What will look better on my TJ, a stubby bumper or a full bumper?

I'm curious: does the rear bumper have different ends also?
Not sure but here's a picture
jeep water 5.jpg

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Dorman says NO... we do not make them

Mopar in us says..... sorry we only deal with US models.. have no clue where to send you next (aka plays stupid)

mopar UK... waiting on response.

Last edited:
way it turning out; looks to me.... if you have a large gap between top of bumper and lowest spot on your fenders you have basically two choices.. FILL the gap orrr..... pretty much just open it all the way up (aka stubby bumper). That's just how the human eye wants it to be. Long vertical thick line (vertical line formed by eye of fender + front of tire ) is just more pleasing to the eye than the short horizontal thick line formed by the gap created between outer edge of full bumper and fender/flare up above it.

Fill the gap is likely better when it comes to mud / salt spray to limit damage to components in surrounding area and limit the area(s) you have to constantly pay attention too when it comes to cleaning/maintenance/derusting and painting.... but to the human eye.... this gap filler is likely to look horrible cause the gap filler just looks "out of place".

hoping the JK bumper I put on mine to fill this gap will look as minimally horrible as I can make it. Am assuming the bumper looks more like it belongs there thus will not look so "out of place". I live in the rust belt. Trying to contain salt spray as best as possible.

Other projects take priority right now though so it will be a while till I can do this.

Plan thus far is:
. TJ bumper trimmed/stubbied mounted per usual

. then mount a second trimmed TJ bumper and winch mount plate INSIDE the front JK bumper (typical way folk mount JK bumpers on a TJ)
..... the winch mount plate will add strength to the whole thing

. mount this modified setup ON TOP of the first bumper... bolted on same way you would winch mount
..... This puts winch mount plate in normal TJ orientation
..... yes will have to cut open the top of JK bumper to fit around winch... done often on JK's anyway
..... this puts the JK bumper up high enough to clear the 35" tires (35's wont clear if installed like others put JK's on a TJ)
..... this tucks the top of the JK bumper right up to the bottom of the TJ fenders and flares..... filling the gap. (3" body lift is on this one)
..... To finish it off hoping the JK air dam modified to fit below JK bumper will sorta hide the lower TJ bumper.

bonus... JK front bumper and air dam was free

Last edited: