What's a real Jeep?

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So, the thought occurred to me after a few bourbons and a few to many hours on the line...

What is a real Jeep?

A CJ5? A TJ? A JK?

I know it depends on your experience and point of view. But what do you consider a real Jeep?

Hum. Looking forward to see where this topic goes. I think they're all "real". Some may be considered more "classic" than others. For me thats the CJ7 Brown and Gold Renegade. But at the end of the day I'm mostly a TJ guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the thought occurred to me after a few bourbons and a few to many hours on the line...

What is a real Jeep?
A CJ5? A TJ? A JK?
I know it depends on your experience and point of view. But what do you consider a real Jeep?

Any episode of M*A*S*H* !! I almost wanted to solid mount the engine fan just to recreate that sound.

Basic "jump in and go" transportation in a simple time.

Reactions: Chris
A real Jeep:
Four wheel drive.
I have to be able to fix it myself, in the driveway, or on the trail with basic hand tools and a shop manual.
The parts to fix it have to be available in a general store in Montana.
When I get in and twist the key, it's gotta start 99.9% of the time.
It's gotta run, even though it may not run well.
It can't be picky about oil, gas, spark plugs or tires.
I can't feel bad about throwing a dead Elk, a chain saw or a roll of fencing wire and t-posts in the back.
No part on a Jeep can be larger than I can manage by myself in the snow and rain under a tree.
I have to be able to open the doors, remove the floor coverings without tools, and use a hose and a rag to clean out the interior.

Last edited:
A real Jeep:
Four wheel drive.
I have to be able to fix it myself, in the driveway, or on the trail with basic hand tools and a shop manual.
The parts to fix it have to be available in a general store in Montana.
When I get in and twist the key, it's gotta start 99.9% of the time.
It's gotta run, even though it may not run well.
It can't be picky about oil, gas, spark plugs or tires.
I can't feel bad about throwing a dead Elk, a chain saw or a roll of fencing wire and t-posts in the back.
No part on a Jeep can be larger than I can manage by myself in the snow and rain under a tree.

That's impressive if you can fit a dead elk in the back. I'd never even think to try that.

That's impressive if you can fit a dead elk in the back. I'd never even think to try that.
Not all in one piece. Quartered up and put in game bags though, a 7-800# Elk fits in the back of a TJ pretty well. (4-500# of meat and a head.) Just stack it in there like luggage. The Jeep smells like dead Elk every time it gets wet for awhile, but hey, it's a Jeep, right?

Reactions: outdoorguytex
Not all in one piece. Quartered up and put in game bags though, a 7-800# Elk fits in the back of a TJ pretty well. (4-500# of meat and a head.) Just stack it in there like luggage. The Jeep smells like dead Elk every time it gets wet for awhile, but hey, it's a Jeep, right?

This makes me smile. I can just picture it. Top down and an elks head seat belted into the passenger seat with the antlers sitting a foot over the windshield.

This is a photo from 2 years ago. Taking two Michigan whitetail bucks to be butchered in my brother-in-laws minivan. Each buck weighed about 140 pounds. It would be a tight fit to double the meat and halve the space. Please note my 6 month old nephew in the car seat. He was a trooper throughout this whole ordeal.

IMG_2553.JPG

This makes me smile. I can just picture it. Top down and an elks head seat belted into the passenger seat with the antlers sitting a foot over the windshield.

This is a photo from 2 years ago. Taking two Michigan whitetail bucks to be butchered in my brother-in-laws minivan. Each buck weighed about 140 pounds. It would be a tight fit to double the meat and halve the space. Please note my 6 month old nephew in the car seat. He was a trooper throughout this whole ordeal.

View attachment 8133

Those would fit a whole lot better if you did a little preliminary disassembly...:)

At one time you could tie the head onto the grill and front bumper. The liberal elements around here got a law passed that prohibit that though. No dead critters across the hood any more.

View attachment 8133

Typical Yooper. HaHa!

Reactions: StG58 and UpperMI
So, I gotta ask...You guys from Michigan don't skin and quarter up your critters in the woods?

We usually lit them hang from our buck poles for a few days so other Yoopers can see our kill. I always heard it's good to let the meat cure in its hide for a while as long as it's below freezing outside.

Reactions: StG58
It's a mixed bag around here. Lots of critters get thrown in the back of a pickup truck whole after the obligatory bleeding and gutting. Others do as I do and bleed, gut, skin, quarter and bag our game. The game bags get packed in snow or ice as available. The game bags then get hung in the shop or machinery shed for some days to age. It usually takes five game bags for the average Elk and two for the average Blacktail deer. For the Elk, it's one bag for each quarter and another for all the choice bits. The scavengers get all the offal and hide and bone and such. It's gone within a day or two. Then again, the countryside is such that if you don't chunk an Elk up, you can rarely get it out of the woods. Steep hills, thick brush, long distances and big critters. If you shoot one and it drops over an edge it may take you a day or two just to locate it and get it out of a creek bottom. Passed up a few shots just for that reason.

Anyway, back on topic...

What's real Jeep?

Had an Uncle that worked the oil fields when I was a kid. He always drove a Jeep. A Jeep pickup. Always white. Always fully rigged out (for the times, anyway). It said Jeep on it, but it wasn't a Jeep. Another Uncle had an unidentifiable flat fendered thing that was older than Moses, had more rust on it than a shipwreck and flathead 4 banger. Used it around the farm and in the woods. Now that was a Jeep. Both of my XJ's were Jeeps, but kind of pushed the definition a little. The neighbors Grand Cherokee (WJ?) isn't a Jeep. The wifes JKU isn't a Jeep right now, but it will be once it gets a little lovin. My TJ SE is a Jeep.

The old school Land Rovers and Land Cruisers aren't Jeeps, but fit the definition pretty well.

Reactions: Squatch
Like I said... They have to have solid axles. It's true!

Feeling a little Flexy today Chris? I know what you mean though. The Suburban has the IFS in it. What a nightmare that thing is. No flex and to many moving parts. It's received a new front axle already, and when this one goes it's getting the solid axle conversion. With manual hubs. Probably a Dana 60 to go with the Corporate 14 bolt in the rear. And leaf springs.

No IFS or IRS.

Size matters. The Commanders and Patriots are just bigger than a Jeep should be. The JKU's are really pushing it as well.

I know. I used to have a 4Runner, and while it was a good vehicle, the IFS in the front was just garbage. Too many moving parts, not a strong enough front diff, it's just crap, plain and simple.

And that's why I think if you want a true off-road vehicle, you need solid axle. Sure, IFS has its place in off-road racing (i.e. Baja), but that's completely different than what we are doing. We aren't trying to go fast and absorb bumps with our suspension.

Also, the nice thing with the TJ is it's small size. The JKU is great for the family, but obviously it can't go all the places the TJ can due to it's larger size.

IFS has limited suspension travel due to design. The racers with IFS are truly specialized rigs, with front suspensions that are almost a caricature of the suspensions you find on the street. The Oldest Daughter has a 4Runner, and loves it. Hauls the grand-kids around just fine out in the woods. It's narrow enough for almost all of trails we run, but the longer wheelbase and the IFS bite her in the backsides as often as not. The total wheel travel is something like 10 - 12". If one front wheel is at full stuff, that's it. The other wheel starts lifting soon after. On our TJ's with the solid front axles and coil springs etc. there is what, 30"+ of wheel travel? I don't know for sure because I haven't measured it. The JKU has a lot of wheel travel as well from full stuff to full droop, as much or more than the TJ it looks like. But that long frame and wider body is going to be an issue. I'm still not convinced that it isn't a Jeep though. Especially once you start playing with it a little. The straight up JK's are still Jeeps, but really, really nice. Maybe to nice.

Don't get me wrong. You could give me a JK but I spent weeks if not months searching for an authentic Jeep ride. That's why I bought my TJ. I will one day own a JK but never ever ever an JKU. I draw the line at long wheelbases. Then again, I'll take a Scrambler if anybody's taking notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BretStep and Chris