California What to do with this dealer

Well damn, the JL changes the whole picture! Take it back and tell them to eat shit then go on the JL forum and look for a dealer in your area that is offering anywhere from 5-11% off invoice. If you mention that you're a JL forum member, those dealership off greater discounts and some charge NO dealer fees. And some dealers that are out of your state will also ship the vehicle to you for FREE! I know stevewhitemotors.net does because my aunt and uncle use them for vehicles. Regardless, there's lots of JLs out there and dealers that won't try to screw you over. You just have to find them. Good luck!

Last edited:
It sounds like an honest mistake. While I too generally distrust dealers, many honest ones exist still, with good people working for them.

I'd take the JL in, and give them a choice:
1. Take the JL back and unwind the whole deal with zero impact on your credit; or
2. Give you a fair price on your trade.

I bet they take #2, they dont want the new car back of they can avoid it. Either way, a respectful/ positive approach will get you alot farther. Dealers get threatened all the time, rarely moves them in my experience.

HTH

Reactions: ShredAZ and tworley
Any update on this? I’m curious as I have seen dealers screw customers with the “you signed the contract, it’s too late to change anything” line.

Any update on this? I’m curious as I have seen dealers screw customers with the “you signed the contract, it’s too late to change anything” line.

I mean that's how it works...it's a legally binding signature. They are not obligated to change anything. As a consumer, it is your responsibility to have everything in writing before you sign.

That being said. The dealer shot themselves in the foot on this one. If anything, OP made off like a bandit.

I mean that's how it works...it's a legally binding signature. They are not obligated to change anything. As a consumer, it is your responsibility to have everything in writing before you sign.

That being said. The dealer shot themselves in the foot on this one. If anything, OP made off like a bandit.
I fully understand that, I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck.

Reactions: ShredAZ
Latest update, after contacting Jeep, they while they can't give a legal advice, they think that the deal should honor the offer, since I didn't hide anything from them, and from the first moment I told them I don't want to trade-in. Jeep said, although they don't have power on dealerships, but they will talk to them to try to find a solution.
Also talked to an attorney, he said that since there's discrepancies in the contract, like there's a trade-in amount while there's no mention of make, model, VIN..etc, this 100% nullify the contract, and it's up to them to take the car or re-negotiate a new deal. on my side, I have to return the car or accept their new offer.... Tomorrow (Monday) I'm taking the car to the dealership, if they don't make a fair offer I'll return it.

Again, Thank you for all the advises. I went to the dealer last week, they kept saying it was an honest mistake and that they left the $5000 mistakenly in the system, but they couldn't explain how they asked me for a huge down payment that they kept lowering it while we were negotiating if they had already $5000 trade-in in the system, unless they were trying to rip me off or it was an intentional trick. Anyway, returned the car with 670 miles on it, and took a signed contract cancellation notice with no future liability on me.

Glad yall got it sorted out. I've been in a similar situation with a dealer. I stuck to my guns and it came out ok.