What was removed?

Brad W

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is this why I have a p0455? Lol

20190110_113432.jpg

That's a 2003-4 and at least in 2004, nothing was there. I moved my Rubicon locker compressors mounted there. If you mean that big hole, that's an access hole so you can get a socket down onto the nut at the top of the shock absorber.

That's a 2003-4 and at least in 2004, nothing was there. I moved my Rubicon locker compressors mounted there. If you mean that big hole, that's an access hole so you can get a socket down onto the nut at the top of the shock absorber.

So would the evap system be located somewhere else? I want to get rid of this code. Its the last one I have left.

So would the evap system be located somewhere else? I want to get rid of this code. Its the last one I have left.
Your evap system is located inside the rear passenger-side corner, behind the tail light. Is your P0455 code a regular thing or did it happen just once? If it was just once, could the engine have been started with the gas cap off? That will cause that code.

Your evap system is located inside the rear passenger-side corner, behind the tail light. Is your P0455 code a regular thing or did it happen just once? If it was just once, could the engine have been started with the gas cap off? That will cause that code.

It came back after reset of the battery. I will check it out after work. It's a warm 40 here today:).

The charcoal canister and pump should be buried in the rear passenger corner.

However, one common place for a split hose is the pair of fuel vapor lines that pass near the mini cats.

The charcoal canister and pump should be buried in the rear passenger corner.

However, one common place for a split hose is the pair of fuel vapor lines that pass near the mini cats.

yeah the plan is to follow the hose as best I can then start looking for replacements. Better yet, I should get a understanding how the complete system works.

I have seen some type of fogging machine used on the Volvo evap system we used to have. Worked pretty slick. Pressurized the system and them when the fogger is started, the fog is forced out through any leaks in the system. The Volvo's evap system is pretty intricate and hard to diagnose. As simple as the system is in a TJ, should be an easy job. Might be able to "rent" or borrow one from Advance or OReilly's. Not sure....

Last edited:
I've never seen the evap system mounted on the bumper. When did they do that? ;) Maybe in front of the tail light?
that is the special "easy to fix" version.....

yeah the plan is to follow the hose as best I can then start looking for replacements. Better yet, I should get a understanding how the complete system works.

I have attached 7 pages form the 2004 TJ Service Manual for your reading pleasure, it helped me as I was not familer with the operation of a Leak Detection Pump type system.

Attachments

• 2004 TJ SHOP MANUAL-EVAP SECTION.pdf
    225.5 KB · Views: 167
I've never seen the evap system mounted on the bumper. When did they do that? ;) Maybe in front of the tail light?
Well you got me though when I'm facing the rear tail light, it's behind it. When you go to the rear door of your house and someone is on the other side of that door to unlock it for you, is that person standing behind that door or in front of it? :thinking:

Reactions: TheGanzman
I purchased an 80 dollar smoker from Amazon, worked great and I found my cracked hose just about as soon as I hooked up the smoke machine, I heard the air leak before I saw the smoke. I ended up with a cracked hose from the charcoal canister.
If you don't have an EVAP test smoke machine, another way is to disconnect the flexiable line from the purge valve to the tank (the one located under the driver foot well), plug the charcoal canister vent and blow thru the line toward the fuel tank and listen for an air leak, a friend can help with this. If you cannot blow thru the system in that direction, switch and blow toward the engine, this will test the purge valve and associated tubing and flexible hoses

Well you got me though when I'm facing the rear tail light, it's behind it. When you go to the rear door of your house and someone is on the other side of that door to unlock it for you, is that person standing behind that door or in front of it? :thinking:
Since we are dealing with automobiles, typically the front is the part that is in front of the driver, also the same end the head lights are on. The back is the other end. The left side is the one that is on the same side as the little blinky lights are when you put the turn signal on to turn left.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford