What tires are you running?

I have Dick Cepek Extreme Country in 33x10.50R15. At 40 psi they are quiet but a harsh ride. Aired down to 32 they are louder but smoother ride. At less than $200 each I can live with the noise.
This why you have a volume dial on your stereo...it can fix a multitude of problems lol :DJ:

Reactions: JMT and UpperMI
It is funny to me how many people rave about the K02's. Now up to this point, I have always ran the BF Mud terrains before they were called KM's I have always had good luck with them. I have bought vehicles that have run K02's, and they have always had issues with weird wear patterns or cupping. I have tried them once, and same thing horrible wear patterns. I am not sure if I just had a few bad sets, but I have never had any good luck with them. My friends either.

Since they don't make the mud terrains anymore, I decided to try the Duratracs. They are quiet for sure the ride nice. I have no complaints, but I have less than a couple thousand miles, and I got a side wall puncture from a allen wrench I picked up somewhere. That disturbs me a little because I have never had a flat before in my life, so I am going to write this off as bad luck. So I have a professional plug kit, and decided to plug the side wall, and make it my new spare since the tires are so new. Since this is the first time I ran these tires, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

We will see how it goes, but I am kind of eyeing the Toyo MT's for my next set, unless I am thoroughly impressed with the Duratracs.

I plan on getting Goodrich Radial T/A KO's. I have had good luck with this tire as it is pretty versatile. I am not doing heavy duty off road however. I guess people are calling them KO2's now. I know a lot of people running them and they are good. I haven't fully decided yet. Please continue advice as I am curious as well. Thanks.

@Thunderhead runs them and his are about done at around 10k if I recall correctly.
Hmmm .... the last set I had were 31" with 32k miles on them. Swapped them to 33" because they starting to crack and I wanted 33's. Still had tread. Differences in driving style, weight, tire pressure, and road surface come into play also.

Thats
It is funny to me how many people rave about the K02's. Now up to this point, I have always ran the BF Mud terrains before they were called KM's I have always had good luck with them. I have bought vehicles that have run K02's, and they have always had issues with weird wear patterns or cupping. I have tried them once, and same thing horrible wear patterns. I am not sure if I just had a few bad sets, but I have never had any good luck with them. My friends either.

Since they don't make the mud terrains anymore, I decided to try the Duratracs. They are quiet for sure the ride nice. I have no complaints, but I have less than a couple thousand miles, and I got a side wall puncture from a allen wrench I picked up somewhere. That disturbs me a little because I have never had a flat before in my life, so I am going to write this off as bad luck. So I have a professional plug kit, and decided to plug the side wall, and make it my new spare since the tires are so new. Since this is the first time I ran these tires, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

We will see how it goes, but I am kind of eyeing the Toyo MT's for my next set, unless I am thoroughly impressed with the Duratracs.
That's what I said after a rock from my gravel driveway punctured the DT tread the first time. The second time it happened It's the tire. My KO2 have gone twice as long on the same driveway zero issues.

Thats

That's what I said after a rock from my gravel driveway punctured the DT tread the first time. The second time it happened It's the tire. My KO2 have gone twice as long on the same driveway zero issues.

That is really interesting!! Thanks for that! I personally have had issues with k02's, well really to be perfectly honest, they were the BFG AT's (Now K02's), but I am probably going to avoid them. But the DT's are only a few months old. I will see how that plays out, but if I have any more issues, they will get replaced with Toyo's.

Reactions: KMG
If you go Toyo M/T's, be aware that they DO ball up pretty badly in the mud. I have them on the Suburban and they are a good tire, but look at the tread pattern on the outer lugs. They taper fairly radically from wide in the middle of the tire to narrower on the edge. Even my 454 has a hard time getting them to clean. Great everywhere else though. Even in the basalt rock.

KO2's. They ball up in snotty mud, but otherwise work great for a general purpose TJ tire. @Chris loves him some Duratracs, and those work as well. General AT2's work well, and pick up fewer rocks than KO2's do. Lots of good AT tires out there for a TJ. Someone else will have to talk about MT's, don't use them.

+1 on the KO2's ... I have had mine in snow and mud, haven't been stuck yet though.

Reactions: Baird and StG58
Cooper STT Pro (MT tire) is my current tire. The look is killer on a TJ. They clear mud well, rock grip is phenomenal. Sidewall has armor tek to give extra protection. Road noise is just where I like it, subtle. Stops on wet pavement well. A little grippy on dry pavement. Don’t know about longevity. At this point I’d buy them again.

If I were you I’d figure out what characteristics I needed in a tire and go from there.

Reactions: KCsTJ and StG58
Cooper STT Pro (MT tire) is my current tire. The look is killer on a TJ. They clear mud well, rock grip is phenomenal. Sidewall has armor tek to give extra protection. Road noise is just where I like it, subtle. Stops on wet pavement well. A little grippy on dry pavement. Don’t know about longevity. At this point I’d buy them again.

If I were you I’d figure out what characteristics I needed in a tire and go from there.
I had those on my Ram and Discount tire couldn't balance them after 4 tries they swapped all of the tires completely with brand new ones, then after 3 more tries they finally put on some Nitto's. They finally smoothed out. I am a little gun shy with the Coopers now. I do admit they are nice looking tires.

I am seriously surprised you are getting a good ride because of the load rating. Those are a D tire right?
Even the Nitto's are C on my 1/2 ton truck. Between you and me the Nitto's aren't near as 'neat', but they just couldn't work out the Coopers.

I am half tempted to try them again, but buying them from 4 wheel parts instead when my Nitto's wear out.

Report back to us in 20K miles.

I was seriously thinking of Duratracs, but I am going to be running pretty tight in the wells and Duratrac 33's run 33.1" where the KO's run 32.8. That is a difference that might push me to the KO's. I do love the look of the Duratracs though, but the KO's are nice as well.

Maxxis Trepadors, bias ply (not sticky)

Pro: grips better than anything off road I've ever used.
Bullet proof sidewalls as the tread run 3/4 of the way to the center, not if the sidewall has 2" think tread on it.

Con: don't balance well.
Heavy
Flat spots every time you start driving (worse in the cold)
Makes your ears bleed at highway speed (seriously, after a couple of hours with the half door uppers out my ears are ringing like a rock concert)
Fast wearing (plan on about 30k km useful life from em)
EXPENSIVE AS HELL

pro:
Sticks to everything
No seriously they have massive tracrion
Can drive out the side of a deep mud rut with ease
Seriously, sticks like crazy

Don't buy for a DD, only buy em for a dedicated trail rig, and even better a trailer queen.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Report back to us in 20K miles.
I will. I plan on getting tires every two years anyway...I plan to report on my tread depth every oil change, so every 5,000 miles.

Just sold my 31’s and recovered $140. Now I can get a 5th wheel and used spare.

Feel like the black sheep.....running Nitto terra grappler's , quiet, even wear, balanced well and great offroad.
20170111_184629.jpg

Reactions: ScottyD and JMT
I’m looking for a C load range for my 16 inch Moab rims that are both a good hwy tire and can air down and work well rock crawling. I currently have E rated Hankook 33’s that are hard as rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m looking for a C load range for my 16 inch Moab rims that are both a good hwy tire and can air down and work well rock crawling. I currently have E rated Hankook 33’s that are hard as rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think you'll find many, if any, choices for a "C" tire for a 16" wheel.