Texas What to do around San Antonio?

eastbloc

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Howdy Texans!
I am heading towards Corpus Christi, then turn south and explore Tex-Mex border till i reach New Mexico.
In the mean time i am visiting San Antonio for a week, and would like to hear your recommendations on local things to see, trails to explore, food to eat or anything that put a smile on your face!
Also, any local service auto shops you frequently visit and trust? I have aligned my axles under the Jeep the best i could before i got on the road, would like to hear opinion from someone with fancy machines that are a bit more precise than my ruler.

Top 4 reasons to visit San Antonio. 🤫 My Jeep used to live there.

San Antonio Men's Club​

6 Foursquare tips · Adult entertainment
8244 Interchange Pkwy, San Antonio · (210) 590-7088
Closed · Opens 11 AM

DIRECTIONS

WEBSITE

XTC Cabaret​

6 Foursquare tips · Adult entertainment
2023 Sable Ln, San Antonio · (210) 822-3104
Closes in 23 mins

DIRECTIONS

WEBSITE

Perfect 10​

Tripadvisor (2) · Adult entertainment
111 NW Loop 410, San Antonio · (210) 344-6601
Closed · Opens 11 AM

DIRECTIONS

WEBSITE

Player's Club​

1 Foursquare tip · Adult entertainment
11431 Perrin Beitel Rd, San Antonio · (210) 691-2050
Closed · Opens Thu 9 PM

Red McCombs (2).jpg

Also I would head up a bit to Austin! The clubs and bars are full of collage "People" ( being politically correct) and the drinking age laws are a bit lapsed compared to the rest of USA so its a lot of fun, and a bit less pretentious :)

The clubs and bars are full of collage "People"
College. 🤫 ;)

Collage is a technique of art creation, primarily used in the visual arts, but in music too, by which art results from an assemblage of different forms, thus creating a new whole.

Last edited:
San Antonio has a 'real' downtown, as does Austin. I would go downtown and park near the Alamo. The tour of the Alamo is a must as it is the heart of Texas freedom and is cool. Then, go down to the river walk - it meanders through downtown, just at a lower level. You can get on one of the river barges and have dinner. Eat in almost any of the restaurants on the river, Tex-Mex being one of the favs for SA. If you are feeling extra touristy, go up in the Tower of the Americas, part of Expo '68, with the obligatory revolving restaurant on top. If you are feeling historical, you can follow the Mission Trail, a series of missions founded way back when to help convert the local indigenous population and tend to their spiritual needs. If you like golf, SA has many, many municipal and semi-private golf courses. My goto for serious Jeep work is Bikini Offroad (https://bikinioffroad.com/). They only work on Jeeps, mostly Wranglers. I would not take my Jeep to a dealership, especially Red McCombs or Anciria.

There is a Jeep club in SA, but they are on Facebook, which I don't do. You might look for them to get ideas about trails in the area. Corpus Christi is where I go with my Jeep, specifically to the Padre Island National Seashore. There is a north and a south Padre Island, with a split in the middle. I usually go to north Padre and drive down the beach for several miles. You can drive on the beach, but not on the dunes. There are some motels on north Padre if you want to spend the night. Or, you can drive down towards Brownsville from CC to get to south Padre. South Padre is more of a party zone with several motels, bars, etc.

The USS Lexington is permanently moored in CC, next to the Texas State Aquarium. The Lex is a WWII aircraft carrier, which I found interesting. If fishing is your thing, there are several fishing charter places in CC.

Before you drive into Mexico, you might want to do some research. Most US car insurance doesn't work in Mexico, so they will try to sell you some at the border. Check with your insurer and see about getting a rider for Mexico. Do not take any guns into Mexico, they will most likely be discovered and confiscated. Don't even think about buying illegal drugs and smuggling them back into the US. However, there are several pharmacies in Matamoros and Nueva Laredo where you can buy prescription meds (made in the same factory as those in the US) for a small fraction of the price charged in the US. You will need a doctor's prescription.

One final note - Texas is BIG. It takes nine hours of straight driving to get from SA to El Paso on I-10. SA to CC is about 2.5 to 3 hours. Austin has about 3 or 4 times as many people as the city was designed for. It has one main street, I-35 which is usually stop and go. Before they built the loop around the east side of Austin it could take 3 hours to get through. If you do go to Austin, sixth street is the main party area with thousands of college kids from the Univ of TX-Austin. The SA police are pretty nice and won't hassle you. The Austin cops are a different story - don't mess with them.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: matkal
Get you a burger over at Armadillos off McCullough Ave in San Antonio. Park in downtown SA near Alamo and walk around lots of shops to stop and visit, also the River Walk is in the same area you can walk that. Mi Terria in Market Square has some decent food and good bakery. In the market square lots of shops you can visit and foods.

X2 to taking a tour of the Alamo. I was outside it but arrived minutes after it closed while in boot camp in 1966. Bummed I could only see it from the outside. Surprising to me is the Alamo is now surrounded by tall buildings/skyscrapers.

The River Walk is a good place to relax and eat with refreshments. At least it was in 1966 lol.

Seems like exploring downtown area is a general consensus. On Saturday evening i got a little taste of it, made a reservation in one of the restaurants and ended up being 40 minutes late, everyone was pouring into the area for what ever reason. When fuel light came up on the dash, it was my cue to call it quits, i was too hungry and irritated lol

Go down to Laredo and cross the border for the day! We did it years ago and it was better than Tajuana, not sure its still the same as some now say its pretty dangerous.
Also I would head up a bit to Austin! The clubs and bars are full of collage "People" ( being politically correct) and the drinking age laws are a bit lapsed compared to the rest of USA so its a lot of fun, and a bit less pretentious :)
I used to live in Austin roughly 8 years ago, not a stranger to 6th street at all, and the 5th, even discovered all the fun gays have on the 4th street. Idk, i left Austin with a decent memory about it, not sure i want to go back and ruin it, i hear things change a lot and fast.
Just like with border crossings, i did plenty of protection details from Tijuana and Juarez 5 years ago, with each year they were only getting worse and worse, to the point where we started to consider to only send Latino looking guys that way.

Austin has In-n-Out though, sometimes i find it hard to resist those gluten's

X2 to taking a tour of the Alamo. I was outside it but arrived minutes after it closed while in boot camp in 1966. Bummed I could only see it from the outside. Surprising to me is the Alamo is now surrounded by tall buildings/skyscrapers.

The River Walk is a good place to relax and eat with refreshments. At least it was in 1966 lol.
My goodness man, that was like way back when, probably even before everyone in Austin unanimously agreed that Huston went down the hill.
Did they have river boats when you were there?

My goodness man, that was like way back when, probably even before everyone in Austin unanimously agreed that Huston went down the hill.
Did they have river boats when you were there?
I don't recall if boats were in that River Walk area or not. Yes that was a long time ago when I was last there.

They had paddle boats on the river in '64 and '68 during visits. When we moved here in '92 they had been replaced by the city owned party barges and water taxis. BTW, they have extended the river walk a few miles north of the original to where the old Pearl brewery was located. It has been restored and converted into shops, etc.
Jerry, when you get out of CA you should consider moving here. Every other person I meet on the street is an AF alum! Only one state has more vets - CA (probably in San Diego).

Go down to Laredo and cross the border for the day! We did it years ago and it was better than Tajuana, not sure its still the same as some now say its pretty dangerous.
Ive spent a ton of time in Laredo and enjoyed it. Wide open, gorgeous, warm, tons of wildlife, great culture. Very good food too.

It was about 4 years ago and was with a group of coworkers and we were looking to cross the border one Saturday morning and the waitresses at breakfast told us not to and that it was still very dangerous. Kidnappings of Americans for ransom and cartels. There was even a mass grave site found not far at all from the US border.

We worked at an old mining complex about an hour or so northwest of Laredo The Rio Grande was less than a 1/2 mile away and you could look into Mexico if you were on a high point of the property. Every morning as we'd drive in you'd smell a campfire or see smoke not far off in the distance. The facility where we kept our equipment you'd find someone had just slept there. Any fence on the mine property had signs of people crossing, and it was not uncommon to find a duffle bag out in the middle of nowhere (usually discarded clothes).

Anybody near McGregor? I have a line of two sets of half doors in good condition for cheap. Might be a scam, but if not, they are available for a really low price. I just want one set, and you can buy the other.