What would the symptoms of a bad clock spring be?

Well let's see, where do I start. Since no one knows the history of the clock spring let's start with moisture. How many cars do you see in a salvage yard with the windows down? Can you be 100% positive there is no corrosion inside the spring? Since it's somewhat sealed the only way to know for sure is to pop it open and then it's junk.

From there let's say the entire column was pulled by the yard and put on a shelf. The clock spring is designed to have approximately 3-4 turns from lock to lock. When the shaft was pulled did the 17 year old kid turn the wheel 4 1/2 times? Maybe the coil didn't break but did it stretch enough that now a horn power feed as touching the power to the airbag ignighter?

That air bag is a hell of a lot more expensive than that clock spring. The collision industry is a billion dollar industry and insurance companies look for any possible way to save money on repairs since they are writing checked just about every second of the day. If they can save $$$ on anything trust me they will. They won't use any used airbags or any component.

Last but not least as a Technical Trainer for a collision company that repairs about 38,000 cars a month, yes 38,000 a month, I see many cars that the OEM comes out to investigate because the car was in a collision and the bags didn't deploy when they should have and someone was either killed or severely injured because of it. Is the used clock spring coming off a car the bags should have deployed on? Can anyone say that for sure?

I don't know about you but all the money most of us spend on these things an extra $100.00 or so to have peace of mind that that bag is going to go off when it's supposed to is worth it. Or better yet, that is doesn't go off when it's NOT supposed to.
I just got my 2015 Sahara back after a car side swiped me on drivers side. Both door and both fenders replaced. I’ve had it back a week. Last night I blew the horn and suddenly my air bag light came on. Today I found out the clock spring is bad, would this be related to the collision. Btw The air bags did not go off during the collision. Thanks for advice on collecting from insurance on this repair.

A bad clock spring can affect the horn, the air bag, cruise control, steering wheel mounted radio controls, and it can even affect the TPS (throttle position sensor) by it sending electrical noise spikes down the wiring.
I can attest to this. My 98 had airbag and check engine light on. Code was for a bad TPS. I changed TPS... nothing, changed the TPS connector... still broke (both of these were about half of the cost of the clock spring), changed the clock spring and boom everything worked again! Your comment helped me with process of elimination, thanks so much.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Will a faulty clock spring cause an intermittent no crank problem? I have no cover on my 02 Wrangler for the column. I've replaced that aluminum pin that feeds into the ignition switch 4 or 5 years ago and never put it back on. I got stuck in a CVS drive through after I shut off the vehicle. Turns out the connector that plugs into the bottom of the clock spring came out. Plugged it back in and the Jeep fired right up. Went to fill up with gas a week later and again wont crank. Looked and made sure all the connections were good and didn't come out. Still didn't crank. Called tow truck and had them drop the Jeep in my driveway. After he unhooked the Jeep I reached in and it started right up. I just replaced the ignition switch today for shits and giggles. But could my clock spring be the culprit?

Mine was doing that and it turned out to be the main wire connector under the hood in the middle. The clips that hold it together had gotten brittle and broke then the plug separated just enough to cause intermittent no crank. Found it by chance but just zip tied them together.
Not saying that's your problem but definitely worth a look

Mine was doing that and it turned out to be the main wire connector under the hood in the middle. The clips that hold it together had gotten brittle and broke then the plug separated just enough to cause intermittent no crank. Found it by chance but just zip tied them together.
Not saying that's your problem but definitely worth a look
The main wire connector to what? The starter?

No the wire harness that runs along the top of the firewall has large connector in the middle.

No the wire harness that runs along the top of the firewall has large connector in the middle.
I found the problem. Because it didn't start when the tow truck dropped it off this time I was able to trouble shoot the problem. I have 12 volts going down to the starter and 12 volts to the solenoid in the crank position with no crank. Hence, bad starter. Replaced and problem solved.

Seems pretty unlikely. About the only possibility I can think of is if it was somehow shorting the bus to ground but that does seem unlikely.

Thanks for the quick reply. The only reason I asked you this question is because you mentioned in this thread that it could effect the Jeeps TPS, and I wasn't sure how.

Those all sound like symptoms of a bad clock spring to me. On my old XJ I had the same exact issues and it turned out to be the clock spring.

Airbag light came on, horn stopped working, and wipers stopped as well

Did you know there was a recall on jeep clockspring...they extended warranty 15 Yeats on it

Reactions: Chris
Hello! I have a 2003 Sahara and a question about the symptoms. I've read that a bad clock spring can cause all the steering wheel control symptoms, but what about the windshield wipers/washer? My horn, wipers/washer will not work. Everything else is normal. I can't find any blown fuses. Am getting ready to check to see if the horn and washer terminals have power and will update shortly. I realize the washer/wiper lever is on the column, but just wanted to ask while I was browsing.
Thanks in Advance!!
What

Sounds like the multifunction switch (or the power connector). But with the horn it could be the clock spring. Common denominator is grounds and wiring.

-Mac

Sounds like the multifunction switch (or the power connector). But with the horn it could be the clock spring. Common denominator is grounds and wiring.

-Mac

I just took the steering column covers off and found my problem! It was the large multifunction connector that had come loose. Thank God it was something so simple. Funny how we always start thinking its more involved than it really is. I guess that reinforces the idea that its good to just check the wiring/connections first before beginning to tear everything apart!
Good Call MacleanFlood. I can now put my jeep back together again.
Thanks!!

Reactions: macleanflood