What type of vehicle is needed to tow a Jeep?

27' Moho, 14' deck, 17' overall.
fullsizeoutput_a66.jpeg

For those that tow their Jeep on a trailer, what size trailer do you recommend to tow a Jeep tj? 14 ft? 16ft?
Ideally

I have a 16', it leaves enough room for some extra equipment, I can also get an ATV on there sideways.

I went around and around a few years back when we came out west about a truck for various applications... I went w/ a 1500 Silverado long bed with a max tow package. Gave me a brake controller, stiffer rear end, and I think larger brakes and trans cooler. Loaded up w/ gear, the TJ, and ATV I'm pulling about 8k. It's a comfortable ride on the highway and I've towed it confidently through canyons and up over mountains without any problems. It doesn't get going the fastest and my mileage goes from about 18-20 unladen down to around 11, so I stop for gas a bunch. But, I figured that I'm realistically only going to be pulling the Jeep 4 or 5 times a year so I couldn't justify the additional cost of a diesel to get around the rest of the year.

1565820540752.png

I have done both flat tow and trailer. I can tell a difference between the two, towing with the trailer adds a lot of weight. Now my trailer is from my company and used to haul a Kobota Backhoe so it may be a bit heaver than some others. It is also a LOT longer when towing with the trailer. Also if you do use a trailer, I reccomend getting a good quality set of straps and not some cheapo home depot ratchet straps to hold your $$$$ jeep in place. These Mac Straps are great.

IMG_4684 (1).jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4687 (1).jpg

IMG_4690.jpg

Iphone6 1490.JPG

Reactions: jazngab
Do metal decking and wood decking weigh about the same? I would think that with wood you would need more cross bracing than steel so it would be a wash weight wise.

I have done both flat tow and trailer. I can tell a difference between the two, towing with the trailer adds a lot of weight. Now my trailer is from my company and used to haul a Kobota Backhoe so it may be a bit heaver than some others. It is also a LOT longer when towing with the trailer. Also if you do use a trailer, I reccomend getting a good quality set of straps and not some cheapo home depot ratchet straps to hold your $$$$ jeep in place. These Mac Straps are great.

View attachment 110827

View attachment 110828

View attachment 110829

View attachment 110830

View attachment 110831

View attachment 110832
Do you prefer flat towing the Jeep or trailer? Do you think a trailer is worth the money?

Do you prefer flat towing the Jeep or trailer? Do you think a trailer is worth the money?
Honestly flat towing I felt was easier than the trailer. You are just towing a lot less weight. The disadvantage is flat towing you can’t back up. I use the trailer when I go with other Jeeps as it allows me tow home a broken down jeep and I can always have someone else flat tow mine. When
I do this i always take my tow bar setup as they all seam to mount a little different

For those that tow their Jeep on a trailer, what size trailer do you recommend to tow a Jeep tj? 14 ft? 16ft?
Ideally

In reality the trailer only needs to be long enough to put the jeep on and safely anchor it down. I have seen Jeeps on trailers that the bed was no longer than the Jeep itself. It all boils down to personal preference.

Reactions: alittleoff
I recently went back and forth on the same decision and opted for setting up to flat tow rather than a trailer based on a few things.

1. I have room to store a trailer but didn't want to bear the additional cost of replacing tires every 4ish years given
I'd only be towing the Jeep a couple of times per year and really don't have other uses for a trailer.

2. Not being able to back up sounds inconvenient, but when towing my RV or boat, I typically plan to avoid getting
into situations where I'll need to back up (other than launching the boat or setting the RV up in camp), so I'm
already in a mindset to avoid 'backup situations'.

3. In my area, a capable trailer was going to cost $2200+. I was able to put together my flat tow setup for under
1/3 of that (Ready Brake braking system $498 + used Blue Ox 6k lb tow bar from FB Marketplace $85 + safety
cables & magnetic lights from eTrailer $90 + hi/lo hitch riser off Amazon for $67).

Everyone's needs and preferences vary. I'd consider how often you plan to tow the Jeep, whether you would/could you use the trailer for other things, etc.
20190816_133930.jpg
etc.

Last edited:
I recently went back and forth on the same decision and opted for setting up to flat tow rather than a trailer based on a few things.

1. I have room to store a trailer but didn't want to bear the additional cost of replacing tires every 4ish years given
I'd only be towing the Jeep a couple of times per year and really don't have other uses for a trailer.

2. Not being able to back up sounds inconvenient, but when towing my RV or boat, I typically plan to avoid getting
into situations where I'll need to back up (other than launching the boat or setting the RV up in camp), so I'm
already in a mindset to avoid 'backup situations'.

3. In my area, a capable trailer was going to cost $2200+. I was able to put together my flat tow setup for under
1/3 of that (Ready Brake braking system $498 + used Blue Ox 6k lb tow bar from FB Marketplace $85 + safety
cables & magnetic lights from eTrailer $90 + hi/lo hitch riser off Amazon for $67).

Everyone's needs and preferences vary. I'd consider how often you plan to tow the Jeep, whether you would/could you use the trailer for other things, etc.View attachment 110948etc.
Why is your hitch so long ? I don't mean to get personal :)