What years of TJ A/C will work with a 2002 TJ?

RHanna

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Does anyone know what years will work with a 2002 TJ? I'm looking to install A/C and looking on Jeep Air's website it looks like they lump 2002-2004 together just wondering if I could get away with a larger range.

I didn't call. I'm thinking about pulling it from a jeep that could pop up on facebook marketplace that's being parted out. I'd feel bad if I didn't plan on purchasing from them. The only part difference for 04-06 and 00-01 was the 00-01 has a vacuum hose listed

I have an 05 wrangler. The kit for like oem. I had a problem with the control head diverting to defrost. Took about 2 weeks to get fixed. In the end, they sent me a total of 3 control heads and a vacuum harness. I can not praise then enough for the customer service. They will get you squared away of you purchase their kit. I went with the upgraded compressor. I'm currently in an automotive a/c class. I brought it in pulled vacuum, checked for leaks, and filled the system all without incident. Everything fit like oem and no leaks. Ac works great.

I have an 05 wrangler. The kit for like oem. I had a problem with the control head diverting to defrost. Took about 2 weeks to get fixed. In the end, they sent me a total of 3 control heads and a vacuum harness. I can not praise then enough for the customer service. They will get you squared away of you purchase their kit. I went with the upgraded compressor. I'm currently in an automotive a/c class. I brought it in pulled vacuum, checked for leaks, and filled the system all without incident. Everything fit like oem and no leaks. Ac works great.
Sorry for the typos. Uuuggh,I hate typing on phones.

I will say this, put the evaporator in first. That is what took the most time. Entire dash had to be loosened and I shifted the passenger side out and up, held by a ratchet strap to the roll bar. I did the compressor next. After those two,everything else went quick.

Reactions: RHanna
I will say this, put the evaporator in first. That is what took the most time. Entire dash had to be loosened and I shifted the passenger side out and up, held by a ratchet strap to the roll bar. I did the compressor next. After those two,everything else went quick.
Did you replace anything else since you were in the dash? I've wondered if it was worth changing the heater core since it's such a pain to work on all that stuff.

Did you replace anything else since you were in the dash? I've wondered if it was worth changing the heater core since it's such a pain to work on all that stuff.
I didn't, but the entire heater box has to come out and be separated. I took plenty of photos to be able to get it back together. If there ever was a time to replace it, this would be it.

I didn't, but the entire heater box has to come out and be separated. I took plenty of photos to be able to get it back together. If there ever was a time to replace it, this would be it.
I did check it and clean everything in there. Also while you have the box out, check all actuator levers for cracks. The smallest Crack will break eventually.

Reactions: RHanna
Did you remove the steering wheel? Were any special tools required to replace the evaporator?

Wow….that all sounds like a lot of work. My 2001 is on its 21st year with no heater issues (maybe not as hot as it was) and a few minor AC issues (leak tested fine but still seems to need a refill every few years…not right term, drawing a blank). I have lots of free time over the summer, is there any preventative maintenance that might not be normally be done because of the difficulty that I should consider on either AC or heater?

Realize you’re doing an entire install, but I never realized the number of components…all I know is that the compressors go bad occasionally. Are any of the other components failure prone, especially since we don’t treat our Jeeps like normal cars…a lot of bashing and bouncing I assume can reduce life in things that would last near forever.

Wow….that all sounds like a lot of work. My 2001 is on its 21st year with no heater issues (maybe not as hot as it was) and a few minor AC issues (leak tested fine but still seems to need a refill every few years…not right term, drawing a blank). I have lots of free time over the summer, is there any preventative maintenance that might not be normally be done because of the difficulty that I should consider on either AC or heater?

Realize you’re doing an entire install, but I never realized the number of components…all I know is that the compressors go bad occasionally. Are any of the other components failure prone, especially since we don’t treat our Jeeps like normal cars…a lot of bashing and bouncing I assume can reduce life in things that would last near forever.
If it needs to be refiled, you have a leak. It is a closed sealed system.

Having went to school and getting my A/C ASE cert, ive learned allot that i never thought of. If your system leaks all the way out , you should fix the leak (usually an oring), then right before you are going to oull vacuum to leak check and fill, replace your accumulator. It is full of desiccant and draws moisture in. If you dont replace it and refill with refrigerant, it will combine and form and acid that slowly destroys the internals.

Dont worry about the compressor until it goes bad. They are considered maintenance free.

When i installed my evaporator, i did t have to remove the steering wheel. I did have to take out the nuts that hold the steering column in and let it drop into the drivers seat. Then the whole dash had to be unbolted and swung out of the way to get the hester box out. I have a bunch of leaves and small twigs up against my heater core in the box. Cleaned that all out and installed the evaporator.

As for the ac system i went with, i only really ran into one problem. The control panel that came with the system didnt work correctly. After many conversatio s with customer service and a couple hours with a vacuum gauge, they sent a different control panel and it worked. Great customer service.

Awesome, thanks for the details. About four years ago a shop did a leak test and said they found nothing, but yet they said they added refrigerant and a couple years prior I added refrigerant. Maybe I have a ver slow leak.

Any recommendation on where I should start with the orings?

As for the heater core, I likely have the same twigs and leaves accumulated around it…would it help to clear those out…again system isn’t bad just seems not quite as hot as past.

Thanks!

Reactions: Blondie70
For leaks, if the ac mechanic used a leak dye test, then a u/v light in a dark garage or at night should show up .

For the heater core, there are2 places to check. The first, and easiest is to take off the cowl right behind the hood and check for buildup. The next, is not so pretty. You would have to get the dash out of the way and pull the evap/heater box unfortunately.

Sorry to hijack but I figured someone here might be able to identify the round AC duct that passes behind the glove box, as shown in the attached photo from a YouTube video.

Mine disintegrated so I need the part number, but I can't find it shown in any of the OEM parts diagrams.

Closest thing I can see listed is the door demister duct, but the diagram shows it's part of a manifold...

Screenshot_20220530-174102_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220530-174018_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
For leaks, if the ac mechanic used a leak dye test, then a u/v light in a dark garage or at night should show up .

For the heater core, there are2 places to check. The first, and easiest is to take off the cowl right behind the hood and check for buildup. The next, is not so pretty. You would have to get the dash out of the way and pull the evap/heater box unfortunately.
Thanks! Have never taken the full dash off, so might be the summer to do that and check. I have done the cowl, but that was many years ago so will start there.

Thanks!