What type of vehicle is needed to tow a Jeep?

jazngab

Done but not quite finished
Supporting Member
Just doing some forward thinking and am wondering what’s needed to tow a Jeep. I don’t currently own a truck (gasp!) and I would prefer not to buy one at the current moment or near future. I do have a GMC Acadia but I doubt that it has the towing ability, I’d have to look into it more. Interested in what kind of costs I’d be looking at, whether it’s easier/cheaper to trailer it vs tow behind minus trailer, etc. What would be the minimal towing ability of a vehicle to accomplish this safely? Thanks in advance

I like to go with a little overkill myself. 3/4 ton Cummins with a featherlight 20' 9600gvw trailer. Regards Tom D

IMG_20190605_130521173.jpg

An Acadia should be able to flat tow a TJ. A TJ and trailer probably easly push over 5500lbs which I think is beyond the towing capacity of the Acadia. My opinion is you don't want to be on the edge towing. The Acadia is rated about 5300lbs so flat towing 4k should be okay but adding a trailer puts you easily over that. Always best when towing especially if you aren't experienced to keep well within the ratings of everything.

Reactions: K0LCB and jazngab
I am investigating tow options as well. My quandary is choosing between an F150 Supercab 4x4 or a GMC Sierra, or going big with a 3/4 ton like an F250. I would prefer the smaller truck because it will be a daily driver.

Generally speaking, the tow rig needs to be able to flat tow 5,000# easily, preferably 6,000# since some armored rigs can exceed 5,000# when fully loaded with fuel and gear, especially LJ's. For towing with a trailer a 7,500# tow capacity is the absolute minimum I would consider for a tow rig.

Another thing to bear in mind is that most states now requires a flat towed vehicle to be equipped with auxiliary brakes such as a Brake Buddy, etc., which can be expensive and narrow the gap between the cost of flat towing and the cost of a car hauler trailer. The days of being able to get by with a cheap tow bar, a couple of chains and some magnetic lights are over.

My initial advice is that before you go much further you have your jeep weighed both loaded and unloaded so you know what you are working with. I think many people underestimate the weight of their jeeps. My LJ Rubicon with hard top has a published curb weight of 4,012#. However, as modified with driver and full tank of gas but no gear, it weighs just over 4,800#. Fully loaded for a week long trip with gas, gear, spares, food, ice and extra fuel and water it weighs just over 5,300#. A friend's LJ with fully armored body weighs 5,800# with his hardtop installed.

I am investigating tow options as well. My quandary is choosing between an F150 Supercab 4x4 or a GMC Sierra, or going big with a 3/4 ton like an F250. I would prefer the smaller truck because it will be a daily driver.

Generally speaking, the tow rig needs to be able to flat tow 5,000# easily, preferably 6,000# since some armored rigs can exceed 5,000# when fully loaded with fuel and gear, especially LJ's. For towing with a trailer a 7,500# tow capacity is the absolute minimum I would consider for a tow rig.

Another thing to bear in mind is that most states now requires a flat towed vehicle to be equipped with auxiliary brakes such as a Brake Buddy, etc., which can be expensive and narrow the gap between the cost of flat towing and the cost of a car hauler trailer. The days of being able to get by with a cheap tow bar, a couple of chains and some magnetic lights are over.

My initial advice is that before you go much further you have your jeep weighed both loaded and unloaded so you know what you are working with. I think many people underestimate the weight of their jeeps. My LJ Rubicon with hard top has a published curb weight of 4,012#. However, as modified with driver and full tank of gas but no gear, it weighs just over 4,800#. Fully loaded for a week long trip with gas, gear, spares, food, ice and extra fuel and water it weighs just over 5,300#. A friend's LJ with fully armored body weighs 5,800# with his hardtop installed.
Same boat as you. It would be a daily vehicle so gas mileage plays a factor. But don’t want it to be too wimpy where it defeats the point of having a truck.

However, as modified with driver and full tank of gas but no gear, it weighs just over 4,800#. Fully loaded for a week long trip with gas, gear, spares, food, ice and extra fuel and water it weighs just over 5,300#. A friend's LJ with fully armored body weighs 5,800# with his hardtop installed.

In a discussion about safe towing you mention your rig is 700lbs over gvwr and your friends is 1200lbs over, at least if they are rated like mine at 4600lbs. I don't think it's an issue, just funny.

They are all about the same size, the bed length and cab configuration is really all that changes the size. At least when looking at f150, f250 and f350. I think even the 2500HD is still the same size as the 1500s.

We recently picked up an 2015 f150 with the 3.6 EcoBoost as equipped with the heavy duty tow package it will tow 11,000lbs. Most 1/2 ton trucks are in this area. And it gets 19mpg as a daily driver(with my wife driving, she has a heavy right foot) I can get it to about 20mpg.

Reactions: jazngab
We recently picked up an 2015 f150 with the 3.6 EcoBoost as equipped with the heavy duty tow package it will tow 11,000lbs. Most 1/2 ton trucks are in this area. And it gets 19mpg as a daily driver(with my wife driving, she has a heavy right foot) I can get it to about 20mpg.
That’s actually a lot better than my Acadia that gets around 16-17 mpg

I have flat towed my TJ behind my Grand Cherokee. Of course the GC is really a Mercedes so maybe you can’t count that as a Jeep.

When I found my ‘02 Tj I attempted to rent a dolly to pull it home using my 2013 Ford Edge, a 2 hr drive, U-haul wouldn’t rent me one saying my Edge was too light. Took about a week but I eventually carried a second driver with me and she drove the Ford while I drove the Tj.

@Alex01 trailers his TJ with a F150 ecoboost diesel and seems to do ok. Personally, if I wanted to trailer my jeep, it would have to be with a 3/4 ton or bigger truck, and not necessarily a diesel. @Rob5589 has flat towed his TJ with a 1/2 ton truck. He had a supplemental brake system on the tow bar(surge brake type). Maybe these two will chime in their experiences. I flat tow mine behind my RV. a good tow bar is important IMO. I also use a Brake Buddy for supplemental braking. You can often times find tow setups on CL for good deals.

I think I would possibly try to flat tow using the Acadia as my Tj isn’t heavy with armor or large tires. It would primarily be to go to the off road park or maybe the beach. Both about 2 hrs tops. My biggest concern would be the brakes.

Any of the F150's will easily tow a Jeep. So would any full size American pickup and some of the bigger Asian ones as well. Towing a Jeep is not a big challenge. Each year the trucks get stronger. I have a brutish stock 1997 F250HD. Great truck, but I'll wager the new half tons could easily match it and do so with less fuel.

I flat towed with a 1/2t 2wd Silverado without issue. I did use the NSA Ready Brake set up and when done correctly, it worked very well. To stay legal in almost every state, above 1500 lbs needs supplemental braking. That and it is just a whole shit ton safer. My Silverado before the RB would lose braking power quickly on flat, and get down right scary on downhills.

I think I would possibly try to flat tow using the Acadia as my Tj isn’t heavy with armor or large tires. It would primarily be to go to the off road park or maybe the beach. Both about 2 hrs tops. My biggest concern would be the brakes.
Just because, I looked up the tow rating on the Acadia. 4000 lbs max with the V6. And that is only if you have a specific towing package. I wouldn't tow the TJ with that.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Just because, I looked up the tow rating on the Acadia. 4000 lbs max with the V6. I wouldn't tow the TJ with that.
Yea based on your last post I think I agree. Once I read “braking downhill became downright scary” that was enough for me

Yea based on your last post I think I agree. Once I read “braking downhill became downright scary” that was enough for me
Good idea. Once you get the fam loaded, gear and food for the day, fueled up, extra fuel, etc, you'll be way over the safe limit of the Acadia. Rent a 3/4 pick up for the day. Or better yet, buy a new truck 😁

@Alex01 trailers his TJ with a F150 ecoboost diesel and seems to do ok. Personally, if I wanted to trailer my jeep, it would have to be with a 3/4 ton or bigger truck, and not necessarily a diesel. @Rob5589 has flat towed his TJ with a 1/2 ton truck. He had a supplemental brake system on the tow bar(surge brake type). Maybe these two will chime in their experiences. I flat tow mine behind my RV. a good tow bar is important IMO. I also use a Brake Buddy for supplemental braking. You can often times find tow setups on CL for good deals.
Close but a ram 1500 ecodiesel. I would gladly buy it again for trailering the TJ. I get about 15mpg while towing the jeep and 23mpg whenever it's unloaded.