What would you do preemptively to this Jeep for longevity?

rxthurm

I have a new to me 2005 X, 4 L, 4 spd auto with D 30/D 35M and 3.73 gears and only 33k miles. I'm looking to make sure this TJ lasts a long time while keeping headaches to a minimum. Since I've purchased it, I've done Noico sound barrier, bed tread, new speakers/sub/head unit, LED interior lights plus LED head lights, boom mat headliner, and a few more.

WHAT other mechanical/electrical things would you do now to ensure longevity? I already took it to a dealership for an oil change and everything passed inspection. Some things I've read about thus far:

-drill holes in frame to allow for proper drainage
- fluid film frame to stop/prevent rust
-change ODPA with Crown model and use OEM cam sensor

Any others?!

Thanks

I would use Eastwood internal frame coating instead or before the fluid film.
And give the outside of the frame a coating of good paint. Including dropping the skid plate and cleaning and repaint that area. Some people put a few flat washers in between to create a air gap. And avoid salt as much as possible. Rust is the only real enemy of the TJ every thing else is easily fixed.

The biggest thing you can do for longevity is not drive it when they salt the roads, period. No ifs, ands, or butts about that. Find a winter beater and don't drive your Jeep when there is salt on the roads.

If you have to, take it home when you are done and immediately pressure wash the entire vehicle, including the underside.

Coat the underside in something like Fluid Film and use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating on the inside of the frame.

Refresh your cooling system by following this thread: Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ

And change your O2 sensors following this thread: The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

Reactions: Cornbread and chad
Chiming in as always for Fluid Film. I literally just hosed down the underside and reapplied some in and out over my lunch break about 30 min ago. Drill those drain holes for sure and re-paint them after you do. If your frame is in like new/factory shape, I'd agree that Eastwood is a great option, perhaps better depending on how often you care to wash/reapply and check up on things.

A lot of the stuff on here is for people starting out at much higher mileage and, as such, who are having to replace normal wear and tear parts. I feel like you could drive it for 6 months or so and have a much better answer to your question at the end of that time. Most people will tell you as long as you follow a good maintenance routine and don't neglect fluids, you'll be fine for a loooong time.

All good suggestions except the Eastwood. Any type of paint air coating, especially inside the frame will give the illusion of a rust free surface while behind the coating rust may be eating through the frame. Keep to using the Fluid Film or one of the cosmoline spray products. The metal stays coated. And you can recoat to improve protection. Unless you can 100% guarentee there is absolutely no rust inside the frame then once you put a hard coating of any product the rust underneath is free to continue. Fluid Film will continue to creep into every crack and crevice to stop rust. And if for some reason you need to remove it, it can be washed off, unlike the Eastwood product.

Reactions: mots
My Jeep was coated with Ziebart from the dealership. It has been fantastic. though now 15 years later, the costing is flashing off and are are starting to get exposed. I’ll have to get this fluid film

I protect my interior and exterior with a thin layer of mud. :cool::cool::cool:

But more seriously, yeah, avoid salt like the plague and your Jeep will last forever.

muddy_jeep.jpg

I protect my interior and exterior with a thin layer of mud. :cool::cool::cool:

But more seriously, yeah, avoid salt like the plague and your Jeep will last forever.

View attachment 134829

That is one of the best pictures I've seen in a while. Those tires look great like that even though it probably took some pavement driving to make them that way.

That is one of the best pictures I've seen in a while. Those tires look great like that even though it probably took some pavement driving to make them that way.
It was pretty funny because I had no idea quite how covered it was. I just drove home and 4-5 times someone cruised by me, and then slammed on the brakes to get another look while I caught up. I was like, what's going on here. I've had a muddy Jeep before... should I be worried about what they are looking at. 😮 I'd have mud, but not like this. :)

Fluid Film is a waste of money if you pressure wash after you apply it, unless you plan on reapplying fluid film on your frame each time.

I would replace the valve cover gasket with a Felpro one. My OEM gasket was already failing at 58k miles when I bought the Jeep. Made a horrible mess on the back, and sides of the block. Made me think I had a bad main seal AND bad head gasket. When I ripped into it, I spent a good hour scrubbing the block and undersides with a wire brush and some purple power to make it look new. The back of the old gasket reminded me of the top of a dam with the water just freely flowing over the top.

Now at 88k the Felpro gasket is still good with no leaks and the block is still clean. Take some time to replace the CCV elbows and grommets on the valve cover when you do it because those rot out and go pretty quickly too. When I get my next jeep, that will be the first thing I do if it doesn't already have the Felpro gasket.

- fluid film frame to stop/prevent rust
-change ODPA with Crown model and use OEM cam sensor

maybe a n00b question, but what's fluid film, and where is it sold? I've never heard of this before...I was planning to go the eastwood inner frame paint route, but I'm open minded.

D'oh! That was easy. I should have looked there first. thank you.

I bought a gallon of Fluid Film from NAPA and applied with undercoat gun and compressor. In the spring I will pressure wash and clean the underside and inside the frame.