What's a fair price for a used Warn M8000?

RMETeeJay

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just found a used, older model M8000 with synthetic line and fairlead locally and they're asking $450. Seller says it's in good working condition and they have a controller for testing purposes.

This would be my first winch, so I don't have any of the associated gear. I think I'd want to get a controller for it. Anything else I should look out for when I check it out in person?

UsedWarnM8000.jpg

To me that's a too much for a used M8000 in that condition. Since it's that rusty on the outside I'd wonder about its condition inside. I've seen them go on sale brand-new for not much more than that, albeit not with synthetic line but...

Reactions: Halfstock and ejay
Thanks, @Jerry Bransford . I thought it was a bit high too, although it does include the fairlead and synthetic line so I thought I'd ask. I know they can be reconditioned, but I wouldn't know what parts I'd need until I tore it down, etc., so that's an unknown.

What do you think is a fair offer?

Thanks, @Jerry Bransford . I thought it was a bit high too, although it does include the fairlead and synthetic line so I thought I'd ask. I know they can be reconditioned, but I wouldn't know what parts I'd need until I tore it down, etc., so that's an unknown.

What do you think is a fair offer?
I'm not so sure I'd even make him an offer for it in that condition. New Warn winches come with the roller fairlead so that's not an extra. Maybe wave two $100 bills in his face letting him see an empty wallet at the same time and say that's your final offer based on its rusty condition.

Thanks, all. I'm going to keep an eye out for one on sale and budget for synthetic to keep the weight down. I know there are cheaper options out there, but I want to buy made in USA.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I paid $100 for a warn xd9000i that was in rough shape. No cable or rope and as it turned out, the motor was shot. So much for “ the deal of the century “, the motor is going to be about $200 for a warn motor (I could get a “ replacement “ for $100) and I spent about $50 on paint and parts and I picked up a NIB warn cable for $50. So for $400 and some elbow grease I’ll have a nice Warn winch.

Reactions: Mrgreg66
I'm partial to Ramsey. Never been a Warn fanboy.

But, to echo what's already been said...no $450 is way too much for that heap.

How about this NOS one for the same price? Ad says it has never been used. I looked up the 'CE' and it means that it was made for European markets and is essentially the same.
m8000full.jpg

NOSWarnM8000.jpg

m8000specs.jpg

Keep your eyes open and on craigslist. I found a New in Box M8000 with synthetic line for $600. The deals are out there!

Reactions: matkal
I bought my warn M8000 brand new (with cable not synthetic) for 450 brand new and it came with a 50 dollar rebate. It was a Black Friday deal. I figure I would use the cable then if or when it needed to be replaced I would replace it with a synthetic maybe, but really I have never had any issues with my cable before. For the money I am happy.

If you are not familiar checkout offer up too. You might find something there used too. I agree with the others the first one is way too expensive, and I know you guys like the synthetic, but when buying it used, I wouldn't think of that as part of the deal, because you may have to replace it, and you can buy a new one with cable and replace with synthetic if you prefer, so you actually may get a better deal with one with a cable if you plan on replacing the line anyway.

Reactions: lowranger