What would y’all do first?

bob turnbow

i just bought a nice 01 Tj. It has a 2 inch rough country lift and doesn’t drive very good. I want to replace it with ome 2 inch. I want warn 8000s winch and some led headlights. May not have money for all at once what would you do first?

i just bought a nice 01 Tj. It has a 2 inch rough country lift and doesn’t drive very good. I want to replace it with ome 2 inch. I want warn 8000s winch and some led headlights. May not have money for all at once what would you do first?
Do the ome 2" 1st if you do not like the way it rides. After that I would buy the warn 8000s and headlights last.

Reactions: JMT
It’s not terrible but it kind off darts to one side or the other at times if that makes any sense. You have to drive it can’t just lay you hand on the wheel.

Its previous owner likely (and cluelessly) replaced the factory Pitman arm with a dropped Pitman arm which will cause unstable darty steering. Can you post a photo of the Pitman arm from the side so we can see if it is dropped or not? If it's dropped you can replace it with the factory Pitman arm to cure the steering issue.

And Rough Country shock absorbers are well known for their stiff uncomfortable ride. Replacing them with Rancho’s great riding RS5000X shocks will fix that. Don't confuse those with Rancho's older RS5000 shocks which are also too stiff for a Wrangler.

The dartyness could also be if the caster is off. Sometimes with a lift people roll the front axle to adjust the driveshaft angle, and if moved too much the caster will change enough to really effect the ride and steering. I agree with Jerry about the shocks though. I had the older rs5000 on my jeep before and it rode like a brick. I ended up going to bilstin 5300 and love them. My friend has the new rs5000x and his rides just like mine does. It was pretty darn close too.

The pitman arm generally if it is dropped will lead to bump steer. The darty feeling would usually be worse when going over bumps. A good alignment may be the best way to find a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like said above, spend some dough on a good alignment when it's the time for that. I'm not talking about shops who print out a spec sheet for TJs and align it to spec, I'm talking about shops who understand how to align TJs the right way which can mean that you aren't technically in spec.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Like said above, spend some dough on a good alignment when it's the time for that. I'm not talking about shops who print out a spec sheet for TJs and align it to spec, I'm talking about shops who understand how to align TJs the right way which can mean that you aren't technically in spec.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Good call on the shop. I went to 4wheel parts and they did mine, twice just to see what I preferred then set it back to the first way it was set so I did not have to pay for 3 different alignments, and they were able to adjust it to my liking. It drives better now than it did before I lifted it. I know that not all 4wheel parts stores are created equal, but check with other local guys to get a good shop!

I goggled pics of stock arm and dropped arm and it’s dropped. So could a stock arm and good alignment possibly give me a decent ride. It has brand new shocks but I have no ideal what kind. I’m not really worried bout the ride as much as how it drives.

Reactions: JMT and Serbonze
Definitely. The pitman arm may be enough of a change to not worry about anything else. The alignment may not be needed. (I would still do it though) just me.

I goggled pics of stock arm and dropped arm and it’s dropped. So could a stock arm and good alignment possibly give me a decent ride. It has brand new shocks but I have no ideal what kind. I’m not really worried bout the ride as much as how it drives.

This is why we ask leading questions, rather than just making blind recommendations. :)

Reactions: KCsTJ
Thanks very much for all the replies. This is my third Jeep but I’m not that familiar with everything and I see I can save a lot of time and money asking questions on here. I will see how this goes and let you know. Again thanks.

Reactions: Serbonze
Chris I would like to get good enough LEDs that I won’t need a light bar. I don’t care to pay 2or 300 if they will do the job. What you recommend in that range

Chris I would like to get good enough LEDs that I won’t need a light bar. I don’t care to pay 2or 300 if they will do the job. What you recommend in that range
Obviously I'm not Chris but I went the expensive route partially out of stupidity and partially because of warranty and got JW Speaker Evo J2s and love them. I bought the Evo J1s last year for my wife's JK and that's what sold me on them for my TJ. They are insane bright and the low beams and high beams both turn on with high beams on with the J2s so it's like daylight. I got mine for 400 on sale from Northridge 4x4

ef4ce2714634f7a3080f93e0210ab1db.jpg

5eb3644e82a24ce0bdeaa11e8bcc8934.jpg

Reactions: Spaztrick and KCsTJ