What to look for / listen for when buying a used TJ?

Zacw

I'm buying a TJ this Saturday and was wondering what are some standard things to listen for/look for on these cars. I know about rust spots, I'm more interested in the mechanical aspect which I don't have much experience determining what is what. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read and repy!

Listen for knocks, squeaks and rattle. Check the steering for excess slack. Bounce the corners to check shocks. Look at age of tires.
By the way, if that’s your Mustang, it looks nice!

Reactions: Zacw
Listen for knocks, squeaks and rattle. Check the steering for excess slack. Bounce the corners to check shocks. Look at age of tires.
By the way, if that’s your Mustang, it looks nice!
I'll listen for those, do you happen to know what they mean? like knock= x... squeek=...?

And yeah it is! Just finished restoring the interior, I know its not part of this forum but screw it check it out

Reactions: K0LCB
Any details about the TJ? Year, Engine size, trany, model? Listen for excessive engine tick that might indicate a cracked exhaust manifold. That is a common issue with the 4.0L. Drive it up to freeway speeds and make sure it drives smooth. Check for unusual tire wear, which might indicate worn out suspension/steering components.

Any details about the TJ? Year, Engine size, trany, model? Listen for excessive engine tick that might indicate a cracked exhaust manifold. That is a common issue with the 4.0L. Drive it up to freeway speeds and make sure it drives smooth. Check for unusual tire wear, which might indicate worn out suspension/steering components.
Sorry for lack of information, It's a 2000 Sahara 4.0 I6 automatic transmission. Thanks for your response