What was your costliest mistake?

Fell for a fraudulent email on my land closing in PA and wired $19K away. I really think the title closing company got hacked as they every bit of info on the deal. Bottom line, I jumped at something to try and expedite the deal so we could start building...would have been a nice Rubicon to stash at the house too.

1. Not evaluating the TJ wisely ...assumed low mileage cured all ills . Which led to mistake number-

2. Paying too much considering it needed a new lift , tires, and a lot of freshening up ...which led to ....

3. Attempting to offset my mistakes by regearing it myself , which led to doing it twice.

All education cost money .

To sum it up , if I had gotten on here and learned what was going on , and looked at a few and understood a little more what to look for , It likely all would have gone smoother . Not only in cost of money , but time , aggravation , lost enjoyment/downtime , running it to the shop and back, waiting on parts and all the figuring out , etc....any of that sound familiar?

This netted out to a TJ I have spent a lot of time/money on , but it doesn’t hold a candle to some of the better built ones on here ...I enjoy it , but at the same time , I know it isn’t the be all of nice Rubicons. That’s ok , I may do a nice automatic in a year or two ...and I’ll use what I have learned .

Last edited:
1. Not evaluating the TJ wisely ...assumed low mileage cured all ills . Which led to mistake number-

2. Paying too much considering it needed a new lift , tires, and a lot of freshening up ...which led to ....

3. Attempting to offset my mistakes by regearing it myself , which led to doing it twice.

All education cost money .

To sum it up , if I had gotten on here and learned what was going on , and looked at a few and understood a little more what to look for , It likely all would have gone smoother . Not only in cost of money , but time , aggravation , lost enjoyment/downtime , running it to the shop and back, waiting on parts and all the figuring out , etc....any of that sound familiar?

This netted out to a TJ I have spent a lot of time/money on , but it doesn’t hold a candle to some of the better built ones on here ...I enjoy it , but at the same time , I know it isn’t the be all of nice Rubicons. That’s ok , I may do a nice automatic in a year or two ...and I’ll use what I have learned .

I hear you brother. In hindsight I think I would have asked someone more familiar with TJs to go with me to look at “ the one”.
At this point I would be willing to help someone out in this way. I’m no expert but I know a lot more now than I did before I bought mine.

I hear you brother. In hindsight I think I would have asked someone more familiar with TJs to go with me to look at “ the one”.
At this point I would be willing to help someone out in this way. I’m no expert but I know a lot more now than I did before I bought mine.
X2 . All the way.

Reactions: Allstar424 and Vasq
Winch cable eyelet didn’t fit my battery lug thing so I thought I’d make it bigger. Drill plus eyelet thing = $1100 hole.

2D30E0E3-E715-40A0-BAA6-062A1B12D90A.jpeg

Before the TJ I had a F250. Lost the AC and drove it for 6 years, in TX, braving 100* heat every summer. Finally sold it and bought a TJ with AC. It was so nice for 6 months. Drove it for a year and another 100* summer. Got fed up with it. My mechanic said it was the compressor. He replaced it and for 3 days I had great AC. Long story short, $600 later I still have no AC. I decided to move to WA state. Now I don’t need AC, but I could sure use the $600 for some CA’s.

That’s a good shating story.
That definitely could top the list for costly.... As in everything you have.

I can't stop laughing .

Reminds me of the guy confessing his sins at the altar , and one after the other the preacher would say
"Tell it brother !"

Then he mentioned something with a farm animal , and the preacher said "I don't think I'd of told that "

That definitely could top the list for costly.... As in everything you have.

I can't stop laughing .

Reminds me of the guy confessing his sins at the altar , and one after the other the preacher would say
"Tell it brother !"

Then he mentioned something with a farm animal , and the preacher said "I don't think I'd of told that "
Ask him about catching flies barehanded

• Wow
Reactions: Thunderhead
Fell for a fraudulent email on my land closing in PA and wired $19K away. I really think the title closing company got hacked as they every bit of info on the deal. Bottom line, I jumped at something to try and expedite the deal so we could start building...would have been a nice Rubicon to stash at the house too.
Bless your heart pal , that is awful .
Man .

I get approached by scam texts in my construction company constantly .

They want to do some type of deal and use a credit card . Always the same . And have horrible grammar.

I always respond the same -

"Ok , I 'll go ahead and turn your number over to the fraud division at our local police department , to protect you from any chance of getting your secure information in the wrong hands , let me get the ball rolling ."

Bought a complete new set of seat belts from Morris 4x4. These were made by Seatbelt Solutions. A nightmare to say the least. The rear belts hung a foot slack, would not tension up. The front belts are an engineering nightmare of very poor design.
I test fit the rears and didn't even try the fronts. When I received them I noticed a small tear in the plastic guard on the rear belt. I didn't think it was all that important. UNTIL I RETURNED THEM. Morris refused to refund my full purchase. Out of $309.97 they refunded $134.99, for the front pair and told me to pay to have them shipped back to me. Lesson learned, don't buy anything from those crooks, ever again.

Ruining, and having to replace a $1000 set of wheels on my Magnum 1 day after buying them by using a wheel and tire cleaner that was "safe for all wheels"...except for painted wheels and polished lips like mine, written in tiny print on the back label.

I still have the wheels, and got 3 looking pretty good, and just have to get the time to finish the 4th. I'll sell them with full disclosure at a good discount. They technically were only used for 1 day. The wheels are Boss 338's in gunmetal grey.

• Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney