What type of communication radio is best?

What's more, this reflected energy can do damage to the radio itself.
While true for most transmitters, most CBs have had automatic protective circuits for 20+ years that would such prevent damage. CB manufacturers added the protective circuits during the CB craze of the 70's-80's when few knew or cared that antennas needed to be tuned

Reactions: Jerry Little
While true for most transmitters, most CBs have had automatic protective circuits for 20+ years that would such prevent damage. CB manufacturers added the protective circuits during the CB craze of the 70's-80's when few knew or cared that antennas needed to be tuned
Hmm didn't know that, I wonder why most antenna manufacturers go on about how important it is to properly turn the antenna or it will kill the radio.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I have a Midland handheld CB. It’s strictly for trail use and I have no problem communicating with those in our groups.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000K2YR/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I was recently given a handheld HAM radio because the local club uses them as well. Until I get my license, it’s strictly for listening only.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSOK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The benefit that I like about the handhelds is that I can carry them around with me when out of the Jeep. I also don’t have to worry about them getting stolen, since my Jeep never has windows in it.

Is your goal communication between vehicles in your caravan, or to the outside world when you are deep in the mountains? I would think that will help determine what you need.
So what if you was to go out by yourself and you had the ham radio and something happened and you broke down and used the Ham radio to contact someone?

Reactions: matkal
The antenna (not the radio) needs to be tuned (its length adjusted) even if it's for just one channel. Tuning the antenna does two things... 1) Most importantly, it verifies the antenna was installed correctly. An incorrect install usually means the antenna mount is shorting the transmitter dead to ground. 2) It lets the antenna radiate all the transmitted power being sent to it. An untuned antenna will actually reflect back much of the transmitted signal right back to the radio instead of being radiated out of the antenna.
Interesting. How do most of you route the antenna cable to get out back? Firewall and underneath?

Interesting. How do most of you route the antenna cable to get out back? Firewall and underneath?

My cable never goes outside the vehicle except for the few inches to connect to the antenna.

Under the carpet and along the tubs edge. Then down the rubber grommet to where the taillight wiring is and out the hole for the taillight wiring and up to the antenna. Simple!

IMG_20171128_093331415.jpg

Reactions: JMT
My cable never goes outside the vehicle except for the few inches to connect to the antenna.

Under the carpet and along the tubs edge. Then down the rubber grommet to where the taillight wiring is and out the hole for the taillight wiring and up to the antenna. Simple!

View attachment 54461
So a hole was drilled threw the body to the inside where you have a rubber grommet?

How do u do that when the tail light covers it and the brake wiring goes through the hole to under the jeep in the dead space above the plastic?

unbolt the left tail light and you'll see there is enough room to run the coax thru the tub. Just cut a slit in the rubber grommet that feeds the wiring harness thru the tub and snake the coax thru the grommet.

I went old school with this dinosaur Cobra 66ltd.
20160710_141203.jpg

So what if you was to go out by yourself and you had the ham radio and something happened and you broke down and used the Ham radio to contact someone?

First, I would need a more powerful setup. Theoretically I could get fined $25,000 for operating it without a license. That’s why I don’t transmit until I get the license.

However, I also wouldn’t go out alone to some place so remote that I had to depend on a Ham radio to get me help if it was needed.

Reactions: CodaMan
The antenna (not the radio) needs to be tuned (its length adjusted) even if it's for just one channel. Tuning the antenna does two things... 1) Most importantly, it verifies the antenna was installed correctly. An incorrect install usually means the antenna mount is shorting the transmitter dead to ground. 2) It lets the antenna radiate all the transmitted power being sent to it. An untuned antenna will actually reflect back much of the transmitted signal right back to the radio instead of being radiated out of the antenna.

thanks for the info Jerry, I'll take it back to buddy and have it tuned, he only charges 10 bucks and I trust the guy. When I go back I'll see if he will let me take some pictures of his garage, it was obvious to me he has been doing this a long time, his entire garage is devoted to CB's and there is one wall lined from top to bottom across the entire length, quite cool actually.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
He's running the antenna cable through the same hole as the existing taillight wiring.

Another way to do it without drilling a hole in the tub for the coax is to route it as shown here, then run it along the side of the tub next to the existing factory wiring to the front of the cab, then to the location where you want to mount your radio.

Jerry Cans.jpg

2m Ham & CB on Arizona Rocky Road Mount.jpg

Any real reason to use a CB for day to day driving? I see the off road uses, but honestly get out less frequently that I'd like. I pretty well enjoy the TJ over these past 20 years without one. If I'd use it/enjoy it for my frequent long mountain drives or even around town, I'd go for it (everything I need is loaded up in the Amazon cart waiting for a 'click' !)