What would it take to run 37 inch tires?

Thanks @JMT .

I have been always dreaming about jeeps since my childhood and finally got one. I’m not mechanically inclined so I have been doing cosmetic things myself.

I have been reading and learning and opening and breaking every part I could and it’s always fun!

I want to use her more than I’m currently using and of course I want her to be safe.

the parts are available in variety of range and there are so many YouTube. All Jeep owners are very helpful and really happy to share their journey.

i do want to go on a road trip, I have seen events organized for off road experience. I’m not aware where to register and need to check more. That definitely sounds fun!

I don’t think I ever got attached to any vehicle I ever owned :)

Reactions: JMT
Thanks @JMT .

I have been always dreaming about jeeps since my childhood and finally got one. I’m not mechanically inclined so I have been doing cosmetic things myself.

I have been reading and learning and opening and breaking every part I could and it’s always fun!

I want to use her more than I’m currently using and of course I want her to be safe.

the parts are available in variety of range and there are so many YouTube. All Jeep owners are very helpful and really happy to share their journey.

i do want to go on a road trip, I have seen events organized for off road experience. I’m not aware where to register and need to check more. That definitely sounds fun!

I don’t think I ever got attached to any vehicle I ever owned :)
Being from Virginia you have a fantastic trail system up there. The Hatfield and McCoy trails system hundreds of miles of trails.

You will really wish you didn’t. I’m on 37”s but my Tj is stretched 5.5”s in the rear so far and another3” up front happening in the next month. I also have aftermarket HP Dana 44 front and HP Dana 60 rear axles, 5.13 gears and lockers, an Atlas 4 speed t case etc etc etc. honestly the 5.13 gear ratio is not bad for driving daily. And I live innCO at altitude. I can easily get it up to 80 although I typically drive it around 65-70 tops on the road. I’m sure 5.38’s would be fun but not worth the cost at this point. I have the AX 15 trans for now but will soon have one of two auto’s I’ve sourced. Just have not decided whatcha to keep and go with yet. But having done it I’d say stick to 35”s or less. Especially if on a Dana 30/Dana 35 combo and only for the street. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: RonnieS
He is my advice -

Right now it’s a daily for you. Do a 2” lift build set up for 31/32’s. Drive it. Enjoy it. Check local Facebook 4wd clubs etc... and find a beginner trail ride event. Go learn the basics of off roading. Get hooked on it. Spend hours a day reading and wondering and dreaming of this and that. Immediately think you want 40s / tons/cool kids stuff. Realize how expensive it is. Save you’re money. Buy a one ton rig for 30% of build cost because a guy is tired of it. Park it in the garage next to your 32” tire TJ you still daily. Enjoy it.

First half I was serious. Second half, mostly still serious. You’ve gotten some good advice here. Glad to see you are soaking it in well🙂

Reactions: mots
He is my advice -

Right now it’s a daily for you. Do a 2” lift build set up for 31/32’s. Drive it. Enjoy it. Check local Facebook 4wd clubs etc... and find a beginner trail ride event. Go learn the basics of off roading. Get hooked on it. Spend hours a day reading and wondering and dreaming of this and that. Immediately think you want 40s / tons/cool kids stuff. Realize how expensive it is. Save you’re money. Buy a one ton rig for 30% of build cost because a guy is tired of it. Park it in the garage next to your 32” tire TJ you still daily. Enjoy it.

First half I was serious. Second half, mostly still serious. You’ve gotten some good advice here. Glad to see you are soaking it in well🙂
This is my mantra. Always cheaper to buy than build.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Ive been building my rig since 2014, I just recently completed what I believe takes to run 35s correctly. Gears being the last item I checked. Its fun endeavor, but its not cheap. Keep your 33s, build it up in the meantime, and get 35s when every other box is checked. I went everywhere on 33s that my friends on 35s did.

cost is relative to how much you can do. and how much you have to buy to bolt in.

a rear axle could cost you 5-6K to buy or 2.5k to build.

Well, duh. It’s always cheaper to buy than build, but building it right and getting that pleasure is priceless.
Another way to look at it is of had already put together a very nice package and then something happens to it I will assure you I am not building this second one near as much as the yellow one.

• Sad
Another way to look at it is of had already put together a very nice package and then something happens to it I will assure you I am not building this second one near as much as the yellow one.
I'm still sad about your yellow rig. I was thinking of you the other day because I had to send in the Adam's driveshaft you sold me. It was just a UJoint, and it's on its way home now. Can't wait to get it back on so I can get out in the Jeep.

How are you like your new rig?

I hope things have settled down in your life. Last I heard you were going through one thing after another.

I'm still sad about your yellow rig. I was thinking of you the other day because I had to send in the Adam's driveshaft you sold me. It was just a UJoint, and it's on its way home now. Can't wait to get it back on so I can get out in the Jeep.

How are you like your new rig?

I hope things have settled down in your life. Last I heard you were going through one thing after another.
I’m still working on it little by little the majority is done but I have to rehear this thing it has the wrong gears in it. I wasn’t planning on that one. And the parts waiting game man that’s a pain.

As far as like I do not know yet I still haven’t ran it and missed a couple cool trips with our pals.

It's exponential.

Not including the tires themselves,

31s cost $75
33s cost $2500
35s cost $10k
37s $20k+
This is another way of saying what it might take is a divorce attorney.

With 20K I’d by a second TJ, but it on 33’s like my other and tell everyone I’m running 66”.

Everyone here k ones I’m no expert at much of anything- but I can’t ever help but think of the added stress these set ups put on hub unit bearings, etc- I can’t imagine even getting them balanced well but I’m sure it happens.

You will need a lift. So I ran Q78s before it was cool on my TJ about 20 years ago on 4 inch springs and one inch spacers with a 1 inch body lift. They measured about 36x11-15 I know dream tire size! I ran stock axles Dana 44 and Dana 30 front. I had no issues besides slight rubbing and I really had no 4th or 5th gear! Yes omg I didn’t regear! I was young and dumb and had no one to tell me otherwise especially the goddamn internet. I know it’s not 37s but who fucking cares? I wheeled the hell out of mine and never broke anything besides u joints.
B019A2CB-E08C-469E-94B3-E2C7F4D6FC4D.jpeg

Reactions: custommuffler
You will need a lift. So I ran Q78s before it was cool on my TJ about 20 years ago on 4 inch springs and one inch spacers with a 1 inch body lift. They measured about 36x11-15 I know dream tire size! I ran stock axles Dana 44 and Dana 30 front. I had no issues besides slight rubbing and I really had no 4th or 5th gear! Yes omg I didn’t regear! I was young and dumb and had no one to tell me otherwise especially the goddamn internet. I know it’s not 37s but who fucking cares? I wheeled the hell out of mine and never broke anything besides u joints. View attachment 294390
This is great. It really is.

Reminds me of being younger, no knowing, not caring and generally being really happy. And honestly if it broke, we saved enough in all we didn’t do to afford to fix it. We only had so much money anyway and beer was extremely important in the budget. Sometimes things just got rolled into the weeds.

Sometimes I think the internet makes it way to easy to confused by people we don’t know and never will.

I know a guy right now- he will not listen to anyone except the “experts from afar” and has generally made a shipwreck of his life-

I really do respect the guidance here and at the same time get this viewpoint totally.

Last edited: