What would you include in a survivalists kit?

For outright survival, some of ya'll need to study a bit more. You need a small bit of shelter to stay warm when it is cold, some shade when it is hot, a lot of water if at all possible, a way to build a fire, and that will tide you over many days. You can survive several days without water, much longer without food. You can survive much longer without food if you have water.

You survive your way, I'll survive mine. I like to maintain my standard of living, such as it is, to the last possible second. ;)

But when the shit really hits the fan I can survive for a week or more with the contents of the day pack in the left foreground of my photo in post #10, which includes in addition to the traditional "Ten Essentials" a couple of MRE's, some jerky, nuts, dried fruit, a bladder full of potable water, a Lifestraw and water purification kit.

My handheld ham radio clips onto the pack, but I suffer no illusions that anyone would be able to hear me with that thing unless I happened to be standing right next to a repeater. Even then I wouldn't bet my life on it, hence my Garmin inReach Explorer+ GPS locator with satellite SOS capability. [The 'help, I've fallen and can't get up' device for the wilderness.]

. . . That is unless this is a similar question like is often asked about First Aid kits. The vast majority of us carry comfort kits that aren't capable of much other than a bit of comfort if we get a minor cut, scrape, bee sting etc. The survival shit shown so far for the most part is about the same. Staying comfy until help arrives.

That's usually the point. Hikers/offroaders/climbers, etc. in distress who are on the move are a lot harder to find. The smart ones stay put and figure out how to get found.

BTW, the first aid kit in the orange box shown in my photo, which I consider to be a well equipped "comfort" kit vs. a kit carried by someone well trained as a wilderness first responder, contains:

Dressings:
(50) 1″ X 3″ Bandages
(1) Adhesive Tape
(1) 2″ Rolled Gauze
(1) 3” Rolled Gauze
(6) 2″ X 2″ Gauze Pads
(4) 3″ X 3″ Gauze Pads
(1) 4″ X 4″ Burn Dressing
(2) 5″ X 9″ Trauma Pads
(5) 2” X 4″ Adhesive Bandages
(5) Knuckle Bandages
(5) Finger Wraps Bandages
(5) XL Fingertip Bandages
(1) Triangle Bandages
(4) Eye Pads

Tools:
(1) Windlass Tourniquet
(1) 24” Moldable Splint
(10) Antiseptic Wipes
(10) Triple Biotic Ointment
(10) Burn Cream
(1) First Aid Guide Booklet (American Red Cross, BSA First Aid Merit Badge booklet)
(1) Cold Pack
(1) CPR Shield
(4) Disposable Gloves (4 Pairs)
(1) Rescue Blanket
(1) Eye Wash
(2) Sunscreen
(6) Hand Sanitizer
(1) Light Stick
(1) Scissor
(1) Tweezers
(1) Rescue Whistle

Medications:
(1) Medication Divider [for personal prescriptions, antibiotics, etc.]
(5) Aspirin (Chest Pain)
(1) Glucose (Low Blood Sugar)
(5) Cetafen (Non-Aspirin)
(5) Diotame (Diarrhea)
(5) Exaprin (Pain Relief)
(5) Histaprin (Allergic Reaction)
(5) Ibuprofen (Pain Relief)
(5) ElectroTab (Dehydration)
(2) Meclizine (Motion Sickness)

With a GPS SOS locator like the inReach, there’s no reason to be spending days in the wild. Maybe a night depending on timing.

That depends entirely on where in the world you happen to be. It would be true at Moab and in many parts of the Southwest, but perhaps not in steep, overgrown mountainous areas of the Pacific Northwest. Outside the country is another story altogether. One example with which I am familiar is Baja California, which I researched thoroughly before my trip last year, especially what local resources are and are not available in the remote areas outside cell/wifi range (80% of Baja).

The bottom line for Baja is that the guy in the inReach "command center" may be able to text back and forth with you by satellite if you are stuck and injured, know exactly where you are and be able to initiate communications with local authorities, but that doesn't mean boots on the ground are going to get to you anytime soon. In addition to your inReach you need private evacuation insurance purchased prior to departure to expect help sooner than 4-5 days. [You need private airlift insurance in the U.S. too unless you have bags full of money to pay for the ride, which won't be covered by your regular healthcare insurance.]

Moral of the story: No matter how prepared you think you are, carry survival gear, a first aid kit, food and water.

You survive your way, I'll survive mine. I like to maintain my standard of living, such as it is, to the last possible second. ;)

But when the shit really hits the fan I can survive for a week or more with the contents of the day pack in the left foreground of my photo in post #10, which includes in addition to the traditional "Ten Essentials" a couple of MRE's, some jerky, nuts, dried fruit, a bladder full of potable water, a Lifestraw and water purification kit.

My handheld ham radio clips onto the pack, but I suffer no illusions that anyone would be able to hear me with that thing unless I happened to be standing right next to a repeater. Even then I wouldn't bet my life on it, hence my Garmin inReach Explorer+ GPS locator with satellite SOS capability. [The 'help, I've fallen and can't get up' device for the wilderness.]

That's usually the point. Hikers/offroaders/climbers, etc. in distress who are on the move are a lot harder to find. The smart ones stay put and figure out how to get found.

BTW, the first aid kit in the orange box shown in my photo, which I consider to be a well equipped "comfort" kit vs. a kit carried by someone well trained as a wilderness first responder, contains:

Dressings:
(50) 1″ X 3″ Bandages
(1) Adhesive Tape
(1) 2″ Rolled Gauze
(1) 3” Rolled Gauze
(6) 2″ X 2″ Gauze Pads
(4) 3″ X 3″ Gauze Pads
(2) 5″ X 9″ Trauma Pads
(5) Knuckle Bandages
(1) Triangle Bandages
(4) Eye Pads

Tools:
(1) Windlass Tourniquet
(1) 24” Moldable Splint
(10) Antiseptic Wipes
(10) Burn Cream
(1) First Aid Guide Booklet (American Red Cross, BSA First Aid Merit Badge booklet)
(1) Cold Pack
(1) CPR Shield
(1) Rescue Blanket
(1) Eye Wash
(2) Sunscreen
(6) Hand Sanitizer
(1) Light Stick
(1) Scissor
(1) Tweezers
(1) Rescue Whistle

Medications:
(5) Aspirin (Chest Pain)
(5) Diotame (Diarrhea)
Very comprehensive “comfort” first aid kit @Mr. Bills. Impressive load out as always.

Like many of you I like to shoot and occasionally will combine this activity with four wheeling.
I purchased this serious kit with a 20% off Father’s Day coupon.
https://www.rescue-essentials.com/home-defense-trauma-kit/It is well equipped for my Wilderness First Aid level of training.

I may have been able to assemble something myself a bit cheaper but I’m satisfied with my purchase.

The advice in this thread concerning the InReach device is spot on. I carry one religiously.
Ive been on the rescuer side of one of these devises being activated in the Grand Canyon and IMO the two way communication is priceless.

I wheeled with one guy (two door JK) that had so much garbage in the back he couldn't see out the center rearview. He had a drawer system that went to the top of his hardtop. He showed me his survival kit one day that included two handguns in addition to the one on his hip, fire starter, a sleeping bag , a space blanket, 10 MRE's, two shovels, a chainsaw, flares... the list goes on.

Very very few TJ owners are going places that require even much of a survival kit at all. I used to do plenty of forest service road exploration in Wyoming by myself. I just carried some basic necessities for vehicle recovery, tools, and water / some food. l honestly can't remember the last time I was on a trail that I couldn't theoretically have made it to pavement on foot in a long day. It would have sucked, but I'm young. Unless you are doing some very very remote wheeling completely by yourself, I wouldn't clutter up your Jeep with a thousand different trinkets that can keep you alive.

Reactions: Blondie70

Dressings:
(50) 1″ X 3″ Bandages
(1) Adhesive Tape
(1) 2″ Rolled Gauze
(1) 3” Rolled Gauze
(6) 2″ X 2″ Gauze Pads
(4) 3″ X 3″ Gauze Pads
(2) 5″ X 9″ Trauma Pads
(5) Knuckle Bandages
(1) Triangle Bandages
(4) Eye Pads

Tools:
(1) Windlass Tourniquet
(1) 24” Moldable Splint
(10) Antiseptic Wipes
(10) Burn Cream
(1) Cold Pack
(1) CPR Shield
(1) Rescue Blanket
(1) Eye Wash
(2) Sunscreen
(6) Hand Sanitizer
(1) Light Stick
(1) Scissor
(1) Tweezers
(1) Rescue Whistle

Medications:
(5) Aspirin (Chest Pain)
(5) Diotame (Diarrhea)
Note the intentional use of the phrase "the vast majority" instead of the word "all".

Very comprehensive “comfort” first aid kit @Mr. Bills. Impressive load out as always.

I can't take any credit for the list of contents. I was lucky enough to be standing next to an EMT I know while we were attending a raffle at an offroading event in Moab. One of the items was that first aid kit. He looked at the list of contents and told me that he couldn't build that kit for the advertised retail price, so I put all but two of my raffle tickets in that bucket.

The odds were apparently in my favor that night. :)

This is the essentially the same kit from the same company as it is currently packaged. The retail price has increased substantially since I acquired mine.

https://outerlimitsupply.com/product/waterproof-individual-first-aid-kit-ifak/

Reactions: DrDmoney
I never venture out far enough into the abyss for pure survival items to be any use.

That said, I have some tools, duct tape, flashlight, and a 1911.

Reactions: Blondie70
I never venture out far enough into the abyss for pure survival items to be any use.

Then you are missing places like this:

Punta Estero San Cosme just north of Bahia Aqua Verde.jpg