What type of oil do you use?

Running 20W-60 Penrite high mileage mineral at the moment and its winter here, no leak down runs puuurfect! You guys are so set in your ways and blinded with oil viscosities lol, older worn engines require more than manufactures recommended! Its a bit like 02 sensors, we cant get NTK/NGK unless we import them but many Aussie jeeps are running Bosh or similar with no problems at all! Too many of you have been "Jerryfied" lol, If he had his way everyone would only have a 2004 Auto TJ "According to Google" Careful who you praise because not all non mechanics are mechanical messiahs Just because of personal experience! Me I tend to trust mechanical advise when it counts. :)

https://www.penrite.info/en/engine-oils/hpr-series/hpr-30-20w-60-mineral
Hey Fishtaco, Dude I'm just yanking your chain a little ! :p Seriously a lot of us know the latitude of right and wrong can be fairly broad in the Jeep world. lol.
I saw a thread about oil viscosity among other subjects and you came to mind since you were called everything but a mate over your oil choice a while back !!!
I poke a little fun your way ONLY because it appears you appreciate some humor , ( humour ) !
Group think can certainly affect a forum and this site is no exception !
I say use whatever works for you, oil , tires , shocks , manual , automatic , doors , no doors , top , no top.
Have a good winter season man !!

Here in SOCAL I use a conventional Valvoline 10W-30 year-round. But if Valvoline were to disappear tomorrow, I'd happily run any major brand of engine oil... they're all superb now.

If I lived where it got really cold, I'd switch to a 5W-30 synthetic for the winter but go back to conventional 10W-30 once it started warming up. I've never been a fan of Mobil-1 after reading lots of reports of increased iron levels in oil test samples with that oil from Blackstone Lab's oil analyses.

Hi there , which kind of synthetic and SAE oil it 's better for Toronto weather ,i have a tj 2005 4 L ?

Hi there , which kind of synthetic and SAE oil it 's better for Toronto weather ,i have a tj 2005 4 L ?
The brand is not a big deal, any major brand like Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc. should be fine. Just make sure it's a High Mileage version. For cold weather I'd run a 5W-30. I don't believe that Toronto gets cold enough to warrant a 0W-30.

Now stop me if this discussion already exists, I can't find it. Anyway, just wondering what oil I should use during a jersey winter. I have 118k on my 4.0 stock motor.

Hi , there I live in Toronto same weather like yours in Jersey I use full synthetic Motomaster 10w40 and I’m happy with it .

5w-30 summer, 5w-20 winter, no special oil, Motorcraft filter, almost 250,000 miles, inside of engine is clean as a whistle and no noises, original engine. Service every 3ooo

My new to me has Rotella 15/40 in it from the previous owner. It is the second oil change since a complete rebuild and now has 1 year and 5,000 miles on it. I like Rotella but I know the Jeep 4.0 is supposed to use 5W/30 or 10W/30, not 15W/30. I will use 10W/30 living here in the desert. Having used Rotella in my diesels but never in a gas engine I am seeing Rotella 10W/30 T5 in a synthetic blend or the T6 in a full synthetic, apparently the T6 is both diesel and gas engine rated. I am not 100% set on full synthetic but for some reason the rebuilder told the PO to use a full synthetic in this engine and so far it has had only a full synthetic since the rebuild about 6,000 miles ago. What would you do?