What Years models vehicles will work for a Dana 44 swap?

wmblore

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I have searched through most of the builds and easily could have missed it but is there a list of what axles will direct bolt to existing TJ’s.

I have a 2002, 4.0L, 5 speed. I would like to start looking at CL, wrecking yards and other sites to find the Dana 44 front and rear to swap.
What other years or models or even other vehicles can I be looking for?
Thanks

I put 2003 dana 44s in my 2001 tj without issue. Any year should bolt up just fine.

Make sure the gear ratio is the same as the front.

Any rear Dana 44 from a 1997 to 2006 Wrangler TJ will be a direct bolt-in. It'd be easier to just upgrade your existing front Dana 30 with alloy inner/outer axle shafts which would then hold up fine to 35's and a locker.

Last edited:
So, to build a "reliable" Dana 30 (to wheel 35s) first priority would be to upgrade axle shafts. Would the next priority be to gusset the inner Cs?

It seems like a good investment to prevent damage to an unreplaceable piece? Or is there something more pressing?

As others have said other than a TJ Dana 44 nothing else is a direct bolt in.

Now if you want a Dana 44 from other vehicles there are options BUT you would have to do more work. Not all Dana 44's are made the same.

The Dana 44 from a Jeep Wagoneer from 1980-1990 are 61.5" wide. But you would have to weld the brackets on it. You need to look at the axle as they made a few years that had the axle disconnecte like the YJ's.
The other option is to get a Ford Dana 44 front axle. They are wider but can be narrowed to accept Wagoneer width axles. This is what I did for my front axle.

It comes down to how much work you want to put into it.

A Dana 30 can be built to handle up to a 35" tire. A Dana 44 built right can handle up to a 40" tire but it depends on the Dana 44.

Since we’re talking axels... I’ve seen rear Dana 44 go for quite bit of money and are kinda hard to find. Is it the same, better or cheaper to run 35’s by upgrading your Dana 35 Rear to a Super Dana 35?
Or you cannot run 35 on that set up?
Thanks

Would the next priority be to gusset the inner Cs?
No need to gusset the Dana 30's C's despite what the ads say. The Dana 30 C's are identical to the C's on my untrussed Rubicon Dana 44 axle and it holds up fine on trails most would consider extremely tough. I didn't truss my previous TJ's Dana 30 C's either.

Reactions: JoshNZ
No need to gusset the Dana 30's C's despite what the ads say. The Dana 30 C's are identical to the C's on my untrussed Rubicon Dana 44 axle and it holds up fine on trails most would consider extremely tough. I didn't truss my previous TJ's Dana 30 C's either.

Thanks, Jerry,

You answered the exact question I didn't properly ask... "Do I need it, or do I need to stop believing the marketing"

Reactions: Jerry Bransford