What would you do dilemma: Keep my TJ or get an LJ?

Jamesval035

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I currently am planning to regear and arb rear locker, chromos and 35”s in my 01 TJ this summer. Have done a number of things to my Jeep to include MC fenders/rails and rebuilt engine 8k mi ago.

The dilemma... there is a khaki Jeep LJ rubicon 6spd for sale with 73k clean frame for 16k and could probably talk him down to 14k. It has hardtop, clean interior, and rough country lift, probably around 2”.

If everything is in working order, what would you do? Would it be worth to regear my TJ, locker, chromos, and 35”s or begin with a new platform in the LJR?

Pic of my TJ and the LJR

7F186F48-93E9-4D38-92FB-B315ED64EFC6.jpeg

C4226984-AF6F-461D-B165-8BA2481A6279.jpeg

Different vehicles. Long vs Short wheelbase. What works best for you? I prefer the short wheelbase. Rubi vs Sport transfer case. I have the Rubi, hate the 4:1 low range, love the lockers. The RockTrac transfer case was built specifically yo crawl. Do you need it?

Looks like you have built a great TJ, with an unlimited budget sure buy another but you'll need many more pockets to run two. What would you do with the LJR?

Personally would take the LJR. Greater resale value, locking D44s, the extra room, etc. Toximus makes a great point though, it is dependent on what your ultimate goal with it is. If you don't plan on going all that much bigger than 35s than a rubi is perfect, but soon after that it gets to a point where you're swapping out most of the Rubicon parts anyway. Also depending on what kind of terrain you're wanting to overcome, the shorter wheelbase of the TJ might be more suitable.

I frequently visit uwharrie and would like to Try other off road parks near me. I have 2 kids and the ole lady, so the extra room would be appreciated. Won’t go bigger than 35”s. My daughter is about 2 yrs away from driving so... that has crossed my mind. I might be selling myself the LJ. Haha

Reactions: L J
I frequently visit uwharrie and would like to Try other off road parks near me. I have 2 kids and the ole lady, so the extra room would be appreciated. Won’t go bigger than 35”s. My daughter is about 2 yrs away from driving so... that has crossed my mind. I might be selling myself the LJ. Haha

By the sounds of it the LJR would be a better option for you, they are quite sought after so I wouldn't wait too long to make a decision as you might just miss out.

My LJR the day I purchased it, with 315/75R16 ("Metric 35") tires and 5" total lift:

The week after I got it home:

On the trail near Mattley Meadows in the Stanislaus National Forest:

I like my LJ and have never regretted not choosing a short wheelbase TJ. I've had several SWB jeeps and find that the LJ's 10" longer wheelbase makes for a more stable highway ride and an advantage for many offroad obstacles, steps being one. I haven't owned my LJ long enough to make an evaluation of its longer wheelbase for every terrain, but so far it has handled NorCal's Slickrock Trail and several others of equal difficulty all without issue and without ever dragging on the crossmember.

One feature of my LJ that I particularly appreciate over my CJ-7 is the additional cargo space. I am able to pack everything I need for 3-4 nights camping behind the rear seat (with the use of a seat high cargo shelf). Even with a day cooler behind the console and day packs, jackets and other stuff on one side of the rear seat, there is still room for one rear seat passenger. You can't do that with a TJ and I couldn't do it with my CJ-7 even with an overhead rack.

My CJ-7 on the Rubicon Trail a few years before I sold it to my sister and her husband, every square inch packed with something essential and with no room to spare:

One option if you have the funds and the time would be to buy the LJ, move the bumpers, winch and other easily interchangeable aftermarket parts and accessories from the TJ to the LJ, then prep the TJ for sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: L J
I personally couldn't get talked into trading my SWB TJ for an Unlimited. Not to mention it takes more lift height on an Unlimited to achieve the same breakover angle a TJ enjoys with a shorter lift. On a very uneven trail that means the Unlimited needs more ground clearance than a TJ does to get over the same obstacles. No big deal on an easy trail but the tougher the trail, the bigger deal it becomes.

Last edited:
Nice vehicle angle graphics TJ guru. I do see where angling is huge between the both. So checked it out today and it drives great. Everything works to include lockers, however after I drove it, got back under and noticed a rms leak plus a little rust in the rear cross member of the frame but Nothing crazy. The frame other than that looks good to include holes in frame(no flakes). Offered him 14k, and he said he has to talk with his wife about it.
IMO, Hes asking a bit too much at 16k and if he doesn’t get that or close to it I think he’ll just keep it. Thanks for the replies gents

Reactions: A. Paul
Just because we ask crazy prices doesn't mean we get it. When I was selling my LJ, I consistently got the "but you're asking way over book value". The main reason I sold mine was trails around here are very tight and squeezing a mint LJ through was not very fun for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaloStapalo
He based his price for his LJ on what he was seeing around the internet ie. autotrader. Actually, he told me saw an LJR with 155k for $18K. That it a true statement as they go for about that much depending on condition and mileage. However, I know what I want to pay and what I think it is worth based on my experience with my TJ and what I see others are selling their LJ's for and the mileage it has and the "LJR" rarity. Your right, $16k isn't too bad, but it is not what I want to pay and if he so chooses he can wait for someone that wants to pay it. I would be open to some wiggle room if he decides to contact me back, but I can only wait and see. Cheers

A smart seller is always trying to find out what the market will bare.

That LJ R is worth that any day of the week if the rust is limited to a replaceable component or just surface rust .

It’s an odd vehicle ...wasn’t a good seller , now it’s rarity makes it more sought after .

They are nice if you need more room inside . If you ride tight trails and need more room outside to maneuver it , it’s gonna be a handful.

14-16 k is a good buy all around.

I can’t tell you what to do...it’s like telling you who to marry ...you never know how it’s gonna work out .

A major player in sold prices is the loan value. Most can't do much over LV, and for some reason, the LJs don't book for much more than a TJ around here.
Edit: Just looked up identical TJ and LJ and the LJ only booked for $1000 more.

Last edited:
I have the Rubi, hate the 4:1 low range

I know somebody who will trade you for a NP231. ;)

If you ride tight trails and need more room outside to maneuver it , it’s gonna be a handful.

Most of my local trails are very narrow. As long as you maintain a tight turning radius (and don't extend the steering stops way out) an LJ does fine around here. JKUs have to do multipoint turns however. Having corner guards will also help push against trees.

Reactions: MaloStapalo