What to look for when buying? Willys M-100 Trailer

0ver7and

Hey guys, so I came across a Willys M-100 trailer for sale in my area for 500$ CAD (negotiable),

I'm going to pick it up this afternoon, however, trailer is rusty as hell - definitely will have some body work to be done on it, aside from that, what should I look at before purchasing?

This will be my first trailer and long term plan is to build a camper out of it with a home made pop up tent.
Here's the photo of the trailer.
$_59.jpg

I depends on if you are wanting to restore it to original or make it modified for your use. If original look for all the components like lunette ring, brake lever and cables, lights, landing leg floor drain plugs etc are all there. Check the frame to make sure it isn’t rusted out. If modding it just make sure the thing isn’t rotted beyond repair. I am in the process of building an M-100 also. But I’m only using the tub. From the one I purchased. I am building a whole new frame with an extended frame for a tounge box and an extendable tongue. I’ll be adding a rear bumper and new fenders with storage areas front and rear of the fender. I am adding a 3500# axle with electric brakes and a 5 on 4.5” bolt pattern to match the Jeep. It will have 35x10.50-15 tires and painted to match the Jeep only using a color match raptor liner bed liner material.

Thank you guys for the responses, I went to. check it out. It's body bolted on frame, however, the trailer floor is rusted through near the front end and the front end itself is rusted through in a straight line (see pictures). The suspension was changed recently.

Since I don't know how to weld nor do I have the necessary equipment, do you think it's worth purchasing for 300 CAD? I was thinking of just redoing the floor with wood and perhaps doing some bundo / plexiglass work everywhere where the red tape is (rusted through). Frame is rusted but not rotten. However, my concern is the structure won't be solid enough to hold a foldable pop up tent with two people sleeping in it. What's your take guys?

IMG_2833.jpg
IMG_2834.jpg
IMG_2835.jpg

If you can’t fix it yourself, pass.

I bought my M416 (little bro to the M100) with zero rust for not much more.

Go new if you can’t do the work yourself or can’t pay someone to do it.

Reactions: Twopoint
What’s your price range. My business partner builds these at the shop. Can add anything you want to it. Hot water for showers you name it. View attachment 152421

Do you have a link you can share? I am researching trailers now. I have an LJ, 4.56 gears and I am looking for something I can tow and not break the bank or the transmission :)

Do you have a link you can share? I am researching trailers now. I have an LJ, 4.56 gears and I am looking for something I can tow and not break the bank or the transmission :)
Their aluminum frame and tub prices depend on what you want added or done to it.
98F21D12-4B65-44B0-8E07-72EADD758C9D.jpeg

This is one of those things you sometimes just have to be patient for and wait until you come across the right one. I ended up buying mine in a Gov't auction from the Missouri National Guard in pristine condition. The unit called me before I drove up and asked out of curiosity what I was going to do with it. Was I going to modify it, cut into it in any way, etc.. I chatted with them for awhile and then realized once I got up there that they saved me one that was absolutely perfect. They gave the beat up ones to people who were planning on modifying them.

Good resource: G503.com - 1/4 Ton Trailers

1589986910441.png

Reactions: TJ Starting