What would your dream bumper set look like?

My dream bumpers would look very much like the Savvy but with a few small changes. I'd like to clean up the corner reinforcements some, maybe move to a thinner stainless for more sliding ability.

Material would bump up to 1/4" for the front one and be designed around being that thick so the holes would line up better.

I'd like the winch deck to bump up to 1/4" for some of the more hardcore stuff we run into from time to time.

I'd like to add some material in some key spots inside the rear bumper so you could drill and tap for some corner reinforcements since you can't use through bolts back there.

I'd also like to widen out the front by 1/2" per side to make it easier to install and run a SwayLOC with the bumper corners.
Very insightful thanks for the input. Are you saying you would want it built out of stainless steel? obviously very doable, but it would change the cost a good bit for various reasons. whatever material i'd be using, id certainly go with 1/4in for almost everything

Very insightful thanks for the input. Are you saying you would want it built out of stainless steel? obviously very doable, but it would change the cost a good bit for various reasons. whatever material i'd be using, id certainly go with 1/4in for almost everything
Not what I said at all.

whatever material i'd be using, id certainly go with 1/4in for almost everything
I lost sight of the fact that you're considering going into the budget bumper business. You really need to rethink that statement. 1/4" is fine for aluminum in the correct temper. It is not fine for any other metal.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
@mrblaine have you ever pondered if there was a way to sink the winch on a Savvy TJ bumper similar to what's done on the JK Savvy front bumpers?

I know it would take a lot of fab work as well as engineering a solution for the front tube cross member, wondering if you've ever explored it?

@mrblaine have you ever pondered if there was a way to sink the winch on a Savvy TJ bumper similar to what's done on the JK Savvy front bumpers?

I know it would take a lot of fab work as well as engineering a solution for the front tube cross member, wondering if you've ever explored it?
I've pondered it, then I realized it is fairly stupid since there is no benefit other than aesthetics and the amount of work is outstandingly high for only an aesthetic solution. Reengineering the mount for the core support is basic and simple. Simple U mount that spans either side of the sunken winch that is flush to the bottom of the front round tube. I could probably come up with one that bolted on if I cared, I don't.

The very first reason I would never do that? We already struggle with keeping the front of the fairlead, winch line, and line termination out of the rocks, moving it lower only compounds that misery by several factors.

You have to understand my build philosophy. If I won't personally use it and recommend it to my friends from a highly defensible position that can prove the merits of a product, I pretty much won't do it.

You have to understand my build philosophy. If I won't personally use it and recommend it to my friends from a highly defensible position that can prove the merits of a product, I pretty much won't do it.
I wish others that designed and sold products for our platform felt the same. There is far to much stuff being sold that simply shouldn't exist! :(

There is far to much stuff being sold that simply shouldn't exist! :(
I don't know if that is actually true. I view it like happiness. If you never experience sadness then happiness isn't very special. If there weren't any shit products out there, how would you know how good something else really is?

I don't know if that is actually true. I view it like happiness. If you never experience sadness then happiness isn't very special. If there weren't any shit products out there, how would you know how good something else really is?
This is true. The unfortunate part is some are unable to distinguish the good from the bad. I had one of these discussions recently. Showing someone the Savvy UA, they made the following two statements:

1. "Steel is far better than aluminum for a skid"
2. "The angled part looks nice but isn't really necessary"

:(

This is true. The unfortunate part is some are unable to distinguish the good from the bad. I had one of these discussions recently. Showing someone the Savvy UA, they made the following two statements:

1. "Steel is far better than aluminum for a skid"
2. "The angled part looks nice but isn't really necessary"

:(
Neither of those comments are incorrect though. Steel is better than aluminum if you don't care about weight and cost is your primary objective in delivering a product.

The angled part does look nice and is wholly an unneeded design and execution feature unless you care about clearance and overall performance. It is only necessary if such things matter. The vast majority simply don't care as long as they can spend less money.

I lost sight of the fact that you're considering going into the budget bumper business. You really need to rethink that statement. 1/4" is fine for aluminum in the correct temper. It is not fine for any other metal.
Price isn’t a concern for me at the moment. I’m still gathering ideas and drawing things out. I have no issues making bumpers out of aluminum, stainless steel, or mild steel, as I have the materials and capabilities to do any of those. Price is only a concern when it comes to getting customers to actually buy the bumpers

What did I get wrong? Truly wondering.

Blaine's stainless steel comment only applied to the corner reinforcement on the bumper (shown below) —> not the entire bumper. Please re-read his original comment :)

1647559030613.png

Blaine's stainless steel comment only applied to the corner reinforcement on the bumper (shown below) —> not the entire bumper. Please re-read his original comment :)

View attachment 316489
Gotcha okay. Yeah that’s definitely doable no problem. Would y’all prefer stainless for the corner guards regardless of base material of the bumper? As it seems this would be just a bolt on part with inset screws

Gotcha okay. Yeah that’s definitely doable no problem. Would y’all prefer stainless for the corner guards regardless of base material of the bumper? As it seems this would be just a bolt on part with inset screws
Not really. If the bumper is steel, it doesn't matter.

Got this Motobilt stubby bumper and fairlead mount coming in the mail after I finally got sick of the mustache on my front end (from the PO).

I didn’t go with a winch guard because it’s less weight without, cheaper, and hasn’t been necessary thus far.

I’m a fan of the Savvy but it’s not in stock last I checked.