What was your costliest mistake?

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
Be it a poor decision while wheeling or a crappy product: what was your costliest mistake?

I ended up replacing a swing-out tire carrier because the thing wouldn't stop rattling no matter what the hell I did. It's still sitting in a corner of my garage.

Letting the shop put 4.56 gears in during stage one of my build. Assumed they were going to install 4.88. Sort of worked our later, gave me a reason to go to 5.13.

Be it a poor decision while wheeling or a crappy product: what was your costliest mistake?

I ended up replacing a swing-out tire carrier because the thing wouldn't stop rattling no matter what the hell I did. It's still sitting in a corner of my garage.
What brand? Want to sell it possibly?

Most costly mistake for me happened twice... Got married and ended up loosing my first Jeep thanks to a divorce, Second time I got married, she decided a we needed to buy a new house. 4 kids 2 adults 3 dogs and 3 vehicle payments.... I chose the house and sold the Jeep... Now that I'm single again, never again is all I have to say now that I have my 3rd Jeep.
Jeep or Woman? JEEP!!!

Last edited:
Cutting my hood for a highline. I f'd up the first one. Found another red hood in Grand Junction and had to have it because I couldnt find one local. I rented a truck ($100 for the day), I drove 250+ miles and 4 hours one way to pick it up, paid the guy $125, and drove back (probably close to $100 in fuel). An all day affair, $325 out of my pocket, only to cut it up soon as I got home.

Or the smittybilt bumper/carrier. I want to say I paid $600 for it when I first got my jeep. I plan on removing it very soon for a smaller and more functional bumper, with the exogate carrier.

We were in bed watching Hulu (yeah we Hulu and hang) she was spooning me and it slipped. I may or may not have shat on her leg... This was 3 days ago and she has yet to talk to me.
Damn!!! Women forgive a lot from us men.. farting, belching, etc; But man🤮... You might be in for some MAJOR sucking up to gain forgiveness for that transgression!!

The first pair of bumpers/swing out carrier. They were big and heavy. The swing out could have been very costly, but I noticed the spare tire bouncing around more than it normally did. That was when I discovered the huge crack around the tire mount.

crappy product: hundreds of pounds of steel bumpers and sliders

Flat towing up to a snow run. Was going real slow into a turn to the parking lot but the Jeep still pushed the Jeep and jackknifed and the bumper of the Jeep went into my bed of my truck. I started rebuilding my dads old Jeep trailer that next week and bought my own within a year. I will not flat tow anymore. Trailers with breaks work sooooo much better.

Reactions: Trailking
I trusted a shop I shouldn’t have to do the first inspection when I first bought my TJ. New front control arms, rear uppers, and shocks for $1700. I could have done a large majority of my mods for that.

Reactions: Web98
Very first purchase I made for the TJ was a Dana 44. Couldn't find a private seller anywhere, so I bought the only one I could locate from a well known 4X4 wrecking yard in my area. Out the door price: $1,906. Man, what an idiot I was! Within a few months, I purchased two more from private sellers at "I stole it" prices. That helped lessen the sting somewhat, though I still live with the shame... 😞