What would you include in a survivalists kit?

Eberdt123

So worst comes to worst hypothetically one day and you get lost or in a crash out on a trail. What are some items in your jeep you would have handy?

I have a cigarette lighter-powered magnetic mount LED spotlight. Could be used for working on Jeep, and to aim in any direction.

A ham radio. That way you can tune into a repeater and call for help. (You need to know the frequencies before going out)

Reactions: billiebob
These are items I carry rear around in my Jeep
First aid kit
Shovel
Axe
Machete
Space blankets
Some way to make fire
MRE’s most include a way to cook food
Lifestraw Water filter
Water
Para chord
Rope
Flashlight
Down vest
Rain coat
Dual band radio
Handheld dual band
CB radio

So worst comes to worst hypothetically one day and you get lost or in a crash out on a trail. What are some items in your jeep you would have handy?

TJ Wrangler Center Bezel with Garmin Navigation and inReach Explorer also Ham and CB Radios Ju...jpg
Gear ready for packing 05 05 19.jpg

A ham radio. That way you can tune into a repeater and call for help. (You need to know the frequencies before going out)

I installed a 2M/440 ham radio for that purpose. Then I discovered there were not nearly enough repeaters to make it useful in the areas I wheel in. So I installed an HF ham radio. You can always get someone to respond on HF. Of course they may be on the wrong coast but that doesn’t matter. I will add that I carry an Inreach tracker and have 5 gallons of water on board.

Has anyone read the story of the “Death Valley Germans”? It is a tutorial on what not to do.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much! I have a cv radio but I am going to look for a good place to put it or just order a new one considering the condition of this one. Thank you all for the advice and I will definitely be ordering some stuff! never know what your gonna get into.

Reactions: Blondie70
For outright survival, some of ya'll need to study a bit more. You need a small bit of shelter to stay warm when it is cold, some shade when it is hot, a lot of water if at all possible, a way to build a fire, and that will tide you over many days. You can survive several days without water, much longer without food. You can survive much longer without food if you have water.

That is unless this is a similar question like is often asked about First Aid kits. The vast majority of us carry comfort kits that aren't capable of much other than a bit of comfort if we get a minor cut, scrape, bee sting etc. The survival shit shown so far for the most part is about the same. Staying comfy until help arrives.

For outright survival, some of ya'll need to study a bit more. You need a small bit of shelter to stay warm when it is cold, some shade when it is hot, a lot of water if at all possible, a way to build a fire, and that will tide you over many days. You can survive several days without water, much longer without food. You can survive much longer without food if you have water.

That is unless this is a similar question like is often asked about First Aid kits. The vast majority of us carry comfort kits that aren't capable of much other than a bit of comfort if we get a minor cut, scrape, bee sting etc. The survival shit shown so far for the most part is about the same. Staying comfy until help arrives.
With a GPS SOS locator like the inreach, there’s no reason to be spending days in the wild. Maybe a night depending on timing.

Reactions: Rick Flair