bounce my foot on the gas pedal which can cause drivetrain breakage from shock loading. Placing it on the handle gives the hand a place to rest on to hold it steady when things get bumpy for smooth throttle control.

I had one on both my 5-speed and then new automatic after converting to it. For me and my non-talented right foot it made a world of difference where smooth throttle control on an extremely bumpy trail was concerned. :)

View attachment 75440View attachment 75441
I actually had one on my CJ mounted to the shifter, never tried the bicycle lever. I use it when winching and I don’t have any problems adjusting it on rough trails, it has a very fine adjustment so you don’t over throttle if your hands not steady. I rest my hand on the center dash bezel and adjust with my thumb. Everyone is different though.