What u-joints come on the TJ?

The sealed/non-greasable version, the 5-1310x
What I mean is your Amazon link for the 5-1310x has two styles (like how Amazon lists different colors or sizes of product). One is non greaseable, the other is greaseable.

Looking closer I see that the greaseable one is a Spicer 5-1310-1X. Its zerk fitting is in the middle of one of the end caps so it doesn't look like it's taking away strength versus the 5-1310X (it isn't creating any stress risers in critical places).
41F+tc1x2NL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I'm assuming your advice still applies—greaseable isn't really needed for most cases? Do you think this greaseable version will require more frequent maintenance than the non greaseable version under the same circumstances? I like having the option of adding grease but not if it costs longevity when I forget to grease it.

Edit: I forgot that oil passages have to be drilled for the greaseable one. So it's not just a zerk fitting taking away strength.

Edit 2: I think I'm answering my own questions. A reviewer on Amazon said this about the greaseable vs non greaseable 1310: "They must be greased at regular intervals and do not have very good seals. If you don't grease them on time, they will fail pretty quickly. The permanently greased ones don't require this kind of maintenance and have double seals."

So it sounds like non greaseable is the way to go for me! And if I happen to begin fording rivers then I'll rethink it at that time.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok so all I'm seeing is greasable for the front shaft on my 2004 Rubicon .. which is not greasable unless you have a flexible grease gun and tiny hands or drop the skids ... current is non greasable .. can someone link me to non greasable u-joints please and thank you in advance

Ok so all I'm seeing is greasable for the front shaft on my 2004 Rubicon .. which is not greasable unless you have a flexible grease gun and tiny hands or drop the skids ... current is non greasable .. can someone link me to non greasable u-joints please and thank you in advance

What year is your Jeep? I found mine on rockauto

I haven't been able to verify this personally but these numbers seem to be correct for the SWB TJ 2005-2006 Rubicon rear driveshafts.

SWB TJ Rubicon T-Case end: 5-795x
SWB TJ Rubicon Pinion end: 5-793x
LWB LJ Unlimited Rubicon Transfer case end and Pinion end: 5-1310x.

These are all sealed which is the stronger and far more durable choice when compared to greasable.

The above are not correct for 2003-2004 which use different u-joints.
Hello, for an 06 Rubicon I am a bit confused with all the part numbers for the u-joints. Could you be kind enough to sum it up on which ones I need To replace all you joints?
Amazon links for these parts would be great if you have them.
Thanks

Hello, for an 06 Rubicon I am a bit confused with all the part numbers for the u-joints. Could you be kind enough to sum it up on which ones I need To replace all you joints?
Thanks
Here you go, your u-joints are highlighted in yellow. I am assuming from your avatar your Rubicon is the SWB version and not the Unlimited which has different rear driveshaft u-joints.

Rather than replace all mine this last time I just got new driveshafts from Tom Wood and Specified Spicer 5-1330x for all of them... which will sure make it easier the next time one is needed.

U-joint Diagram.JPG

Here you go, your u-joints are highlighted in yellow. I am assuming from your avatar your Rubicon is the SWB version and not the Unlimited which has different rear driveshaft u-joints.

Rather than replace all mine this last time I just got new driveshafts from Tom Wood and Specified Spicer 5-1330x for all of them... which will sure make it easier the next time one is needed.

View attachment 195592
What is the difference between a SWB and Unlimited?

Thanks
What is the difference between a SWB and Unlimited?
SWB is short wheelbase which is the standard TJ, the Unlimited has a long wheel base.

So I was looking at both the parts list and the Denny’s drive shaft list on this thread and noticed something peculiar.

On Denny’s It lists the u joints for a Rubicon front drive shaft (Labeled 2,3,4) as 5-793 for the front to the axle (2) and 5-1330 for the two in the cv to the transfer case (3,4)

when I look at the parts list it shows the u joint at the axle and the u joint at the transfer case as the same part number (labeled 16,21) as 5093 820AA while the one in the middle as a different 5903 377AA (labeled 20)

So my question is where does the one u joint that’s different go? These to resources seem to tell me different things.

4CBFD5C0-4B87-4006-8C4A-639DA7979F5F.jpeg

33A964D4-D0E6-4DC6-97F8-D519096FFCF1.png

PN for double cardan centering yoke:

1310:
211355x greaseable
211544x non greaseable

1330:
211179x greaseable
211996x non greaseable

Boot for non greaseable yoke:
2-86-418

You can use a greaseable yoke in place of a non grease but not vice versa.

I’m having a hell of a time replacing the u joints on my front drive shaft!
With my TJR it should be the 2 spicer 1330’s and one spicer 793x but I can’t seem to get the 793x to fit at the pinion yoke.
I’m beginning to wonder if the previous owner replaced it with another size...

the larger caps on the 793x seem to fit the ears on my driveshaft but the pinion side looks like the caps are too long. I am not able to get the caps to sit within the little tabs. I’ve tried 2 different spicer 793x’s to no avail.

Does anyone know how This could happen or help identify a u joint that would fit?
I’m trying to push the ears together to make it fit but it’s just too big.

Here’s a pic of my issue
8022963D-49E0-4876-94E0-17E7AEDD7453.jpeg
09A1E799-6AEE-49DE-A76B-D5784DA72E25.jpeg

Start with cleaning all that crud out of your yoke. Take the joint and put it in a vise and push the caps onto the cross. You should hear a couple of clicks when you do this. That would be the seals seating into place and should make life easier for you.

I haven't been able to verify this personally but these numbers seem to be correct for the SWB TJ 2005-2006 Rubicon rear driveshafts.

SWB TJ Rubicon T-Case end: 5-795x
SWB TJ Rubicon Pinion end: 5-793x
LWB LJ Unlimited Rubicon Transfer case end and Pinion end: 5-1310x.

These are all sealed which is the stronger and far more durable choice when compared to greasable.

The above are not correct for 2003-2004 which use different u-joints
So I have a 2003 rubicon and could you verify what sealed I would need? I took these photos of the axles not great but hopefully helps.
Thank you

05CA4DE8-4A4C-43CB-9DD7-8514EF28619A.jpeg

A9292F28-1BFF-4678-8B38-034705EAB2A0.jpeg

Sorry my question didn’t show up correctly. Have a 2003 rubicon and want to replace the ujoints. Non grease able
Thanx for the help.

image.jpg

image.jpg

@PRINDI Here's your information for your stock factory 2003-2004 Rubicon driveshafts. Everyone be aware the below information is incorrect/different for 2004-2005 Rubicons.

Front driveshaft 2003 Rubicon: Spicer 5-1330X for the CV joint at the rear which needs two of the 1330x u-joints. For the front u-joint on the front driveshaft Spicer 5-793X

Rear driveshaft 2003 Rubicon: Front u-joint nearest tcase: Spicer 5-795X. Rear u-joint closest to the rear axle. Spicer 5-793X.