What years and trims of TJs had ABS?

Greenmachine

TJ Enthusiast
I’m trying to figure this out once and for all; most ads from dealers say the TJ they’re selling has ABS. As such, I call BS on that 99% of the time, but I do know it was an option on some trim levels during some years, but I haven’t nailed down exactly which.

Also, I’ve never input a VIN into the build sheet link and seen that ANY TJ I’ve Been interested in (and there have been MANY...) has ABS, so I’m wondering if anti-lock brakes were part of these odd sounding line items such as “customer preferred package 25x”, or “conveinence group” or my personal favorite: “mutually exclusive package”, what is this stuff all that about?

TJ Rubicons and Rubicon Unlimited models never had ABS.

As for non-Rubicon models, some of them had it, while others didn't. It was an option, and it ill be very apparent if they have ABS by looking under the hood and seeing the ABS module right under the master cylinder.

Reactions: Greenmachine
ABS was strictly an option for models without the Dana 44, at least until later in the TJ production program, maybe around 2003-4 My '97 Sport came with ABS but I had to disable it after replacing the rear Dana 35 with a Dana 44.

Last edited:
My '03 sport does not have ABS but I'm beginning to discover that I have a Frankenstein TJ.
Maybe I should have Frankenstein stickers made to replace the "Sport" stickers. LOL

My 2003 Sport with rear Dana 44 doesn't appear to have it, at least based on build sheet. Now I gotta look at the master cylinder to confirm :) I suspect that it does not though.

Greetings TJers,

So did I hear right that after a certain year, all models have ABS? I thought that NHTSA/DOT required ABS after a certain year - well over a decade ago - but that's what I believed to be true. In the last decade, could any Wrangler or Gladiator be ordered without ABS?

Thanks,

Steve in Seattle