What year Jeeps qualify for classic car insurance rates?

Trendsetter75

I wanted to know what is the latest Jeep that can qualify for classic insurance? Im looking at purchasing a TJ real soon and wanted to get an insurance discount by getting a specific year that can qualify for the car insurance discount classic. Thanks!

I have 2 cars under collector car insurance and wanted to put it on my TJ and they balked...saying that they are usually used for offroad and subject to more chance of damage. I might take another crack at them this year, especially in the winter where it will sit in the garage. Typically if you can tell them about something modified on a car, year does not matter. They are more concerned you have inside parking and limited use, you could buy a brand new Shelby stang and have it covered by some classic insurance companies.

Reactions: Chris
As far as I'm concerned a jeep has to be a Willys, WWII Ford script or perhaps a Kaiser jeep to be a classic. However, what constitutes a "classic" to the DMV varies by state and availability of classic car insurance for a particular year, make and model varies by insurance company.

It is unlikely that any state DMV or insurance company will consider a 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler to be a "classic." Also, you should be aware that one of the trade-offs for discounted classic car insurance is a strict limitation on how many miles it can be driven each year and sometimes on how it can be driven (parades, car shows, occasional weekend use, etc).

Reactions: Fouledplugs
In NY DMV has nothing to say about a classic insurance policy, they just care that it has proper liability insurance. @Trendsetter75 is looking for cheaper rates, Maybe NY DMV might issue historical plates based on age but they can't dictate insurance.

Reactions: tquig01
In about 4 years you will be able to register a 97 TJ as Historic in NY, their policy is 25 years for historic classification. There are limitations that go along with that type registration, generally only to transport to car shows and similar functions. I had a Triumph registered as historic in NJ with the same rules and there was zero enforcement.

In about 4 years you will be able to register a 97 TJ as Historic in NY, their policy is 25 years for historic classification. There are limitations that go along with that type registration, generally only to transport to car shows and similar functions. I had a Triumph registered as historic in NJ with the same rules and there was zero enforcement.

I believe 25 years is the policy here in Oregon as well.

Reactions: JMT
In NY DMV has nothing to say about a classic insurance policy, they just care that it has proper liability insurance. . . . .

No one said that the NY DMV or any state's DMV has anything to say about classic car insurance policies. The statement was that "what constitutes a "classic" to the DMV varies by state" and that the availability of classic car insurance for a particular vehicle "varies by insurance company." Two different things.

No one said that the NY DMV or any state's DMV has anything to say about classic car insurance policies. The statement was that "what constitutes a "classic" to the DMV varies by state" and that the availability of classic car insurance for a particular vehicle "varies by insurance company." Two different things.
My take on his question was more of could he put his TJ on a collectors policy to save money, he was not asking about DMV classification.....maybe I read into it wrong...just offering my thoughts as he lives fairly close to me.

Tennessee: 25 Years old and you can only drive on Sat/Sun or special events (parade etc.). No general daily use other than transporting to/from repair needs. Also, must have non-modified engine/body.

Collector cr plates in BC must be at least 25 years old and be completely restored to original condition. Including wheels and radio. A lot of guys trade out the wheels or sound system after having it inspected but we have no special discounts for anything altered. Our "limited use" is not about mileage but you cannot commute or use it for work.

They changed the rules in Wisconsin so now the vehicle just has to be at least 20 years old with an unmodified body, and the owner has to have another vehicle with a regular license.

It used to be that vehicles with collector plates couldn't be driven in February, which I always thought was clever. Winter in Wisconsin sucks.

Hill-Austin Healey 1.JPG
Bugeye2.JPG
25 years old is considered as an antique auto in Tennessee. I have one vehicle (81 Delorean)with the permanent AA plate, but the 59 Healey is not as I have a personalized plate that can not be used with the permanent AA plate. They are both covered under a limited use, stated value insurance policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: fuse
View attachment 58569 View attachment 58570 25 years old is considered as an antique auto in Tennessee. I have one vehicle (81 Delorean)with the permanent AA plate, but the 59 Healey is not as I have a personalized plate that can not be used with the permanent AA plate. They are both covered under a limited use, stated value insurance policy.
Nice Bug Eye ! My Mom gave me her old beater Sprite when I turned 16 . Taught me to work on cars and scrounge for parts .

Reactions: Never Grow Up