What winch?

rjinaz86323

Grasslands of Arizona
Supporting Member
Friend of mine just ordered a 2021 Wrangler V6 auto 2 door. Bought about every option they have. Asked me what winch would be best for him. I said Warn, but wasn't sure about the various models. He will do difficult and less trails only. No serious rock crawling. What would be a good model for him. thx

8,000 lb. capacity up to no more than 10.5k is all that's needed. I personally like 9,000 to 9,500, they require less battery power at the same load an 8,000 lb. winch does.

https://www.warn.com/products-8000-10000-lbs-winches gives a good selection.

I'd pick nearly any of them though I personally would rather have something other than one of their VR winches which are imported from China. The VR series is good quality but I'd rather my $$$ be given to an American production line worker.

somewhere between this
Winch small.JPG

and this
winch big.JPG

I am not a winch expert and i have been drinking

Based on facebook jeep clubs, I would say the goto JK/JL winch is anything Harbor Freight sells.

I have heard those are decent for an inexpensive winch. If it's not going to be used that much, give it a try. Just make sure your friends have a winch too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebuild
Friend of mine just ordered a 2021 Wrangler V6 auto 2 door. Bought about every option they have. Asked me what winch would be best for him. I said Warn, but wasn't sure about the various models. He will do difficult and less trails only. No serious rock crawling. What would be a good model for him. thx
I also have the 2018 JLU Sahara. I bought an X-Bull 13K lbs winch off Amazon. The problem is... the controller on top sits about a micron away from the grill. No biggie except the cables come out the back. SO I found the Warn anniversay Mopar winch on Amazon for about $300 cheaper than Mopar. SO I am going to install it on the JLU Sahara and the X-Bull on the TJ Sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I put an Engo 10S on the JK a couple years ago. Have used it once since I put it on. I have a buddy that bought the same winch and he's used his once as well. Both times was to help others that were stuck. I'm currently trying to decide on bumper and winch combo on the TJ. For the trails we typically run, it's hard for me to justify the extra cost of a Warn, so I keep going back and forth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NC0F5GT/?tag=wranglerorg-20