What is the reasoning for factory side steps?

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
Putting side steps on a stock height TJ with 15,s? are they just for show? I have never stepped on mine once! I actually only step over them lol

My children and a couple women I’ve dated used them. I only ever put my heel on the forward edge of them when driving with the doors off. Otherwise I always stepped over them as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1o1proof
I’m lifted 3 1/2 inches and my wife who’s 4’11”’ can barely get in, guess I need to try higher!!! Just kidding but seriously anybody know of good pedal extensions she loves to drive but the chunks of 2 by 4 put her up against the airbag? Thanks

I’m lifted 3 1/2 inches and my wife who’s 4’11”’ can barely get in, guess I need to try higher!!! Just kidding but seriously anybody know of good pedal extensions she loves to drive but the chunks of 2 by 4 put her up against the airbag? Thanks

First thing I removed hate the look of sidesteps especially the stock ones.
My best guess is they're for side impact crash saftey.

Could consider a stirrup step for her? I've read mixed feelings on them.
Just a thought.
I showed her the stirrup steps and she was not impressed, she likes the factory skateboards but I'm tired of stepping over an extra 6" of plastic to get in

Reactions: Vasq
My not short wife always wanted some on my TJ. "Some day honey."<LIE

When we bought her JK last summer she talked the dealer into putting a new set of factory running boards on. It hasn't been out in the rain very often and never in the snow salt slush but this spring I'm hoping she realizes how wet and dirty her legs get from rubbing on them while getting out.

As someone who REPLACED the stock side steps that were MIA when I bought my 2004 Columbia Edition, I can tell you ONE important function of them - they keep the stone chips off of the fronts of your rear fender flares from stones that are kicked up from your front tires. I had to get my (otherwise PERFECT) Dark Graphite Metallic factory-painted fender flares repainted due to about a bubillion stone chips on the fronts of my rear flares. I was initially perplexed at how they got there, then figgered it out. I much prefer the look and functionality WITHOUT them, but I'd rather not have stone chips on my beautifully-painted flares! Those of you with Sahara flares might want to keep your stock side steps for the same reason...

Reactions: Fishtaco
I showed her the stirrup steps and she was not impressed, she likes the factory skateboards but I'm tired of stepping over an extra 6" of plastic to get in
compromise with her and get a $2300 set of Rockslide Engineering step sliders 🤑

Reactions: PCO6