What would the symptoms of a bad clock spring be?

Goblin

Being vague is better than this other thing
Supporting Member
My airbag light started turning on and off while driving (specially when turning) a while ago until it finally stayed on...has not turned off since. Also, my horn is dead and wipers do not work. Don't think the wipers are related but curious to know what else is affected by a bad clock spring.

Those all sound like symptoms of a bad clock spring to me. On my old XJ I had the same exact issues and it turned out to be the clock spring.

Airbag light came on, horn stopped working, and wipers stopped as well

Reactions: Goblin
A bad clock spring can affect the horn, the air bag, cruise control, steering wheel mounted radio controls, and it can even affect the TPS (throttle position sensor) by it sending electrical noise spikes down the wiring.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Goblin
Dang...well my blinkers still work[emoji1360]
That's because the turn signal switch is not mounted on the steering wheel, it's mounted on the steering column. The clockspring's function is to connect all the items mounted on the rotating steering wheel so their electrical connections won't break when the steering wheel is rotated. It is called a clockspring since the wiring is manufactured in a coiled clockspring shape.

Make 100% sure if you get a used clock spring, that it doesn't come from a vehicle that was in a front end impact or had the airbags go off.

I say that because the clock spring is rendered useless at that point (once the airbags deploy). I learned this in my research when I was replacing my clock spring on my XJ.

Make 100% sure if you get a used clock spring, that it doesn't come from a vehicle that was in a front end impact or had the airbags go off.

I say that because the clock spring is rendered useless at that point (once the airbags deploy). I learned this in my research when I was replacing my clock spring on my XJ.

Good to know, thanks!

Reactions: Chris
I have been in the collision industry for 30 + years. Please don't install a used clockspring. The money you save isn't worth the drama it can cause. Do yourself a huge favor and by a New OEM and make sure the battery is disconnected for at least 5 minutes before you dig into the job.

I have been in the collision industry for 30 + years. Please don't install a used clockspring. The money you save isn't worth the drama it can cause. Do yourself a huge favor and by a New OEM and make sure the battery is disconnected for at least 5 minutes before you dig into the job.
Please elaborate on this. Why spend extra on new oem, when there are perfectly good used parts out there? Maybe everyone doesn't have tons of money to throw at brand new oem. Maybe they are just budget savvy and don't want to shell out for new. The only drama resulting in installing a possible bad one, is that you have to do it again. Every single part on your vehicle is used. When installed and handled properly, a used clock spring is just fine. I do agree on the disconnect the battery though.

Reactions: Frankm and Ryan
Please elaborate on this. Why spend extra on new oem, when there are perfectly good used parts out there? Maybe everyone doesn't have tons of money to throw at brand new oem. Maybe they are just budget savvy and don't want to shell out for new. The only drama resulting in installing a possible bad one, is that you have to do it again. Every single part on your vehicle is used. When installed and handled properly, a used clock spring is just fine. I do agree on the disconnect the battery though.

Well let's see, where do I start. Since no one knows the history of the clock spring let's start with moisture. How many cars do you see in a salvage yard with the windows down? Can you be 100% positive there is no corrosion inside the spring? Since it's somewhat sealed the only way to know for sure is to pop it open and then it's junk.

From there let's say the entire column was pulled by the yard and put on a shelf. The clock spring is designed to have approximately 3-4 turns from lock to lock. When the shaft was pulled did the 17 year old kid turn the wheel 4 1/2 times? Maybe the coil didn't break but did it stretch enough that now a horn power feed as touching the power to the airbag ignighter?

That air bag is a hell of a lot more expensive than that clock spring. The collision industry is a billion dollar industry and insurance companies look for any possible way to save money on repairs since they are writing checked just about every second of the day. If they can save $$$ on anything trust me they will. They won't use any used airbags or any component.

Last but not least as a Technical Trainer for a collision company that repairs about 38,000 cars a month, yes 38,000 a month, I see many cars that the OEM comes out to investigate because the car was in a collision and the bags didn't deploy when they should have and someone was either killed or severely injured because of it. Is the used clock spring coming off a car the bags should have deployed on? Can anyone say that for sure?

I don't know about you but all the money most of us spend on these things an extra $100.00 or so to have peace of mind that that bag is going to go off when it's supposed to is worth it. Or better yet, that is doesn't go off when it's NOT supposed to.

Well let's see, where do I start. Since no one knows the history of the clock spring let's start with moisture. How many cars do you see in a salvage yard with the windows down? Can you be 100% positive there is no corrosion inside the spring? Since it's somewhat sealed the only way to know for sure is to pop it open and then it's junk.

From there let's say the entire column was pulled by the yard and put on a shelf. The clock spring is designed to have approximately 3-4 turns from lock to lock. When the shaft was pulled did the 17 year old kid turn the wheel 4 1/2 times? Maybe the coil didn't break but did it stretch enough that now a horn power feed as touching the power to the airbag ignighter?

That air bag is a hell of a lot more expensive than that clock spring. The collision industry is a billion dollar industry and insurance companies look for any possible way to save money on repairs since they are writing checked just about every second of the day. If they can save $$$ on anything trust me they will. They won't use any used airbags or any component.

Last but not least as a Technical Trainer for a collision company that repairs about 38,000 cars a month, yes 38,000 a month, I see many cars that the OEM comes out to investigate because the car was in a collision and the bags didn't deploy when they should have and someone was either killed or severely injured because of it. Is the used clock spring coming off a car the bags should have deployed on? Can anyone say that for sure?

I don't know about you but all the money most of us spend on these things an extra $100.00 or so to have peace of mind that that bag is going to go off when it's supposed to is worth it. Or better yet, that is doesn't go off when it's NOT supposed to.

Thank you I can see where you are coming from now, I was giving wrecking yards maybe too much credit, that's where the handled properly comes in. Also, I can see why a business or insurance would not want to install a used one.

Another question though, any reason not to use an aftermarket one? My 06 happens to need one, and the oem is $215, vs $135 for crown, $150 for dorman, $170 for airtex/wells. Are the aftermarket ones unsafe, or just may fail sooner than later?

Thank you I can see where you are coming from now, I was giving wrecking yards maybe too much credit, that's where the handled properly comes in. Also, I can see why a business or insurance would not want to install a used one.

Another question though, any reason not to use an aftermarket one? My 06 happens to need one, and the oem is $215, vs $135 for crown, $150 for dorman, $170 for airtex/wells. Are the aftermarket ones unsafe, or just may fail sooner than later?

I have never used any aftermarket airbag component. I know if it was my jeep or one of my other cars or anyone I know I wouldn't use it. Airbag deployment is timed in milliseconds. If a bag deploys a millisecond early it's the difference between saving someone's life or snapping their neck. If you Google bad airbag timing there is a video with a watermelon that shows an airbag exploding the watermelon because the timing was a millisecond off.

Picture that someone's head.

Hi. Thanks for you information. I have a 2005 JGC clock spring indicator is stopping me from getting a inspection sticker (MA) I've contacted every dealer and parts department no one sells
(68241522AC) the part any longer and molar isn't manufacturing it any longer. Any idea what I can do? The car is 95% perfect otherwise. I am at a loss.

I've used the Dorman one several times and they work just fine. I do agree buy it new!.

Hi. Thanks for you information. I have a 2005 JGC clock spring indicator is stopping me from getting a inspection sticker (MA) I've contacted every dealer and parts department no one sells
(68241522AC) the part any longer and molar isn't manufacturing it any longer. Any idea what I can do? The car is 95% perfect otherwise. I am at a loss.
Where I live we have it where if you have a problem with your car and you can’t fix it due to the cost or availability you can pay to have that problem waived. I would look into that at the tag office