What year is the best TJ?

Teddybear

I already have one TJ. And im thinking of purchasing a second one. I would assume the Rubicon TJ But what year?

"Best" is a relative thing.

I can tell you that when the TJ was brand new the top end model was the Rubicon which was produced from 2003-2006.

Is the Rubicon the best model? Well, if we are comparing stock versus stock then yes, it most certainly is.

I purchased a Rubicon for the upgraded axles, lockers, transfer case and the fact that a Rubicon always has a higher resale value.

Why 05/06? I'm actually curious since I don't know the answer to that myself. I know 05/06 had the 6 speed which is a big plus. Anything else I'm missing?

6 speed tranny
Throttle body
Sun rider soft top
Introduction of LJ Rubicon
Sound system
more insulation
Springs and shocks + crossmember

...actually, it might be 2004 that might have gotten some (or all) of these changes and some might be specific to the unlimited. I don't remember everything off the top of my head anymore.

Let's just say that 2004 got a lot of changes with 2005/2006 being the pinnacle of improvements. :)

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
What's different about the throttle body?

Well, glad I bought an 05 in that case!

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I'd want something no newer than 2004. 2005—2006 is when the major OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) issue hit the 4.0 engine that can be so hard to fix. And for me personally, it'd be a 2002 or older so I could get the nearly bulletproof 32RH 3-speed automatic transmission. Ideally I'd also skip the 99-00 years where the onboard diagnostics were missing.

99-00 had no OBDII port?
98-00 TJs have the port an aftermarket external diagnostic code reader can plug into but they can't self generate the diagnostic codes that display in the odometer on their own. All other model year TJs can generate and display their own diagnostic trouble codes in the odometer by turning the ignition switch on-off-on three times within five seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheFrenchMan
Oh okay, but you can still read them with an OBDII scanner. That's a little odd that it only affects 98-00 models.

I'd want something no newer than 2004. 2005—2006 is when the major OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) issue hit the 4.0 engine that can be so hard to fix. And for me personally, it'd be a 2002 or older so I could get the nearly bulletproof 32RH 3-speed automatic transmission. Ideally I'd also skip the 99-00 years where the onboard diagnostics were missing.

The OPDA wasn't that hard to fix. The hardest part was manually turning the crank to get TDC. Other than that it was just slight adjustments on the OPDA itself to get it lined up perfectly.

The OPDA wasn't that hard to fix. The hardest part was manually turning the crank to get TDC. Other than that it was just slight adjustments on the OPDA itself to get it lined up perfectly.

I still have to do mine. It looks super easy to do based off the YouTube video.

Also, another good reference for stock specifications on the Wrangler TJ can be found here.

As far as the OPDA issue goes, all you have to do is replace it with a new one (easy job) and you should be just fine.

Another couple model year 4.0L engines I'd think twice about before buying... late '99 after they went to the coil rail ignition system up to about 2002. Those years had the notorious 0331 head on the engine which is known to crack even on well maintained 4.0L engines.