What year TJ's use the Zerex G05 Coolant?

Never buy 50/50. Unless you can get it for less then 1/2 the price of full strength. You are literally paying for 50% water. I go down to the Walmart or any grocery store and buy "distilled" water. The same kind that you use in your iron. You can get a gallon of water for less than a dollar. So the 1 gallon of antifreeze becomes 2. I save an old 1 gallon bottle of anything(clean)and mix it up.
This will also come in handy to keep in the jeep.

Never buy 50/50. Unless you can get it for less then 1/2 the price of full strength. You are literally paying for 50% water. I go down to the Walmart or any grocery store and buy "distilled" water. The same kind that you use in your iron. You can get a gallon of water for less than a dollar. So the 1 gallon of antifreeze becomes 2. I save an old 1 gallon bottle of anything(clean)and mix it up.
This will also come in handy to keep in the jeep.
X2, agreed. And no need to pay more than what Zerex G-05 costs, it is a superb coolant.

Reactions: Tim Redman
This last weekend was my first exposure to the Zerex coolant. Is that required for the TJ cooling system, or just vastly superior and preferred to regular anti-freeze? Because of their construction, I know that some GM and Pontiacs have to have a special coolant, but until this weekend, I wasn't sure if the same went for Jeeps. Judging by the labeling on it, it actually covers several different late-model makes (Ford, etc).

This last weekend was my first exposure to the Zerex coolant. Is that required for the TJ cooling system, or just vastly superior and preferred to regular anti-freeze? Because of their construction, I know that some GM and Pontiacs have to have a special coolant, but until this weekend, I wasn't sure if the same went for Jeeps. Judging by the labeling on it, it actually covers several different late-model makes (Ford, etc).
GM is associated with Dexcool which is notorious for causing cooling system problems. Many consider Dexcool to be the work of the devil since if it's not changed often enough, it turns into Dexsludge. GM was sued at one point over its Dexcool coolant.

Nearly any coolant can be used but propylene-glycol based coolants should be avoided as they provide less freeze protection and less corrosion protection. HOAT Is what the factory switched to as it's simply a better and more protective coolant. That's why Jeep switched to it. We consistently recommend Zerex G-05 in various Jeep forums because it's a HOAT that is known to work extremely well. I also use Zerex G-05 in my cars as it is also compatible with my daily driver BMW and my wife's Lexus.

Last edited:
GM is associated with Dexcool which is notorious for causing cooling system problems. Many consider Dexcool to be the work of the devil since if it's not changed often enough, it turns into Dexsludge. GM was sued at one point over its Dexcool coolant.

Nearly any coolant can be used but propylene-glycol based coolants should be avoided as they provide less freeze protection and less corrosion protection. HOAT Is what the factory switched to as it's simply a better and more protective coolant. That's why Jeep switched to it. We consistently recommend Zerex G-05 because it's a HOAT that is known to work extremely well. I also use Zerex G-05 as it is also compatible with my daily driver BMW and my wife's Lexus.
I'd heard the same things about it, too. However, as a disclaimer, my wheels before the Jeep were a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire, which is basically just a two-door coupe version of the Chevy Cavalier, and I never had any issue with DEX-COOL. However, I did only have it for a couple of years, and never flushed it.

Also, to save some people time, since I had to look it up, too. :)

HOAT = Hybrid Organic Acid Technology

OAT anti-freeze (DEX-COOL) contain ingredients such as 2-EHA, sebacate and other various organic acids, and is dyed to a different color to visually distinguish it from the familiar green silicate and phosphate style coolants. As Jerry mentioned, there's a whole three ring circus shackled to DEX-COOL because of the way 2-EHA dissolves rubber, among other cool little side effects.

Hybrid OAT (Zerex G05) uses organic acids but not 2-EHA (the anti-corrosive that dissolves rubber and nylon) and usually include silicates to provide protection for aluminium surfaces.

Typically OAT and HOAT coolants are changed every 5 years or 150,000 miles, whereas traditional anti-freeze gets changed every 2 or 3 years, or 30,000 miles.

(taken shamelessly from ELF Lubricants @ http://www.elf.com/en/advice-corner/coolant-and-antifreeze-faqs/antifreeze-types.html and Wikipedia @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze)

The day we stop learning new things is the day we should be ashamed of ourselves. :)

Reactions: MaloStapalo