What u-joints come on the TJ?

That literally is a 40 minute job including the R&R of the shaft. So even if they charge one hour at $120 and two joints it should still be under $200 out the door total.

Decided to just get the Tom Wood's double cardon shaft and adj control arms. Will do the install on my own once the weather begins to improve. 5.13 gears are still in the near future and THOSE will be put on by a qualified mechanic.

How do you remove the universal joint at the rear axle on a 2003 Rubicon? Mine has no clips to remove and has little apox 1/16”pins that look like they may be driven into them just by looking at them. Don’t want beat them out in case there is something I should know, these aren’t like any universal I’ve ever replaced.
Any help appreciated!!!

How do you remove the universal joint at the rear axle on a 2003 Rubicon? Mine has no clips to remove and has little apox 1/16”pins that look like they may be driven into them just by looking at them. Don’t want beat them out in case there is something I should know, these aren’t like any universal I’ve ever replaced.
Any help appreciated!!!

Heat ?
OM you just heat those up and they expand out.

Hoping Jerry might jump in, giving the price of a new shaft I need to be careful before reaching for a bigger hammer lol
My Rubi front shaft had nylon injection caps to hold it in place. Heating the joint with a torch causes the nylon to shoot out the little holes. I never messed with the rear, but it might be the same.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/prndls-green-one.55717/post-1185779
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ssue-what-am-i-missing-here.44356/post-749434

Reactions: Frank M
That one picture where you are heating the joint looks just like the end of the universal joint on the axle end of the rear drive shaft, that might just have answered my question.
So after it melts you just drive it out like a regular joint, makes sense now.
Thanks, the forum is great!

Reactions: PRNDL
There are actually seven u-joints on our TJs, two on the axle shafts and five on the front / rear driveshafts.

Two front axle shaft u-joints:
The factory u-joint on standard (non Rubicon models) is a Spicer 5-297. A highly recommended upgrade is the Spicer 5-760x u-joint which was specially designed for the Rubicon at Jeep's request.

Driveshaft u-joints:
The stock driveshaft u-joints are Spicer 1310. There are three u-joints up front and two in the rear. A highly recommended upgrade is the Spicer 5-1310x which is sealed, as well as a stronger and more durable directly replacement upgrade for the standard Spicer 1310 size u-joint.

Notes:
The TJ Rubicon uses different driveshaft u-joints and I'll have to recompile my list of those since they vary between 2003-2004 and 2005-2006 Rubicons. All years of the TJ Rubicon came standard with the Spicer 5-760x front axle shaft u-joints.

which one of these apply to me if I have a 2002 Tj sport

The TJ uses 1310 driveshaft u-joints but not the Rubicon which uses combination 1330—1310 u-joints.

But thanks for catching my typo where I mentioned the 5-760x at the last which has been corrected to show it is the u-joint for the Rubicon's front axle shafts.
So would the 5-760x work on my 2002 Tj sport, because amazon says its a confirmed fit