What TJ should I buy?

The Sport is a 2.72:1 ratio. I have had a few Wranglers with the 2.72:1 Transfer Case and loved them. My Rubi with the 4:1 I kinda hate. It was built for rock crawling. I live in the forest and end up starting in 2nd or 3rd gear. The worst part is 4:1 is incredibly slow. 1st gear on a dusty trail will blow dust in front of the Jeep. AND you will often need to shift to 4HI just to get home before dusk. Honestly my next TJ will be a Sport with lockers.

Exactly.

The Rubicon is a fine Jeep, but the 4:1 transfer case is really made for rock crawling. The 2.72:1 transfer case found in all of the other TJs is actually a better choice for all other off-road duties.

Jeep has done an excellent job at marketing the Rubicon. It seems that almost everyone now seems to think they "need" the [much more expensive] Rubicon model if they ever plan to go off the highway.

The blue one is probably as nice as you will find for 7500, if it is well maintained and has no issues, and can pass California emissions.

You aren't in danger of paying too much, you are in danger of paying too little, and that brings it's own challenges.

I'm not trying to sound condescending, do what you can afford , but if you don't want to spend a lot , you need to make dead sure that you don't get in a position where you spend 7000-8000 and then need 5-6,000 more to fix it.

We see this happen.

@Hog is right, and he's a smart buyer....I'd have 4 TJ's for what I have spent if I listened to him the last 2 years.

2.5 liter 4 cylinders abound in that price range. They are typically very clean, and underpowered.

Good luck.

exactly so i found this one can anyone give me any feedback on this one i might pick it up on monday but i just want more feedback on how this look

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...e1=JEEP&modelCode1=WRANGLER&clickType=listing

so ive gone to test drive it twice runs good i dont seem to find anyproblems it does come from snow states i did notice the frame is all painted black to look nice maybe there was rust but was painted to look nice so idk if thats a no go the interior is ridicolous clean idk these seats seem to be oem maybe you guys can correct me on that

just please anyone can give me some feed back on this and if you guys think is a good buy i might pull the trigger on monday

I think this is the best for a new person wanting a TJ.. they are gunna ride pretty good cause someone else didn’t screw it up with body lift and spacers and to big tires.. etc... you won’t loose any money on it if it turns out to be something you don’t like.. cause jeeps aren’t for everybody.. especially the older ones... they don’t ride like cars and it takes a lot on money to lift and improve to make it ride like “stock” after you alter it.. so get a stock one sport or Sahara package, check the frame and leaks and you won’t lose any money... unless you start modifying it... then you get addicted!
lol yeah so im looking at a X 2002 6 cylinder with 117k miles
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...e1=JEEP&modelCode1=WRANGLER&clickType=listing

can anyone give me any feed back and what they see off about this truck or maybe this is a good purchase like i mentioned i drove it twice it drives amazing everything seems to be working fine the ac is COLD like too cold i notice that the ac components outside do leak a whole lot of water but a friend of mine said that was normal it was about 99 degrees today here where i live and the ac was still very cold

umm lets see what has me worried is that the frame was painted all black so dont get me wrong it looks nice and clean and in perfect condition but d you guys think thats a no go ?

I'll throw in my $.02. I'm from the northeast and for the life of me I can't imagine why someone living in California would even consider a jeep that had ever lived in a place where they salt the roads, assuming that is where this one came from.

Anyway, if they've painted the frame you need to get under there and take a good look to see if any weld repairs were done on it. Often you can see where frame caps were welded on. Look where the tranny/tcase skid plate bolts to the center of the frame, look where the rear track bars mount. Stick your finger in any holes it'll fit in and feel around for rust and scale, it should feel smooth. Even better get a borescope and feed it through the frame and see how it looks. Also, the rear crossmember where the shocks bolt to is in a nice area to get plenty of salt spray and is often crusty, so make sure you look at that. Take a screwdriver and poke the bottom/lower sides of the frame in the areas discussed. Taps with a chipping hammer are better but some people don't like you pounding on their frames. Take your time. If all that pans out, look at the channels where the body mounts to the frame and poke/tap on them as well. Look at the floors and generally all over the bottom of the body. Some issues in floors wouldn't scare me as they are pretty easily fixed and not a structural problem, but avoid any of this if you can (and you can, you're in Cali). If all that pans out Look carefully at the front fenders between the hood and the plastic fender extension. In the rust belt, the front fenders rust out like crazy in these areas. Look for rust, or evidence of bodywork. Also in the rust belt areas the windshield frames often rust out. This can usually be seen from inside the cab looking down over the dash to the bottom of the frame. If it's gotten bad enough, you may see a hole(s) here. You can't see where it starts, which is at the bottom of the frame without folding the windshield forward and they aren't gonna let you do that.

So, that's where I start looking for rust. There are plenty of mechanical things to look for too, but for me, if I find one that is pretty solid structurally and a good price that's the key.

BUT!! Again, you are in California. I wouldn't even consider one that came from a rust belt area. Be patient, take your time and keep looking. A lot of us have looked for months and months for the right TJ. In my area there is a LOT of rust bucket junk ones, and the ones that are in good shape command top dollar. Also, consider expanding your search, maybe Nevada, etc. I wouldn't want one that had played on the beach too much either.

Good luck!

Edited to add that with this jeep, with these particular pictures, none of us can offer much of an opinion. We would need detailed pics of the underneath. Even then, you need to do your due diligence and spend the time crawling around underneath it. It sure looks pretty on the top, but I've looked at MANY low mileage TJs that looked perfect on top only to find scaly nastiness on and inside the frame.

Reactions: AndyG
I'll throw in my $.02. I'm from the northeast and for the life of me I can't imagine why someone living in California would even consider a jeep that had ever lived in a place where they salt the roads, assuming that is where this one came from.

Anyway, if they've painted the frame you need to get under there and take a good look to see if any weld repairs were done on it. Often you can see where frame caps were welded on. Look where the tranny/tcase skid plate bolts to the center of the frame, look where the rear track bars mount. Stick your finger in any holes it'll fit in and feel around for rust and scale, it should feel smooth. Even better get a borescope and feed it through the frame and see how it looks. Also, the rear crossmember where the shocks bolt to is in a nice area to get plenty of salt spray and is often crusty, so make sure you look at that. Take a screwdriver and poke the bottom/lower sides of the frame in the areas discussed. Taps with a chipping hammer are better but some people don't like you pounding on their frames. Take your time. If all that pans out, look at the channels where the body mounts to the frame and poke/tap on them as well. Look at the floors and generally all over the bottom of the body. Some issues in floors wouldn't scare me as they are pretty easily fixed and not a structural problem, but avoid any of this if you can (and you can, you're in Cali). If all that pans out Look carefully at the front fenders between the hood and the plastic fender extension. In the rust belt, the front fenders rust out like crazy in these areas. Look for rust, or evidence of bodywork. Also in the rust belt areas the windshield frames often rust out. This can usually be seen from inside the cab looking down over the dash to the bottom of the frame. If it's gotten bad enough, you may see a hole(s) here. You can't see where it starts, which is at the bottom of the frame without folding the windshield forward and they aren't gonna let you do that.

So, that's where I start looking for rust. There are plenty of mechanical things to look for too, but for me, if I find one that is pretty solid structurally and a good price that's the key.

BUT!! Again, you are in California. I wouldn't even consider one that came from a rust belt area. Be patient, take your time and keep looking. A lot of us have looked for months and months for the right TJ. In my area there is a LOT of rust bucket junk ones, and the ones that are in good shape command top dollar. Also, consider expanding your search, maybe Nevada, etc. I wouldn't want one that had played on the beach too much either.

Good luck!

Edited to add that with this jeep, with these particular pictures, none of us can offer much of an opinion. We would need detailed pics of the underneath. Even then, you need to do your due diligence and spend the time crawling around underneath it. It sure looks pretty on the top, but I've looked at MANY low mileage TJs that looked perfect on top only to find scaly nastiness on and inside the frame.
thanks for your opinion really apreciate it i have videos of how the car looks from under neath but idk if i can send those i did crawl under the car and obviously did find some rust but tbh it wasnt as bad a frien dof mind mentioned you will find rust in almost every jeep out there that is basically 20 years old and more and especially if they are over 100k miles im not also tryna pay 20k for a perfect tj.

also another thing to mention i did look under the the fenders because i did look online that thats where the rust is really bad and again tbh on this one there was zero rust under there even in the engine bay there was very minum rust like literally only on the small brackets and it was more just like a layer of small rust that can maybe just clean off

im try to see if i can add pics here and videos

here are some vids

Attachments

• 0C7A1B27-3DC4-4829-8371-F2490A1FF70D.MP4
    13.4 MB
  • 8F5773E1-6243-496B-B10B-456D926A7F3D.MP4
    12.5 MB
  • 093D3D35-71F4-485D-BDF6-751826BAB0CF.MP4
    26.5 MB
  • 12895B97-7DF0-4359-BD17-ABC1A65C7AE7.MP4
    19.6 MB
umm lets see what has me worried is that the frame was painted all black so dont get me wrong it looks nice and clean and in perfect condition but d you guys think thats a no go ?
I paint all of my Jeep frames to make them look better and not rust. If it's thick undercoating, that's a different story. Surface rust is no big deal and easy to remove.
rubicon frame.jpg

Last edited:
Frame looks good to me. They did obviously paint it, but I think to just cover surface rust. If purchased you should look into the threads about creating small drainage holes in the frame, but idk how big of a deal drainage is for SoCali Jeeps

i mean i keep looking at the videos and i also went 2 days in a row to go look at the jeep and man it does not look too bad for being a jeep that came from a snow state .. maybe it was a well maintained car i mean idk

and as far ass drains go i mean i wouldnt mind making some but i do live in socal so idk if is a huge deal